OPPO-What is the next go to player comparable to the Oppo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Masmusic, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I saw that too, no 7.1 analog outs. I'm anxiously awaiting reviews, if it's even available in the US.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

How can someone who never owned a 205 speak authoritatively about its strengths and weaknesses? I don't get it.

3. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure who you're quoting, but you need to be specific.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

General question. Isn't that why we list our equipment?

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As much as this thread has "drifted" somewhat which of course happens here on SH ;). But it'd be nice if the OP responded to the questions of what exactly he's looking for in a universal player.

jjay and Rocketstail like this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

There is a slight snag in that we only list our main system (well one system). Some of us have more than one system and these additional systems are not listed. My Oppo 205 is connected (via rca analogue) to an Arcam AVR300 which powers Dali Ikons (Ikon 7 main, Vokal 2 center and 4 Ikon On Walls for surround and just one Ikon sub (7.1 system)), this is the living room set up. Hence I needed the multi channel out of the 205 or upgrade my receiver, which I will do, once Dirac becomes cheaper, although NAD are making it quite tempting.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I listed both my main system and bedroom system in my profile. So it can be done as there's plenty of room to list multiple systems.

Dirac is well worth exploring. It really helps in my room especially with multichannel music. I listen to two channel music with analog without Dirac though.

8. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

If just narrowed to high PQ, and SACD/DVD-A capability and an excellent slideshow program ... what is out there? The DVD-A might be tough. And comparably good slideshows is tough too, times I've looked in the past.

9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

For 4k picture resolution we have:
    The two new Pioneers look very promising, I expect them to match or exceed the Oppo in picture quality (just because they're newer) and one would hope the LX800 matches or exceeds the Oppo in 2 channel analogue (because of it's price tag and that it SACD playback is based on Pioneers top of the range, dedicated, CD/SACD player).
    There is also the Sony x1000es although that doesn't have Dolby Vision

If analogue isn't required then there is the Sony x800 (no dolby vision) and x700 (dolby vision compatible and apparently better picture than the x1000es and x800 but no DVD-A ) plus the Cambridge CXU with Dolby Vision and DVD-A

If I hadn't bought an Oppo I would definitely be waiting to see the reviews on the upcoming Pioneer players before I made any purchase.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It will compete with some fairly pricey CD players but not likely something a lot more expensive. Then ultra expensive CD players aren't night and day better than some under £2K. Consensus is the 205 analogue output for stereo is much better than the 105. It's actually the ability to accommodate multiple disc formats that sets the 205 apart when most either don't do either of SACD or DVDA. The surprisingly great CD performance is a bonus. Could use a dedicated CD transport with the DAC section which is rather good.

11. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever! Thread Starter

Going to check out the Pioneer LX500...Thanks !

scobb likes this.
  12. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

13. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I've been a bit absent from the forums lately, so sorry to bump an older post... To answer a few questions that you've mentioned in this thread. I have owned both the 105D and currently the 205. I was one of the first in the country to own the 205 being as I live a few hours from Oppo. I A/B'd over the course of a weekend. And yes, it was a subtle step up in SQ from the 105D to the 205. But it IS better, period.
    Why are people paying such huge prices for the 205? Well, you'd have to ask them but obviously the demand is there. For me, I would MUCH rather have an all-in-one device rather than a CD player, 4k player and/or an SACD player. Oh, then there's DVD-A. My 205 does all of that and it does them quite well. When a player does all that and is no longer made, it should be worth a pretty penny. And the SQ despite you thinking 'it's good but not great' (as you stated earlier), IS pretty darned great. Give me a few of these "mid-level" receivers that sound better than using the Oppo's DAC/analog outs? All you need is a processor with decent analog stage (and 5.1/7.1 input) to use with the Oppo and you get anything a brand new $6k processor can do for spinning music/movies. Unless you prefer 12+ speakers, then you will probably like the new 11.2 processors. Plus the combo on Oppo/processor sounds as good or even better then the new stuff for a fraction of their price. Which is why I'm not upgrading my 'old' Krell HTS 7.1 processor.

For the record, the Oppo DAC is just very slightly inferior to my new Parasound Halo P6's (which can only do stereo, not MCH). The P6 model was just released a few months ago. It's a 2.1 channel preamp which costs $200 more than the Oppo did. And yet, it doesn't do anywhere near what the Oppo can in terms of codecs (unless you use the USB input which is worthless for spinning discs).

So to summarize, at $1299, the 205 was a steal. And the used market prices are proof of this.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

That's an even a better price than I got mine for! On the LX-500 thread some said it might heat up because of the chassis. Well there are vents at the bottom back and after 3 hours of playing Blu-ray discs yesterday it was only just slightly warm at the back. No more Cambridge Audio CXU-HD player so the Pioneer LX-500 and the Panasonic DP-UB9000 that hasn't come out yet are the only two in that price range now.

I picked the LX-500 2 days ago and it still seems the Pioneer LX-800 is still not coming to North America at this time.

ti-triodes likes this.
  15. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I got in on this. Mad at myself for not picking up the Oppo 203 (I didn't need the 205) so this will have to suffice.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for posting :). Just ordered one as at that price it's an excellent deal. Will see how it compares to the Oppo 203 and 205.

Cliff and ti-triodes like this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the new Pioneer LX-500 supports gapless playback via USB drive?

18. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Was getting excited until I realized no capability for surround sound.

19. IGD Positive

You mean analog outs for surround?

20. NewKidInTown

yes

21. IGD Positive

Yeah, neither of the new Pioneer elite models have that unfortunately.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Unfortunately universal players with a 7.1 analog output are rare to non existent. I stopping using analog for movies and multichannel audio years ago. For multichannel HDMI is the way to go IMO for many different reasons.

stereoptic and Galactus2 like this.
  23. NewKidInTown

Definitely appreciate the input...for me, this would require me to purchase a new hdmi receiver...this hobby can be maddening, and expensive!

Audiowannabee, Dave and scobb like this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The very reason I bought the 205!!! As it stands Oppo were the last manufacturer offering analogue surround sound DVD-A/SACD, however, if it's just for movies then the top Panasonic player will do.

AV seems to be a mugs game in trying to "keep up" with technology as it moves on so fast.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There are so many excellent AVRs with HDMI in all price ranges that it's well worth upgrading. You'll find that AVRs have much more flexible speaker settings and the ability to use room correction (if so desired). Then you'd be able to buy the Pioneer LX500 at a great price. Of course more money being spent but that's what this hobby (obsession ;)) is all about :help:!

Rocketstail and NewKidInTown like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.