OPPO-What is the next go to player comparable to the Oppo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Masmusic, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Now I know I’m hanging out here too much. And I spend too much money on Massdrop. Ordered the LX500 yesterday. :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

My suggestion is to buy a used universal player of your choice that still has a replacement laser assembly available. Buy one or two backup lasers and make friends with a good repair shop. I lived through the vinyl winter and others will live through the digital player winter as I am with my Esoteric and Marantz. Be a survivalist and when traveling in an austere environment bring it with you.

quicksrt, PhantomStranger and rischa like this.
  3. The Pioneer LX500 and LX800 look promising. Sounds like they will be able to play DSF/DFF (DSD) files from network devices and USB connected devices and output the sound in native DSD through the HDMI audio out connection.

What is the main difference between the LX500 and LX800? Is it similar to the difference between Oppo 203 and 205 (103 and 105 respectively), i.e. a higher quality analog output section?

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That's very generous of you and I'll be interested in hearing your feedback.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It looks like the analog section and build quality are the big differences between the LX500 and LX800.

UDP-LX800 - Introducing a flagship Universal Disc Player, for Reference-grade 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback | Pioneer

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

7. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I am not "thinking" - I do have 105 and use this great machine very often, so I do have experience and can compare. It is not nearly as good as even my PS Audio Gain Cell, a mid-priced DAC. I was under impression that SQ of 205 is similar to 105, and if it is not, then I am wrong and apologizing.
    But to the point of flexibility. Proper modern processor/receiver does so many things - room calibration, bass equalization, on the fly lip syncing (never underestimate variations in delays of A/V processing), Atmos and DTS-X processing (if required), etc, etc. Not mention switching between various sources (I have plenty - 2 players, game console, DirecTV, streamer, etc) and driving multiple displays (a must for me). A system complexity grows, so are requirements.
    Having said all that I would probably purchase 205 when it came out, but bugs and no streaming applications for Netflix and Amazon was a deal breaker due to my setup )).

8. The 205 has better DACs and a stronger analogue implementation than the 105 unit.

Lonson likes this.
  9. Old Zorki II

I already apologized for assumption that 205 and 105 sound similar )). That was my main mistake in logical sequence )).

10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

All of the benefits you mentioned for a processor aren't needed (nor wanted) for music. SQ is all that matters and room EQs degrade it 100% of the time. It's debatable if needed for movies unless you have really borked room acoustics. All that you need is a quality SPL meter and measuring laser/tape. Video switching should be done in the TV (quality splitter if you run out of HDMI inputs). Like audio, video gets degraded as it passes through other components/cables before entering the TV. But rather than keep arguing, I ordered an Anthem AVM60 to give it a try. I am doubtful it will sound better than my old Krell HTS 7.1 (which runs the audio tone flat) but you never know. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I definitely want to move toward ATMOS though.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's obvious you're not a fan of room correction or passing a video signal through a processor. That's cool. But where you're totally incorrect is when you state that "SQ is all that matters and room EQs degrade it 100% of the time" and "Like audio, video gets degraded as it passes through other components/cables before entering the TV". To prove both of your points why not show measurements where video quality is degraded by passing it through a processor and that room EQs degrade audio SQ 100% at all times.

It's one thing to have strong opinions against room correction and having video signals being passed through a processor. But to make the broad based statements as you have without factual data to back them up means they're just opinions and not remotely factual.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Done A Ton likes this.
  12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm not 'totally incorrect'. You just disagree, which is ok. I trust my eyes and ears. I used a Marantz AV7005 processor for over 6 years. Never once did it improve SQ, only degraded it. It sounded unnatural and harsh (bright). I like to listen to music and movies at fairly loud volume levels. Why pay all this money and not stretch the limits? When I A/B'd Audyssey (did so many, many times after adding sound panels, etc), it was quieter when disengaged but I could immediately tell which sounded more natural and pleasing... For video. you don't need anything special to try it. If you stream live TV, plug your streamer into your Oppo. I get more stuttering (jerky motion effects). I look for contrast differences (especially noticeable in DARK scenes). The blacks become more washed out. It's harder to make out finer details (end table next to a bed and the contents located on it, etc). I compare clarity in 4k HDR. Panning scenes of cities works great for this. All the fine details (windows, radio towers, etc) become more blurred/artifacts from the Oppo then when streamed directly into the TV. I don't feel the need to go out and buy test equipment to prove it to someone when I see what I see. I even buy quality after-market HDMI cables (Shunyata Venom)... The audio sounded better when run through the Oppo's DAC and 5.1 outs. So I really wanted it to look better. Really. I tried and tried different settings (auto worked best though), to get it to look at least as good. But it was futile.

quicksrt likes this.
  13. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

What is the best 4k bluray player under $1k? All I really care about is that it has the best possible video output quality. And doesnt sound as loud as a jet taking off, like my old LGUP970 did.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I found that Audyssey wasn't to my liking either. But once I tried Dirac with my Emotiva XMC-1 it was a totally different experience. My point being that you made a broad based statement that "SQ is all that matters and room EQs degrade it 100% of the time" which is totally an inaccurate statement. Why I say that is you don't say one specific room correction EQ system but all of them. I run all my video (HDMI) through my XMC-1 which has no video processing and is a straight pass through. I experience no video degradation at all. So again your statement of "video gets degraded as it passes through other components/cables before entering the TV" is not an accurate statement either. It is dependent on the processor as to how much the signal is degraded if at all.

You're citing several different components that you've experienced issues with. But you make statements as if they relate to all room correction systems and all processors where video is connected. That in my opinion is misleading. If someone is not knowledgeable in A/V components they would think using room correction or passing video through a processor is taboo. When in fact it isn't and just your opinion based on experience with a few different components.

15. Old Zorki II

I have Anthem 720 (the digital part is identical to AVM60, but of course SQ probably slightly little less refined being a receiver). I also use it to power my surrounds and Atmos height speakers, save me an extra amp and wires )). I also do not have balanced analog in - and AVM60 do.
    One thing may be annoying to you - no 5.1 input and no DSD processing. So if you are fan of multi-channel DSD you will have to setup your OPPO to convert it to PCM. It does not bother me, as I have only two dozen or so 5.1 SACDs, and so much happening in 5.1 then that conversion probably not noticeable, but YMMV. As for stereo SACD I always preferred OPPO analog out (DSF and DSD rips, however, sounds better via PS Audio DAC, to my ears at least).

16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Nah. I just listed my most current findings. Add a Sherwood P965 room EQ to the list. And before I knew better, I was running my Xbox 360/PS3/Xbox One and all other video sources through the Marantz. Then I decided that I would test running sources directly into the TV (a tip from a cable manufacturer). If they cable manufacturer wanted to sell me MORE cable, they would have asked me to run everything into the processor then out the processor to the TV. They could have sold me more cable by lying. I too was skeptical. But low and behold, I liked what I saw by taking all other components out of the video signal. Nothing is transparent, sorry. Maybe you can't see it and that's perfectly fine and lucky for you.

An EQ is essentially a band-aid to a larger problem. Either poor/sub-optimal frequency response of one's system and/or poor room acoustics. Or maybe you want to place your own master on a flat recording by adding an EQ? That's up to you. But no matter the situation, you are trying to fix another issue by adding un-natural (to the recording) frequencies to an existing audio stream. Maybe I am wrong but isn't that audio signal degradation by definition? I am asking a serious question, so forgive me if I am mis-leading anyone.

Bill, my example is easy enough for anyone to test. Plug your preferred streamer directly into the TV, watch closely and then plug it in down-stream (before your processor) and watch again. Take your time. Check for contrast, clarity, colors, smoothness of panning, etc. I am not asking anyone to take my word, it's an easy and free test to perform.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    quicksrt and Audiowannabee like this.
  17. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Any reason to sell the Oppo 203 now and get the Pioneer? The Oppo consistently selling on eBay for over $800. That'd make it a wash after fees to get the Pioneer from Massdrop.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you can order the LX500 on Massdrop and compare it directly to your 203. Then you would know for sure if the LX500 is a step up in performance than the 203. If not you could sell the LX500 and most likely get the purchase price without a problem.

19. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

OPPO-What is the next go to player compatible comparable to the Oppo?

21. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Massdrop just cancelled all orders for the Pioneer.

"We have discovered that there was an error when setting up this drop. There has been a delay in acquiring these units. Since that is the case, we have cancelled all orders for this drop and closed it down. You were not charged for this order.
    If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us!"

22. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Wow. That's a bummer.

23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I purchased an OPPO UDP-205 rather than anything else out there because there was nothing else out there, except the OPPO UDP-203 that delivers multi-channel analog output. This was a feature I had to have to enjoy multi-channel SACDs, since my pre amplification (Sony TA-P9000ES) does not have HDMI input. Now, if you have amplification featuring HDMI input then the OPPO becomes less compelling. Since purchasing the unit I have discovered two features which might be important to you that may not be available on competing players: first, the OPPOs front panel usb port will play multi-channel music gaplessly. That's nice if you are downloading multi-channel Classical Music files, like The Firebird. Also, the unit's usb DAC delivers state of the art stereo performance. I now mostly listen to my iTunes Library from that DAC. It just sounds spectacular, even AAC files.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad. Maybe Massdrop will give it another shot with the LX500 or maybe there just wasn't enough interest.

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That Massdrop deal always looked too good to be true

Rocketstail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.