ORB DF-01iA record flattener - Help*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereolove, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Actually, the issues you mention occurred in or around 2008 on Universal Music European Union pressings most of which were being pressed at GZ Media at the time. I had problems with the U2 'The Joshua Tree' 20th Anniversary 2LP issue at the time and also with a reissue of 'Achtung Baby'. There was no indication on these releases as to where they had been pressed, just the usual Universal Music address in Holland. A member in Australia whose Forum Name I can't remember exactly (maybe 'Turntable") but whose actual name I do know, had problems also with a slew of Universal releases such as Paul Weller etc. Despite diligent inquiries and searches I could never ascertain who pressed these titles but GeorgeZ, the forum member who works with GZ Media, later confirmed on the basis of matrix numbers, that the records in question had not been pressed at the Czech plant. Later, somebody informed me that the records had been pressed at Record Industry which was 'having problems at the time'. I think that the last mentioned explanation is credible as Universal engages Record Industry for some of its 'premium' releases. These records (2 in total) are the only ones that I have ever had problems with as regards flattening. The records actually melted! I have flattened pretty much everything on my 2005 era DF-01 without any problem whatsoever, Groove Guard, Flat Profile, 180 gram, 200 gram and even very light pressings etc. This would seem to be on a par with Bill's DF-02 Furutech model in terms of reliability/safety. Orb does exclude RCA discs (no groove guard), Sheffield Labs etc. but this advice came much later. For U.K. customers, it seems to me that Analogue Seduction in Peterborough is the way to go. The price seems pretty fair. They don't make big profits on these devices anyway, as far as I can see.

2. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

It can, at times, be difficult to get a response from Japanese companies. I have come across that before. Try to contact them again and see what happens. Alternatively, PM me and I will give you details of my contact there. I am sure they wouldn't turn away the business. It is, after all, a very niche product.

Fractured likes this.
  3. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

im really close to pulling the trigger on one of these...as a current user of the Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch combo even! Ive had 85% success rate (my guesstimate) with VF/GP as far as getting albums into very close to a flat and playable shape, but this ORB machine looks like what i really need. I was given a few hundred albums, and 1/3 are warped due to how they were leaning upon each other for years.

My general question is using the DF-01iA with the Groovy Rings vs. purchasing the seemingly hard to find DF-01iA+ with it's supplied rings...does it really matter which method gets you there?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

What will they think of next to extract cash from us?
    I have never, in 45 years of collecting records, ever thought I might need to flatten them lol.

5. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

looks like the US distributor is all out of them...has anyone ordered off of ebay from Japan for one of these? Id wager i would need some sort of power interface due to the Japan vs. US voltages?

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  6. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Yes, you would need a step-down transformer, I believe. (110/120 to 100V?)

Will Mockingbird (I assume that's who you're talking about) be getting more, or be able to order them? I was planning to order one of the "plus" models next month, which I know is a special order to begin with.

I have twice sent emails to Orb Japan about ordering the adapter kit separately, and to confirm the model differences, but have not received a response. So was just going to order the 01iA+ through the US (even though I'm Canada; haven't found a source here). Disappointing if that's no longer an option.

7. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

Pretty sure mockingbird is ordering some more. Might want to call them up

8. kiwi_pressing

kiwi_pressing Well-Known Member

Gosh, my bad, I never replied to your earlier post about emailing Orb! My apologies, I got lost in deciding on gear purchases.

I can have a go at replying to their original email to ask about the adapters. I suspect they are clever business folk, who are charging a premium for the ‘+’ model when the only difference is cheap adapters. In a perfect world we could buy them for $20 a pop to complement the standard model. But that would be a poor business model for Orb.

When I emailed Phillip @ Mockingbird in January, he confirmed he can get the ‘+’ model ordered for $200 more than the standard model. He quoted a price of $1200 including shipping for the standard model, so $1400 for the ‘+’. Shipping to Canada will be slightly more. He really recommends buying the standard model and using the groovy rings (see my earlier post). Phillip will look after you I’m sure.

I’m lukewarm on buying this. Primarily because I’ve just forked out for a used C49, new amp, and really want to spend all my life savings on a major turntable upgrade to play all that warped vinyl on. Oh dear, my wife is going to kill me.

Let me know if you’d like me to reply to Orb, and if there’s anything specific to ask aside from the adapters.

9. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Thanks for the offer, @kiwi_pressing! All I would like is a way to buy the adapter set separately. And to confirm that this is the only difference. I don't care if they charge me the equivalent of whatever the upcharge is. (Prices were $1150 and $1300 on the Mockingbird site, but I never got a shipping price to Canada on the plus.)

Personally, I think it would make it easier for ORB and their dealers to just have one model and to offer the adapter kit separately, if that's the only difference.

And I don't understand how Philip's alternatives to the adapters are functionally equivalent. If he came up with an exact replacement, for less money, that would be great, for sure. And I don't disagree that the difference in price is a little high for what you get
    However, I'm just not convinced that what he's suggesting will work for flat-edge records (of which I have quite a few), and I feel more comfortable getting the ones designed, by the manufacturer, for that purpose.

10. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have the + model and also the Groovy rings. I use both, but for different purposes. Generally, I prefer not to apply pressure to the play area of the records, Groovy rings or not. The adapter effectively prevents that for flat-edge records, which is a good thing. Compressing flat-edge records between the bare Orb glass plates would be definitely asking for trouble. Normal records with raised-edge (groove guard) take care of themselves without any adapter needed. I have, however, encountered several records (with groove guard) that had wavy uneven surface that did not flatten between the bare glass plates. I sent those records through another flattening cycle, this time sandwiched between the Groovy rings and in most cases it flattened them completely or to a large extent, with no damage. So I guess I could see Phillip's point that you could conceivably flatten flat-edge records without the adapters, but with the Groovy rings instead and cause no damage.

I have flattened about 50 records so far. Out of those I ruined two in the process. One of them while using the Groovy rings, but the damage cannot be attributed to them. Both records were well below the minimum weight recommended by Orb (95g, 105g). One has completely melted and lost shape, the other developed audible dimples all over the surface.

Fractured likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That lower weight would rule out most UK EMI pressed records from the late 70's to early 90s as well as Dynaflex. I suppose few of them are that valuable anyway. Sounds like the rings are essential. So many dished records were flat profile from Classic Records and QRP are still making them (with dishes).

oregonalex likes this.
  12. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

Are the recent QRP (200/180) and RTI (180) pressings made with groove guard profile? Sometimes it doesn't seem like something very obvious just by looking at it, in some cases we can see the "bump" on the edge of the disc clearly but not always... is there a way to be sure?

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Both companies are active on social media and have websites. You can ask about specific records if you want to be sure.

The most recent RTI and QRP records I have are not flat profile - they have some kind of groove guard. These are normal "audiophile" pressings, not one-step editions.

BTW, QRP doesn't do the 200g LPs anymore, but there is still old stock to move.

AudioTimes likes this.
  14. AudioTimes

I suppose it works fine, when in doubt, if I use the adapters anyway, even if the LP actually has a groove guard...

I just got mine today and am testing it :)

Learned the hard way that the machine needs to be opened sloooooowly to remove the LP, the first time I did it FAST and the disc was stuck to the top glass plate for a split second, then dropped loudly over the spindle, causing a nice scratch :(

patient_ot likes this.
  15. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Ouch! :eek: Thanks for the warning!

Let us know of your experience. I'm planning to order next month, if available.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The AP UHQR 200 gram are flat profile, the standard 200 gram and 180 gram are not.

AudioTimes likes this.
  17. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

my DF-01ia was delivered yesterday and i have the inaugural run going as i type. is there a specific way to know if an album has that 'groove guard' on it at the lead in? should it be both visible and feel-able?

18. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

You can feel it with your fingertips. Even through a plastic inner sleeve.

AudioTimes likes this.
  19. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

thank you, sir!

20. AudioTimes

Unfortunately I don't have much time to test it, I did try it on one record (a new LP, not 180g, probably 150g, and not being sure about the groove guard I used the adapters) that was slightly warped in a kind of uneven way... ran the machine on the default 12" Medium setting, and indeed after 4 hours the record came out perfectly flat. But, it also has some sideways action from the stylus going on, and I can't be sure if that was there before or not... probably was but the "up-and-down" was hiding it from sight. Anyway, it plays perfectly, and I'm happy with the result.

I need to find a place for this machine, this thing is HUGE, not easy to find a good platform or shelf to put it on, in a regular apartment.

About the record being stuck to the top plate and falling as I opened the machine, I must say this was definitely my mistake (or precipitation) because they do warn on the instructions manual to open the machine very slowly... unfortunately they don't explain why they recommend it, so that's how I learned, by doing it wrong ;)

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  21. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Excited to hear more about this machine. I’m filing warped vinyl until I get to 1K to justify it.

22. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I bought an Orb DF-02 about 12 years ago direct from Japan.

I have flattened over 1000 over the years with no issues. I use it more than ever now as so many 180gm pressings are dished.

It has been the best hifi purchase I have ever bought.

23. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Do you use a step-down? If so how many watts?

24. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

very impressed by this device..im 3/3 on getting records flat with one being at 107 grams.

Fractured and Soundslave like this.
  25. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

yes, I run a step down from 240 volts. 200 watt step down. The DF-02 draws 100 watts when working.

cheers