Orchard Audio PecanPi+ Streamer/DAC/Preamp/Headphone Amp Tour

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by orchardaudio, May 20, 2023.

1. orchardaudio

orchardaudio Orchard Audio Thread Starter

This thread is to start of the tour of the PecanPi+ Streamer, which seems to have enough interest.

Info on the product can be found here:
    PecanPi+ Streamer - Hi-Fi Networked music player

The streamer will be configured with Volumio and have the optional RCA outputs.

Interested parties so far:
    @RonN5
    @CarmineRed
    @mynameischet
    @timind

Joining the Tour:
    For anybody else who is looking to join the tour please send me a message through the contact us form on the website.

Tour Rules:
    Participants are responsible for the cost of shipping to the next person.
    After trying out the streamer, participants have to write their thoughts in this forum thread.
    Participants get to try the streamer for 7-days

kyouki and Prighello like this.
  2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

Well, since you're bringing one over tomorrow I don't think I'll need to sign up for this one :laugh:

The Starkrimson amp sounds fantastic by the way :righton:

312elements, orchardaudio and timind like this.
  3. orchardaudio

For anybody else who is looking to join the tour please send me a message through the contact us form on the website. Please include your full address and forum handle in the message. Note if you do not get a confirmation page the message did not go through.

4. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

I sent you a message through the contact form.

orchardaudio likes this.
  5. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

I wasn't added to the que. I know I'm a pain in the a**

6. orchardaudio

As of so far, I have only had 1 person submit all the needed information. If you are interested please follow the instructions below. I will start the tour once we have at least 3 individuals.

Upcoming Individuals:

1. @ejk1

Joining the Tour:
    For anybody else who is looking to join the tour please send me a message through the contact us form on the website. Please include the following information:
    • Full address
    • Phone Number
    • Forum Handle
    Note, if you do not get a confirmation page the form was not submitted.

Tour Rules:
    After trying out the streamer, participants have to write their thoughts in this forum thread.

7. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

Contact info sent

orchardaudio likes this.
  8. orchardaudio

As of so far, I have only had 2 people submit all the needed information. If you are interested please follow the instructions below. I will start the tour once we have at least 3 individuals.

Upcoming Individuals:

1. @ejk1
    2. @RonN5

Joining the Tour:
    For anybody else who is looking to join the tour please send me a message through the contact us form on the website. Please include the following information:
    • Full address
    • Phone Number
    • Forum Handle

Tour Rules:

9. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I have Aurender N30 which is one of the top streamer available now.

My Dac is Chord Dave and Mscaler modified with three Farad LPS.

I would like to be in line for this tour.

If I like it, I may use it when I set up second system on the third floor of my house.

barondla and orchardaudio like this.
  10. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

I enjoyed listening to the Pecan Pi with the Starkrimson here on Sunday. The sound was detailed and inviting, but call me set in my ways, I think I still prefer my CDs to streaming :p

11. orchardaudio

Will be starting off the tour with # 1 below shortly.

Upcoming Individuals:

1. @ejk1
    2. @RonN5
    3. @thomaskong
    4. @RDSChicago

Joining the Tour:
    • Full address
    • Phone Number
    • Forum Handle

Tour Rules:

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    barondla likes this.
  12. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

From the various reviews, it seems that the Pie+ is getting a lot of accolades for its DAC. That is my main interest and what I’ll be comparing with the ESS 9038 based DAC in my Oppo 205 which I run RCA out into a David Belles 22a preamp.

My hope is to run the Oppo SPDIF out to the Pie+ to a different preamp input which should allow easy comparison.

If I end up with any weird hum or feedback from having the Oppo connected to the preamp through two outputs, it will be easy enough to plug and unplug.

The Oppo has 7 built in filters, I can here a slight differences between four of them, so I’m sure there will be a difference with the Pie+.

The ESS 9038 is sometimes described in some implementations as very analytical… but not in my system, possibly because it has influenced my other component choices.

I’d like to thank Leo for doing this… and I may just give streaming a try.

orchardaudio likes this.
  13. orchardaudio

The streamer is on its way to @ejk1, I just dropped it off at the local post office.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    barondla and ejk1 like this.
  14. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

One question I have for Leo is that the Oppo allows for SPDIF output to be either bitstream or LPCM at 48, 96 or 192k....which is your recommended setting for inputting into the Pie+?

15. orchardaudio

The PecanPi+ supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192k, on the SPDIF input. I recommend sending the native resolution of what you are playing.

If you have to pick just one do 192k, this way non of your content gets downsampled, if you don't have any 192k content chose 96k, etc.

16. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

So to be clear that would be LPCM and not bitstream?

17. orchardaudio

Sorry I am not familiar with Oppo and don't know what that means in the context of their products.

18. orchardaudio

19. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

More often than not, you'll want bitstream. The potential for better audio quality and the flexibility to use coaxial outputs puts it ahead of PCM. The only situation where PCM comes out on top is when using secondary audio streams.Sep 22, 2021

20. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

Interesting article in that it says that Oppo does a great job with PCM… since switching back and forth with bitstream is simple, I’ll try both.

orchardaudio likes this.
  21. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

Pecan Pi+ will arrive today, only a day via USPS. Pays to live only about 25 miles from Leo. Like RonN5 I will also a/b it against my Bluesound Node and MHDT Orchid DAC switching between inputs. I don't expect any type of feedback because I already run the Node between 2 different amps without any problems. I also want to try using it as a preamp and see what that gets me.

orchardaudio likes this.
  22. orchardaudio

PecanPi directly into amp should yield the best performance. Enjoy the journey and the music...

23. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

Thats what I have heard but it's hard to get away from tubes.

24. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

Unit has arrived. I only got to unbox it but I like the weight on this thing, very substantial not what I expected. Waiting for the friggen cleaning girl to leave so I can get this party started.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    timind, barondla and orchardaudio like this.
  25. barondla

barondla Forum Resident

I have the Oppo 105 hooked to an Ayre Codex DAC via optical. Both use the same Sabre DAC chip. I find the lpcm 192 setting better than bitstream. Less digital sounding, slightly more body and more depth. This is on WAV files. Only have 1 or 2 discs with no loss DTS.

If I set Oppo to lpcm 192 it will play any resolution. Picking 96 or 48 limits the output to that spec. Guessing it down samples. The Codex reads out sample rate. So the only real choices seem to be lpcm 192 or bitstream.
    Thanks,
    barondla

RonN5 likes this.