Ordered a CD online - authentic or fake?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Phono Groove, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been ordering new cds on ebay for years, I usually order from the same merchants. This time I ordered Charlie Byrd's - the artistry of ( from a long time merchant that i have been buying from ) The cd came today sealed, everything looks legit except the cd itself. Looks like it is a cd-r , I popped it in my Oppo player and it reads at 16/44 and sounds just fine. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I just purchased a CD from Amazon and received a CDR. That is not satisfactory for me and I have no idea if it is legit or a boot.

I think Amazon rips authorized CDRs sometimes but I avoid them.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Check the listing again, they normally mention that the items are copies where applicable If they did not you should be able to return for credit.

tmtomh, Sneaky Pete and Leonthepro like this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I will be even more careful in the future. I gave it to a friend that’s not too picky.

5. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

It's happened to me before from Amazon. I ordered a copy of Iggy Pop's Skull Ring. I was surprised, the album itself isn't that old, but it's out of print. It arrived and looked okay, but there was a duplication glitch close the end of the CD that copied skipping of the disc during the recording. I sent it back, got another with the same issue. After that I got a refund and ordered a used copy off somewhere else. After that I doubt I'll ever order another one with the tag indicating it will be manufactured by Amazon's on demand service.

ClassicalCD and Sneaky Pete like this.
  6. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Amazon doesn't seem to indicate that a disc is a copy (CD-R) anymore on some releases. For example, this listing used to read "manufactured on demand", no more:

https://www.amazon.com/Mystic-Soldi...id=1523321209&sr=1-2&keywords=Mystic+Soldiers

tmtomh and bluemooze like this.
  7. Phono Groove

8. 9la

9la Forum Resident

9. Phono Groove

Although these cds are cd-rs are they sourced from the same source as the "original" cds?

10. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Very possibly. The CD-Rs are created by the original producers. To my ears, the Amazon sound samples are quite good.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It's a Concord CD-R, not an Amazon CD-R. Unfortunately the old Fantasy catalog seems to be moving to CD-R. You even have to check used copies anymore, sadly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.