Original Hanna-Barbera studios might be razed by year's end

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, first of all, it was their SECOND studio. The Jetsons, Flintstones, Top Cat, Ruff & Reddy, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Quick Draw McGraw, Wally Gator, Snooper & Blabber, Pixie & Dixie, Snagglepuss, Augie Doogie, Dinky Duck and others were created at their original studio, BEFORE they moved into this place.

Secondly, it's a pretty darn ugly building. That picture shows the good side of the building. It really wasn't designed to be a showplace.

My old mastering place Future Disc Mastering Studios is across the street and when you see the building, it does NOT impress.

Now, I love old stuff and hate to see LA history razed, but this really isn't the greatest building in LA in danger of being demolished, unless one is really in to Scrappy Doo and Xeroxed animation.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

No nostalgic feelings for this place, eh Steve? ;)
    Where was their first studio located? Is it still around?

Dan C

4. Steve Hoffman

Just a building in Hollyweird. Can't remember where exactly. William & Joseph were not exactly into, um, spending money on such frivolity as decor.

I was in the second building in the late 1970's visiting animator Harry Love who laid a bunch of cells on me. I really wasn't into JabberJaw but it was great talking to him about the old days of animation. He looked around his office and said: "I'm lucky to still have a job in this business, but it's nothing like it used to be"...

5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Sounds like Harry Love is talking about the music business!!!:(

6. Ben

Ben New Member

Steve...why am I remembering a building off the 101 near Universal
    Studios?

I think there's a Mercedes dealership located there now...

I remember (as a kid - so a bit foggy - sheesh 30 years ago!) seeing their sign just N of Ventura Blvd as we were westbound on the 101 into the Valley....

Ai-yi-yi...I'm going senile....

Ben

7. Steve Hoffman

That's the place, Ben. Right up the street from the Nissan dealer...The 101 is their back yard...

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Ah, good...a few brain cells still firing...for the moment...

Oh - for a Flooky's Hot Dog, though...(sniff, sniff)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.