Original (Japanese) Godzilla Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RDK, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

2. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

But don't waste your time watching the trailer. Seriously.

(Though I know you will anyway. Whatever. You've been warned. It's not worth it.)

;)

3. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

This sounds crazy, but I just finished putting subtitles on a DVD-R of the japanese laserdisc. I bought the laserdisc awhile ago, but it was a japanese import with no english subtitles. Someone sent me a bootleg VHS of a print with subtitles and I used that as a reference.

It's a great movie, much better than the American edit with Raymond Burr. But I have to admit, the person who figured out how to fit Raymond Burr into the film and get around the Japanese dialog was extremely clever.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Funny, I had the opposite reaction. After I got the Toho Laserdisc I watched it a bunch. I found I missed ol' Raymond. He actually moves the friggin' story along better. They were darn clever getting him to do that. Turned this copycat ripoff of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms film into an international cult classic; the Nikon of monster movies.

5. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

I thought it was a more subtle film and more in line with the pacing of the old Universal (pre-1936) horror films. And the picture quality certainly seemed better.

6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

LOVE THAT!!!
    We have a NEW standard of excellence!
    Just hope the new DVD does justice too this classic.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

It opened today at The Film Forum in NYC. I work about 4 blocks from the Film Forum. Be putting together a posse to take in a screening next week. :agree:

Also got Monty Python's Life of Brian currently unspooling at the Sunshine Cinema in downtown Manhattan. Gotta squeeze in a screening of that one, too! :agree:

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I am so there being a major Godzilla fan. They really are very different movies the original and the American version. What always amazes me is just how little dubbing there is in the American version. They shot a lot of additional footage for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.