Original UK Tommy...Is it Worth It?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jefhart, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

My local mom & pop shop has what they say is an original UK Tommy for $40. Didn't get a chance to inspect it, as it was wrapped up and I wasn't sure I was interested. Looked good from the outside. The point is, if it is an original is this a good price? (assuming good condition). I have the Simply Vinyl edition, which is very good. Can I expect significant improvement from the original UK? Thanks in advance for the input.

Jeff

2. vex

vex New Member

I went through a similar scenario recently. I had a US Decca WLP that I thought was yummy until I got an early 70's Track reissue. I thought that was yummy until I got an original Track pressing. Sheer bliss. I haven't heard the Simply Vinyl release, but $40.00 for an original Track is a killer price, assuming the condition is sweet. Check to see if the booklet has a limited edition number. Only original pressings have the number. Reissues are blank where the number is supposed to be printed.

3. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

yes, the original track tommy beats 'em all, imo. :)

4. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep those opinions coming.:)

Jeff

5. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

If you can't part with $40 for the UK Track, $25 for the Simply Vinyl pressing is a great alternative. I have lived without the UK original for a long time and unless I can rebuy it for a decent price, I will be happy with the SV LP.
    IMO $40 is a decent price but it has to be in at least EX shape to be worth it. Tommy has a lot of quiet passages and surface noise would be very distracting. Good luck! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.