origins of "Collectables" cd reissue label and a rare jazz release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chewy, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recommeneded on the jazz board that we need a wider net and need to reach out to SH forum to help with this. We cannot trace the origins of the "collectibles" cd reissue label, think, much like in the case word records/waco, tx. we have a relaese a poster found

[​IMG]

but this was not a Charlie Parker Records lp. it seems to be just some tape that was issued on this cd. I then checked my lone Collectibles cd that i ordered from boarders books to the store in 2009.....elvin jones midnight walk (orginally atlantic). it says manuf. by rhino, but then theres oldies.com and this cd is on charlie parker records which used to be dist by mgm and we have no idea whats going on here. Thanks for helping-

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

No expert on such things, but I have a few Collectables cds. Several are jazz 2 fers - Ramsey Lewis, Slide Hampton for example.

Most of the ones I have are pop and rock though.

I think the label was known for issuing anything it could get its hands on, no focus at all, and quite uncaring about the quality of the sources.

pscreed likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Send a well-worded e-mail (or better yet, an actual letter) to somebody at Oldies. Somebody there knows!

4. chewy

it still exists? :eek:

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Platterpus and chewy like this.
  7. chewy

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't know the history of Collectables, but I'm pretty sure it was around as a reissue label before cds debuted. In the beginning, their quality was generally suspect. They were willing to release product using whatever tape or vinyl dub they could get their hands on. I don't know the inner workings of their deal with Rhino, but at some point some of their cds started featuring the Rhino logo as well and I knew that those were safer to buy because at least decent sources would be used. Collectables also slapped their logo on some other labels' products after they went out of print, including some of those EMI Legendary Masters cd compilations. I never bought any of those because I already had the original issues, but from the looks of them I assume they just used the mastering done for the originals.

I think Oldies.com is simply a music retailer that's somehow affiliated with Collectables, though they sell products released by other labels as well. I have purchased from them in the past.

As to the cd in question, by "jazz board" maybe you mean a site I found at the top of the search results when I Googled the title of this release. Sounds like the consensus there is that this is a poorly presented audience recording that was likely not properly licensed. It isn't an official release that was reissued. I'm not sure that there is any other way to answer this question short of getting in touch with the people who put the product out, assuming you can do so and assuming they would be willing to answer your questions.

9. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Collectables goes back to the '80s,with Jerry Greene,who, besides other ventures,started the Record Museum chain in Philly. I got burnt a few times buying LPs at the Museum(only covers on display-the records were behind the counter). Some were promos ,paying full price.
    Greene & the "family"(Nina's ,for example,is named after Mrs. Greene).
    In the '90s,My store did irregular business with them via Gotham. They offered to send two copies of every CD in print with a great markup and a no questions asked return policy. In the era of lousy markups on CDs,that was a big deal. That filled up a speed table for browsing. I have to admit that ,as a vendor,they did exactly as they said. Pay the bill,what can they do nest? Collectables has a huge backstock in newly printed '45s. They throw nothing away. Site currently sells sealed VHS tapes. Not sure if the Oldies.com quonset hut still exists,but it could be seen on the Pa. Turnpike on the way to Philly.One can get lost on their website,and for a while,they sent me genre-specific catalogs,until I didn't buy ,but they may still making them. AFAIK,not open to the public.

Chazzbo13, MrSka57 and McLover like this.
  10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Ordered from them many times without problems, they're a good source of many hard-to-get items. Think Nina's, Collectables and Oldies.com are all one.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  11. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Add Alpha Video & Gotham Distributing into the soup,

12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

How are OLDIES as far as returns on vinyl if there's a problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.