Ortofon 2M Black body with 2M Blue stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrdc, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmrdc

jmrdc Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Blue stylus and a Black body (long story). I'm wondering if I can put the Blue stylus on the Black body - I've read all of the pitfalls of mixing the higher 2Ms with the lower 2M bodies, but want to know if they are compatible the other way around. Not entirely concerned with improving he sound quality, I just need to do this to necessitate a "situation" that I have.

Thanks!

70Vinyl.P likes this.
  2. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Yes, any of the 2M stylus are compatible with the Black body. All the OM series stylus will work with the Black body too.

3. jmrdc

Thank you for your response!

4. I doubt that. According to Ortofon's website, there are two groups: red and blue are interchangeable, as are bronze and black. But no interchanges between groups.

BKphoto likes this.
  5. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I believe it's a recommendation not a requirement? I'm pretty sure I've read about others doing this mix.

6. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

I did this just to see what happened some time ago. There was a slight decrease in depth and clarity but sonded good.

7. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Don't the OM Series have completely different cartridge bodies than the 2m Black? How can you use an OM stylus on an Ortofon 2m Black? I believe this is incorrect. Honestly, I am sure it would fit and work to use the 2m blue stylus on the 2m Black, but I don't think it is ideal. I've heard they are both excellent carts for their own price. I would either get a new black stylus or a blue body, depending on what your budget permits.

8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

You can absolutely put a 2M Red or Blue Stylus into a Black or Bronze 2M Cartridge.

9. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I have seen several different people claim that you can put an OM stylus on a 2M body. I have also read that you can put a 2M stylus on a OM body if you are intrepid enough to trim the stylus housing so it fits. I don't know if it will really work (or sound all that good) because I haven't done either. But it makes sense that it could work (to some degree) because the 2M series is based on the Super OM design. They look a lot different but, from what I understand, internally they're still similar.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  10. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Interesting! I would probably stick with their advice - red and blue 2m orange and black 2m bodies, but that's just me. I do like the experimentation though, so heck, try mixing the OM and 2m!

11. jmrdc

Thanks Cliff!

12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Can you put the 78 stylus with the Blue cart?

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have the 2M Black on my Scout 2. I also have a 2M Blue stylus leftover from my previous turntable. I'm thinking I might use the Black with my new albums and swap to the Blue for my records that are older and might not be in perfect conditon.

I'll report back after I try it.

14. Nubben

Nubben Well-Known Member

Hi 500Homeruns, did you try swapping them in the end?

Many thanks

Nubben

15. jmrdc

Not sure if 500H did it, but I've spent some time swapping my 2m Blue vs the 2m Orange, and it's pretty fun. The Blue sounds "harder," a little less finessed, and doesn't track as well as the Orange. Overall, both good carts. Blue definitely benefits from the Black/Orange headshell.

Paul H likes this.
  16. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

It was a little while ago, but I do remember the overall volume to be less with the Blue than with the Black.

17. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

All the 2M carts/styli are interchangeable & putting the Blue stylus on the higher spec body gives a sound quality significantly above that of a pure 2M Blue. I can recommend it.

I ran a 2M Black on my second table & often used the 2M Blue stylus with it. The sound is pretty close to a full 2M Black considering the considerable price difference. It also tracked better and had lower surface noice. Overall very good indeed - if I ever purchase a new stylus for this cart, it will be another Blue (at the moment the 2M is not being used).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Paul H likes this.
  18. Nubben

Nubben Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I have just started two new threads close to the topic of this one if you have any thoughts on those as well.

Many thanks again.

Nubben

19. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

just because you can, doesnt mean you should....not sure why you would mismatch, or choose to go down the ladder...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.