Ortofon 2M Blue vs AT-VM95ML Output

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, Oct 6, 2022.

1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 2M Blue rates 5.5 mV

The VM95ML rates 3.5 mV

Should the blue be louder?

I have a 2M Blue on a stock Pro-Ject 1XPression Carbon Classic and a VM95ML on a stock Technics SL-1210GR.

I have the Pro-Ject/2M Blue going into the phono pre of a Yamaha R-N602 into a Yamaha A-S1100.

I have the GR/VM95ML going into the phono pre of the Yamaha A-S1100.

The GR is louder and sounds more full bodied than the Pro-Ject. I thought it might be the phono pre and the R-N602 line out being lower in volume, but I swapped them and the GR still sounds louder and fuller going into the R-N602 compared to the Pro-Ject into the A-S1100.

Anyone know why this might be the case? I'm guessing the "fuller" sound is due to the different stylus profiles and carts, but shouldn't the Blue be louder? I thought it might be the turntables but they are just passive transports when you think about it. Is it a difference in the cabling between the two TTs? I was about to get a new Phono Pre for the Pro-Ject thinking it was the R-N602 but it's not. The GR sounded great through it.

2. matrix-6

Anyone?

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I bet on the cabling inside the GR and did you measured your carts or going straight from spec sheet? I mean Ortofon is quite known to have their specs vary between even the same models.
    If I recal right though, Blue stylus was quiter (in terms of output) than Red and that is connected with the magnets on the cantilever per Ortofon's comment.

4. matrix-6

Thanks for responding. Yes, the numbers are from their specs. I'm curious how the Bronze compares as that's where I plan to end up on that table. Also curious if it's the stylus or the cart. I plan to put a Bronze on a 2M silver cart. I was thinking of eventually picking up a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 which has gain settings I could turn up on front, but will doing so affect the sound adversely in any way?

Soundslave likes this.
  5. matrix-6

Update for anyone seeing this thread in the future. I noticed the tonearm cabling on the Pro-Ject is considerably thinner than what I can see on the GR. I'm guessing that might having something to do with it.

Some pics of the Pro-Ject's cabling for reference here:
    Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon Classic (Gloss Black)

And here:
    "Buzz" from Pro-ject Xpression. Please help

According to What is American Wire Gauge (AWG) and how does it work?

A smaller gauge (larger size) wire can safely conduct more electricity than a larger gauge (smaller size) wire. Decreasing the AWG size of a wire by three will double the cross-sectional area of a wire and double the amount of current it can carry. Changing the AWG size by 10 will change the cross-section by tenfold.​

So maybe that's it?

6. matrix-6

Last reply in case anyone sees this in the future. I "spoke" too soon. I looked at the tonearm wires at the pivot base and the GR's are just as thin. Only the headshell wires on the GR are thicker. The Pro-Ject does not have a separate headshell you can change the wires on.

Also, last reply here as I brought this up on the SL-1200/GAE/G/GR thread: The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

I don't like dupe threads and only asked there as I was curious if the GR was known to have a higher output compared to other turntables.