Ortofon 2M Comparisons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I prefer the Bronze, but at the same time I understood why people say that Blue is the best in terms of overall balance and why some prefer its character. Because of that openness on highs, Bronze seems to be a bit brighter with less bass, but the impact on the bass is the same and more precise than on Blue. Plus again Bronze brings out more details.
    As for FG stylus - I actually had a chance to try out Stylus 40 on the 2M Red as well (it can fit) and the sound in comparison to Blue was significantly better with the same amount of bass and that "wide open" character that you mention. I think, based on the YT comparisons, that 2M Black has the same bass quality as Bronze, but with the "wider" character from Blue, and at the same time Stylus 40 (FG70) have almost the same character as Black only a bit more organic highs, where on Black it seems they have a bit "lush" on top.

matrix-6 likes this.
  2. Soundslave

Yep, there was that effect at first on my system. But probably my ears got accustomed, or the "burn-in" kicked up on the Bronze, but recently listening to, let's say, Metallica - Metallica (Blackened 2015-2016 reissue, CB cut) Bronze really sounded better. Better defined guitars, more detailed cymbals and great vocals.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  3. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's the vocals in the Dire Straits video above that sells me on the Bronze. The Blue sounds great but when I switch to the Bronze, specifically the vocals, I get that WOW reaction. It just stands out. There's more heft and weight to his voice.

MrMarty, SandAndGlass and Soundslave like this.
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I don’t have anything to counter your description at all, I think it reflects my experience as well.

I think what we’re down to is personal preference at this point. I could throw on the Bronze tomorrow and be perfectly happy (I have both).

The tough decision will be if I decide to replace a 2M stylus. I’m actually considering going into their MC line.

MrMarty and Soundslave like this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I run four different Ortofon's. Red/Blue/Black and a FG cut Music Hall Mojo (appears to be a rebadged 540 MkII ).
    IMO:
    Red - A fun cart is gets a lot of undeserved bad press. It's forward presentation seems to turn many off.
    Blue - Sweet/balanced presentation. Works well with many different genres of music. Does seem overpriced to me.
    Mojo - Prob the sweet spot in my collection. Does everything the Black does at a price just above the Bronze.
    Black - This is the one I use for critical spins. Takes what the Mojo does up a few notches.

6. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I've never understood the appeal of the Bronze. To me, the Blue sounds markedly better than the Red-like I'd ratehr listen to digital than the Red all day....and the Black sounds like a more refined version of the Blue...the bronze generally sounds worse to me than the Black OR Blue...does it sound better than the red? Well--the red sounds like distortion and dark--it's like they took a poll of what people who don't listen to vinyl think vinyl is supposed to sound like...meanwhile the Bronze sounds more liek a Blue that's "broken" somehow. To me in comparison after comparison, the Blue and the Black sound similar--as the better and EVEN better version...the Red sounds LIKE those two with a bunch of frequencies rolled off...where the Bronze just sounds..."not right". It's bright...but an ugly kind of bright...I dunno.

I have a Blue. Love it. I'd prefer to have a Black, but honestly...$200 vs $800 for nuance is just too rich for my blood for a fragile consumable like a needle.

But, I listened to the Daft Punk...and the later Dire Straits...I heard nothing that changed my mind about what I'd heard previously.

Cyclone Ranger, Soundslave and trd like this.
  7. Slick Willie

Ha! Sounds like you're still working through all of this.

But if your collection mostly consists of reissues or new releases, the Blue may be the sweet spot for you.

8. matrix-6

Maybe it's all in our heads, literally:

Why Everyone Hears The Same Sounds Differently - KnowledgeNuts

and:

We're All Hearing Differently, and Here's the Proof | Only Human | WNYC Studios

"The analogy Kraus uses is that the world around us is like a great concert — and our brains are a mixing board. How that mixing board translates what we’re hearing can have a profound impact on what we understand about what’s going on around us."

Everyone agrees the room/space we listen in makes a difference and we all agree the equipment (speakers, amps, turntables, pre-amps, carts etc) make a difference. You often hear of synergy between components. If your speakers are bright don't magnify that with a bright sounding amp and cart and so on. Well maybe there's also synergy with the space in our skulls, the shape of our ears and ear canals, and the wiring. :)

When I listen to the first videos I opened this thread with I swear the Red and Black have the same energetic character and the Blue the Bronze have a more reserved character. I attributed that to the volume levels for each in the videos but I no longer think that's the case. When I listen to the Dire Straits video the Blue still sounds reserved to me, but the Bronze sounds more open and bold. So... who knows... I think it's all a combination of personal preference, how we hear things with our unique systems, in our unique spaces, and our unique hearing. There's definitely some overlap and why some agree with some but not others...

MrMarty and IRG like this.
  9. Slick Willie

And also the vid is digital....

Alright4now likes this.
  10. matrix-6

Here's one with the 2M Red and AT 540ML. Listen without watching.

Adam9 likes this.
  11. Soundslave

Just to continue my own impressions.
    Again I mostly listen to metal and rock, with some minor exceptions for soundtracks and a couple other albums, but decided to compare the sound of Blue and Bronze once again.
    First, Primal Scream - "Trainspotting" from Trainspotting OST.
    Blue gave out just enough sound to enjoy the music coming out of speakers, as that stylus/cart usually performs to me. Bronze really shined on that track though. A lot tighter bass, that is needed on electronic music I think, and gave out more details and accents to various sounds that were used for this track, it really gives you a feeling that you're diving into the music.

Second, Lord of the Lost - "Under the Sun" from Thornstar.
    Not what I listen to in terms of genre, but an LP my gf likes. Plus a nice contrast to previous album, featuring a "modern" mastering of heavy music and 45 rpm.
    Here Blue seemed to be a winner during the intro, but that lasted until the part with the piano and just the voice came - Bronze was full of timbre on the voice which actually gave even me shivers. After that, it was noticeable that Bronze also can separate instruments from the mix (similar effect was audible on Samples of A-T95 when going to ML after E) and again more details in the music, so while Bronze had that openness which might not work with heavier and compressed music, it still had grit, character and delivery so to say.

12. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Just installed a Blue. So far really impressed ony Denon DP2500 over previous OM10 and AT3600/vivid line

13. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Should sound even better after about 50 hours of use.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ortofon VMS or even lowly FF15XE superior to LM, OM, or 2M anything. Better sound, outtracks the above too (and that's on Ortofon's own test LP).

15. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Which leads to the question: why not still in production?

16. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My new TT will have the bronze when it arrives later this month. I want a Blue for my Music Hall mff 5 which currently has a Shure M97x. various reasons the Shure is going on standby.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. matrix-6

Report back on how the Bronze compares to the Blue after you've had some time with the Bronze.

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I was concerned the Black was going to be too forward and the Bronze as being more neutral. My "guy" described it thus. New table is a VPI Prime Scout, My end game if I don't ever win the lottery. My primary system Has Cornwall II and I'm concerned about possible sibilance. The current M97x is good as was the prior Exact/RP6. Just messaged him if the bronze is a mistake! Wasn't able to audition and returns aren't an issue.

CBackley likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Possibly because those older models were a tad more compliant than what folks look for today. Availability of materials may have changed. Not re-designing and re-launching cartridge lines every few years also costs sales when every other major cartridge company is doing just that. Performance tradeoffs are often present with changes to a design also.

Madison Mike likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Because they were too good.

Madison Mike likes this.
  21. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

On the first and third videos, the Black is the bomb to me! On that second video, I didn't think they sounded that much different.

22. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Well, my new 2M Blue passed all level 5 tracks on the Shuer ERA III test rcord on my Denon DP2500 @ 1.5G

DrZhivago, Soundslave and matrix-6 like this.
  23. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Currently 17hrs into breaking in my Bronze.
    It sounded really bright at first, however a bit of that brightness has gone (I'm not complaining) and I noticed already on THICK AS A BRICK I'm hearing cymbals that weren't as distinct on my old Shure.
    Funny, because I'm still using an old 70's Tandy Mixer as my Pre Amp.
    I was reading on this forum that a Rega Fono mm would eliminate the extreme 'brightness' however at present, I've no complaints.

Soundslave likes this.
  24. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Bronze over Blue any day. Opened up a whole new soundstage. Not clinical at all, have been listening today to probably 10 albums. Think it also depends on rest of the set up.
    My tube amps already give a bit of warmth and having classic Spendor BC1's i can use a little dryness in my sound. But overall Bronze has more detail and realness than the Blue.

25. matrix-6

I plan to replace my Blue with a Bronze when the time comes. I have a Silver cart though. My Pro-ject 1XPression Carbon Classic came with the Silver pre-mounted and is set up perfectly. I don't want to mess with it. I switched to the Blue and the inner groove distortion went away. Next will be the Bronze. It's my secondary table so I'm not too worried about sticking with the Silver cart. My primary table is a Technics SL-1210GR I swap a Nagaoka MP-200 and KAB Pro/S40 with. The S40 is the best, but not forgiving. It sounds open and clean. The MP-200 sounds warm in comparison, not as crisp, but is more forgiving and if you like that warm character, it sounds very, very good. The Blue sounds excellent, close to the S40 (both being Ortofon), but the S40 is notch up for sure. Curious about the Bronze, so I will eventually get one. And eventually I'd like to try an AT ML to compare to the S40 FG on the Technics. The Pro-jet will be 2M only. Both turntables sound exceptional in my setup.

Soundslave and RemyM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.