Ortofon Concorde cartridge: Best stylus for Hi-Fi ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by serendipitydawg, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I use Nagaoka MP-110 and I am happy with i, wonder what's gonna be the result of comparison

[​IMG]

nosliw likes this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've looked once again today and have yet to find anyone preferring jico over the original OM30. I read two threads at AK one here and one at vinyl engine. Probably worth trying only after you have used a real OM30. And through my reads over the years the 30 is preferred over the 40 which picks up too much. Good luck!

Shak Cohen and Wally Swift like this.
  4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I use the Arkiv to record %90 of my LP's to my computer, then boost highs, mids, and lows, then set it to the highest possible broadcast whatever mghz, ufhz...whatever, it sounds good.

Ortofon Arkiv concorde.

Also, I use Ortofon Nightclub II- which gives great complete sound over the full spectrum. Should I have an issue with too much treble with the Arkiv stylus, I will switch to the Nightclub II to record the LP.
    They both sound great. The Arkiv is very good at mids and high pickup.

both track AMAZINGLY well.
    they are tough.
    sound great.

cheap, no, worth the longevity and sound quality, YES definitely !

5. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Compared those two and Nagaoka beats Ortofon

SpeedMorris likes this.
  7. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Hello Shak, I'm debating between the OM-20 and OM-30 to upgrade from my OM-10. How much better would you say the tracking ability of the 30 is compared to the 20?

8. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Hi there,

I would say the 30 is noticeably better on fine detail, overall clarity and lack of IGD, but the 20 is very good in its own right (and no slouch on the above either) and has a sweeter, more 'hi-fi ' sound that you might actually prefer to the 30.

9. mahanusafa02

Thank you...I'm planning on a setup in which I can swap out an OM-20 (or 30) for my stereo records and an OM D25M for my mono LPs and 45s (I know it's not dedicated mono but the dual Y-cable works well enough for me, and it's got a conical stylus). My OM-10 has a bad time trying to track original copies of Abbey Road and Let It Be (especially "Something," "I Want You," parts of the medley, "Let It Be," and "The Long and Winding Road." Can an OM-2o track those without distorting, is what I'm wondering, or is the 30 more appropriate?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  10. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Most probably, but some of the highs on the 20, will probably be a little "rolled off", whereas on the 30 they should sound crisper.

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Try the 30 stylus. The 40 stylus tracks even better as far as inner groove distortion. It was better than the 2M Bronze I had, and cost less.

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. mahanusafa02

With the 30 being a fine line stylus, and the Debut tonearm having no VTA adjustment, do you foresee any issues there as far as setup/adjustment goes?

13. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

No, I don’t believe so. If you were already using an OM cartridge and you’re just swapping the stylus, the alignment, VTA, etc. should still be correct.

14. mahanusafa02

So, owing to a combination of the (very welcome) advice here and my budget, I went with both an OM20 and a D25M. We'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road--if the 20 can track my problematic stereo LPs, I'll be a happy customer indeed.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Does OM styli series fit to this new Reloop Concorde Black? It looks very similar to Ortofon Concorde Pro S. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Curiosity and Heckto35 like this.
  16. DoF

DoF Less is more...

This Ortofon Concorde MKII Club sounds great with preamp Rega Fono MM MK3 on my system. This combo I recommend :)

[​IMG]

17. DoF

DoF Less is more...

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I see no reason to think so as looks like a 'badged' Concorde for Reloop with same push on styli.

DoF likes this.
  19. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

I also own the Nightclub MK2. The supplied stylus works very well. It's a .5 x 1 mil elliptical. Transparent highs and tracks extremely well. Needs 3 grams tracking though.

20. shufflin'

shufflin' Member

very late to this discussion, wondering what others think of the Ortofon Concorde 10 R Moving Magnet HiFi Cartridge?

it's an ortofon DJ style cart but with an ortofon blue needle fitted

I have SL1210 with AT95EX fitted, and want that DJ look but with great sound (play mostly rare soul / lo fi alternative music)
    lots of my records are rare and expensive to replace so vinyl wear is a worry
    thoughts/recommendations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.