Ortofon Exclusive 2M Black LVB 250 model

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Good to know, I have just ordered a 2M Black LVB 250 stylus for my 2M Black cartridge.

It should arrive today.

I have been using a 2M Black since 2015 and a 2M Bronze before that for 3 years. This cartridge suits my SME 3009 Series II Improved tonearm so well and at my age I like the simplicity of stylus swaps on MM carts.

I can't envisage ever using any other cartridge as long as they continue manufacturing styli.

2. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Lemme know how it sounds. Since i got my Black i rarely use the Bronze.

Soundslave and Gasman1003 like this.
  3. Gasman1003

I will.

Same here, the Bronze is a fine cartridge, but the Black is on a different level entirely.

I have never used the Bronze since upgrading to Black in 2015.

4. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Do 2M Black and LVB 250 share same body? Would styli upgrade be equal to full LVB 250?

Regards

Gasman1003 likes this.
  5. Gasman1003

Yes, as far as I can make out the LVB 250 stylus attached to a 2M Black body, or indeed a 2M Bronze body, should be equivalent to a 2M Black LVB 250 Cartridge.

The Bronze and Black share a body which is different from the body shared by the Red and Blue.

Recommended VTF is up very slightly for the LVB 250 to 1.6 (from 1.5)

I started off with a Bronze and upgraded to a Black stylus at first stylus change. So mine is in fact a 2M Bronze with, soon, Black LVB 250 stylus.

Buying the Bronze first is a cost effective way of doing it.

Ortofon Hi-Fi 2M Black LVB 250 Stylus
    Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 Cartridge

DrZhivago and RemyM like this.
  6. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Did you ever have anything else besides Ortofon?

Gasman1003 likes this.
  7. Gasman1003

Many years ago I had an ADC XLM III.

I used it for decades. When I had my turntable serviced in 2013 the engineer recommended the Bronze for my table/tonearm combination and I have never looked back.

The ADC was a fine cartridge for the money though.

I still have the very 70s packaging for the cartridge, and somewhere I still have the cart itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jusbe and RemyM like this.
  8. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Thanks mate.

I already have 2m black (that I'm tracking at 1,6). Now curious of what should be my next upgrade. Keen to hear your impressions.

cheers

Gasman1003 likes this.
  9. Gasman1003

No worries, I'll get back yo you as soon as I have it bedded in.

Clay B, Soundslave and DrZhivago like this.
  10. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

Just wondering if your SME 3009 Improved is the fixed or detachable headshell version? I have a fixed headshell version here (with the damping trough fitted) and considering using it on a turntable build, would be useful to know if it works with the Ortofon 2m range.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  11. Gasman1003

Mine has the detachable headshell.

I've owned it and the Thorens TD 160 since 1980.

In 2013 the turntable engineer recommended the 2M Bronze for this combination.

I can't see any reason the fixed headshell wouldn't accommodate the 2M series, but hopefully someone much more technically gifted than me will chime in.

I had mine serviced at Doug Brady in Warrington, great guys to deal with. I am sure they could advise over the phone or via email.

Doug Brady HiFi

12. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  13. Gasman1003

:righton:

14. Gasman1003

Well it's arrived, sort of:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They have erroneously sent the cartridge and not just the stylus.

I have decided to keep it rather than the faff of returning it etc.

Contacted the dealer and the cost for whole cartridge over stylus alone is nominal, so I just paid the difference.

Currently I have inserted stylus onto current body as they are the same and I don't trust myself trying to set up a new cartridge.

I also have a brand new spare cartridge body.

Going to play a few demo discs to bed it in, starting with Nic Jones, "Penguin Eggs". Jones is one of the finest acoustic guitarists of all time and the cartridge shows him at his complex best. Already seems an even better soundstage than the 2M Black, of course that could be all psychological, but it sounds wonderful. I will listen to more of my "demo Discs" over the next week or so and report back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jusbe, Soundslave and RemyM like this.
  15. Gasman1003

Some early thoughts about the 2M Black LVB 250 from a couple of days listening.

I have listened to several albums I know very well and which I consider demo discs on my system.

This new stylus is definitely a step up from the 2M Black.

I find it difficult to adequately describe such things but the sound stage is improved, separation of instruments is better and I have heard things I have not heard before in records I know very well.

One major things that struck me is the clarity and "snap" especially of drums, indeed all percussion - it's addictive.

I just want to listen and listen all day long.

As I say the 2M Black is wonderful but this is better, as it should be for the price increase, but I have no regrets, I won't be going back to the Black.

If you are tempted and your budget allows, just do it, in fact sell kidney .......

GyroSE, Soundslave and RemyM like this.
  16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Nice review, how many hours did your old stylus have? I'm just wondering if much of the "big" difference was due to having a fresh new vs worn stylus.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  17. Gasman1003

It's possible, the old one had close on 1000 hours, but I have used 2M Black exclusively for 6 years and am pretty accustomed to its sound.

I don't recall it ever sounding this good, but, of course, it may all be in my head.
    Whatever I know I won't be going back to the standard 2M Black any time soon.

18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Thats great. Plus, you have a second cartridge if you want to try to experiment with the bronze stylus or obtain a second TT.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  19. Gasman1003

Yep, I still have the Bronze stylus around here somewhere, just in case.

20. Jerry Jones

Jerry Jones Active Member

What an experience with this cartridge! I have used a bronze for 2 years and made the “upgrade” to the black LVB. Man, I excitedly set it up, got my demo albums and whoa…deflated. I could barely stand to listen to it, just very harsh. I gave it about 20 hours of use and suddenly the instruments came alive, sounds I hadn’t heard with my bronze. But still vocals were a problem, hard to describe but tenor/soprano voices just irritated me. I only kept playing with it because I was impressed with what I heard from instruments. Then this past week after 30+ hours I literally heard the vocals smooth out and I finally heard what people have been saying about this cartridge!
    It’s brought my system to a whole new level

Taiyedbrodel and Gasman1003 like this.
  21. Gasman1003

:righton:

Pleased it is now meeting your expectations, wonderful isn’t it?

Jerry Jones likes this.
  22. Love my time spent with the 2M Black and thinking about the LVB stylus upgrade. It's a great sounding cartridge as-is. I jumped the Audio-Technica ship when my AT-150MLX no longer had a direct replacement for the boron cantilever/micro line; offering a Shibata/aluminum pipe instead so I started looking around. Best thing I ever did as the Black ran circles around my hallowed AT-150. The AT is prettier to look at, I'll grant you, but the 2M Black is a keeper.

GyroSE and Gasman1003 like this.
  23. Gasman1003

Do it!

I love the Black too and used it exclusively for 6 years.
    In September last year I went to the LVB 250 & am completely staggered by the improvement over an already great cartridge.

In my opinion definitely worth the increase in cost.

DangerousKitchen and GyroSE like this.
  24. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Oh gosh, I am glad to read this ..............I have been using the Bronze on my Technics 1200GR for about 2 years now and loved it but now it has around 870 hours on the cart, so decided to get the LVB. I brought the stylus only as it is my first experience with the black.
    I only have 11 hours on it - and I have to say I have been a little disappointed so far.......................the vocals are not was forward as I am used to - but the bass it more defined ...............and I notice I have to turn the volume up a little more for some strange reason ......................but your post has helped me to realise that I am being picky and have to be PATIENT and wait for the bedding in ...................whew.................hopefully I can report back with a postive update soon.

25. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Give it at least 30 hours, maybe even 50. I liked it right out of the box, but it just kept improving.

I don't remember any volume difference between my Bronze and my LVB. I wouldn't expect a stylus transfer on the same body to cause that.

Gasman1003 and April Snow like this.