Ortofon moving coil question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrettyD, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member Thread Starter

My current Ortofon MC-30 Super has stopped working and I'm looking to replace it. The best option seems to be an Ortofon MC-30 Supreme which is apparently an updated version of the old MC-30 Super. Compliance is the same according to the specs...but the output on the Supreme is higher.

Its 0.5 mV rather than the 0.2mV I have currently. I use an Ortofon T20 transformer into the MM input of my Technics SU-V6 integrated amp.

Will the increased output cuase any problems? Will the volume from the cartridge be 2.5 times higher than it is currently? (hope this isn't a silly question)

Thanks in advance...

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

.5Mv? No, it shouldn't from my experience. You're still going to use a hop for MC carts, but you'll find the extra energy will give your volume-twisting wrist a break.

It's the 2.0's and higher that start to get close to MC amp stage. You're not even close, so the hop you're using is fine.

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I think Sckott is right here, but then I have to think about that transformer's reaction to a cartridge for which it might not have been intended. My guess is that if the two versions of the MC-30 have similar impedance measurements then you're in like Flint, but if the newer version's impedance differs greatly from your present one, the transformer might provide a darker or lighter sound depending on whether or not the new cartridge's impedance is lower or higher than the original. If the impedance measurement is within 20 ohms either way of what you now have, it should work like a charm.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Good concideration on the impedence......!

5. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member Thread Starter

From having a quick look on the net the impedance for the Supreme is >20 ohms and >10 ohms for the Super.
    (tho the super data is for the MC-30 Super Mk2 and mine is just an MC-30 Super)

Hopefully it'll be ok - I'd hate to get a combo I didn't like the sound of...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.