Ortofon Stylus Help Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy T.

Troy T. Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not too long ago I purchased a vintage Dual CS721 direct drive turntable. It came with an Ortofon cartridge and an OM5E stylus. I was told that I could upgrade it to an OM20 (but no more than that or would be overkill for the devise) and that it would be much better sound. Now, I just started getting back into vinyl a little while ago, so please excuse my ignorance in this area. My questions are as follows:

Can I simply change the stylus and not have to do anything else? I know it comes off by just pulling it towards me. Or does the replacement have to be realigned? I wouldn't know how to do that. Should I go for the OM20 or is there another direct replacement that you would suggest? Looks like the OM20 is about $200.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I do not think it would need realignment.
    You may need to adjust vtf.
    This is to find the playing weight that results in best sound quality.
    Also to ensure no mistracking occurs.
    However, checking alignment and basic settings is alwaya a good thing.

Troy T. and snorker like this.
  3. Troy T.

Thanks. What is vtf?

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’d go OM30 as it is very well loved.

Troy T. likes this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Vertical Tracking Force.....how much weight you are running, 1 gram, etc.

Troy T. likes this.
  6. Troy T.

Thanks

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If the cantilevers are even slightly different in length, you will need to realign. If not, you don't. It's always good to double check VTF when installing a new stylus even if you are not replacing the whole cartridge. How much you want to move up the OM line probably comes down to how much you want to spend, things like record cleanliness and condition, etc. Your call.

Troy T. likes this.
  8. Troy T.

That's helpful. Thank you!

My records are pretty clean for the most part.

9. Troy T.

Thanks. I was told that anything over a 20 would be overkill for my turntable. Like it wouldn't justify? The OM30 would be more $ than my turnatable :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I gave a member here my 200 hour old OM30 for his entry level Project (which had a OM5) and he absolutely loved it. Research the 30 as it is the sweet spot in the line up. I wouldn’t waste coin on anything below that.

Troy T. likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What is the rest of your gear?

12. Troy T.

Sounds good. Will do. Thanks!

13. Troy T.

Nothing that special. A Sony STRDH190 receiver and 80's DBX speakers (satellite/subwoofer system). I have the 15" subwoofer instead of the smaller subwoofer pictured far below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

When I bought my OM30 - I bought a new table and cart - but my system was a simple Onkyo AVR with Cambridge Soundworks sub/sat - it sounded fantastic - it was a huge upgrade over my older table. I completely appreciated the OM30 - I didn't need a multiple 1K system to reveal the awesomeness of the OM30.

I've since of course upgraded everything as that was like 10 years ago - so in your case - if you plan to make future step by step upgrades the OM 30 is a great cart to build around. If this means your family will not eat for a week - or you have to work two jobs - then I'd like at an OM 20 or probably an OM10.

Troy T. likes this.
  15. Troy T.

Thanks. I think I'll try the OM20 first, but still may consider the OM30. I eventually would like to upgrade the speakers. I kind of like the receiver because it's powerful enough, sounds descent, and it has bluetooth which is useful to me. I just don't know how much things would improve with another receiver.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Upgrading speakers will yield the most noticeable improvement, generally. Now, I have never heard your current speakers and don't know anything about them, so that's your call. Before buying new speakers, try to go listen to some different brands and models and get a feel for what you like and don't like. If that isn't possible, you'll have to play the buy/return/buy/return game. Make sure whatever you consider is appropriate for amount of power your receiver/amp has. If your budget is big enough you could consider upgrading the receiver/integrated amp as well.

I would probably consider those upgrades closely and also look into a real record cleaning system (e.g. RCM or Spin Clean bare minimum) if you don't already have one before spending the money on an OM30 or OM40 stylus.

Troy T. likes this.
  17. Troy T.

That's very helpful, thanks. I actually have some vintage (70's?) speakers stored away at another location. They are big and kind of heavy. I think they are Klipsch, but I can't remember. I may pull those out and try them first to compare.

I know....the Spin Clean seems like the way to go. Right now, I just use the Audio Technica brush/solution and AudioQuest Anti-Static Record Brush - Black with Gold Contacts. I put the record on the sleeve and clean the records, so I can be a little more firmer, rather than doing it on the turntable.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Brushes only remove the barest amount of surface dust. If you have old records or used records, you owe it to yourself to deep clean those records if you can. Some new records are really dirty too depending on the factory environment where they were pressed.

Even my DJ friend (with 7,000+ records) swears by the Spin Clean, though I'll never convince him to get an RCM. Even the Spin Clean is way better than brushing and spray and wipe. I used one before getting my RCM. RCMs need not be expensive either. You can get a manual one for less than $200 and there are a few different brands/models available.

Re: your other speakers, by all means, try them if you have them. Just be aware that speakers that old may need some TLC/tune up work. When you get them out of storage you can start another thread here or some place like AudioKarma for further advice.

Troy T. likes this.
  19. Troy T.

I'll definitely get a Spin Clean soon. Probably a Zerostat Anti-Static Gun too. My records seem pretty good so far, some better than others.

I am not familiar with RCM's. Not even sure what it is lol. I'll have to look that up.

Yeah, I will inspect the speakers first. You're probably right about that. However, I do have them sealed up in boxes. Will do! Thanks again! :)

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

RCM = Record Cleaning Machine. Examples of manual units are the Record Doctor, the KAB-EV-1, the Vinyl Bug, and the Squeaky Clean MkIII. I use the latter.

I have a Zerostat, and while I do find it useful it would be one of the last accessories I'd recommend unless you live in a very dry, static prone environment. It does work but will only remove the static charge from records, not noise from damage or a bad pressing. People often confuse the two problems.

Troy T. likes this.
  21. Troy T.

Great info! I really appreciate it very much! :)

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Playing weight.
    In your case 1.25 to 1.75g

Troy T. likes this.
  23. Troy T.

Do you or anybody have any experience with Gruv Glide Record Cleaner? Thanks

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Gruv Glide, yes I have it - it was gifted to me by a friend. It is more like an anti-static treatment for AFTER records have been deep cleaned already. It is NOT a substitute for an RCM or Spin Clean.

Troy T. likes this.
  25. Troy T.

Here's a pic of my Dual turntable

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.