Oscar Peterson: Plays (5CD) & The Songbooks (5CDs), Verve 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deus62, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deus62

deus62 Mega everything. Thread Starter

I've always been a huge fan of the various Oscar Peterson Trio recordings. I didn't notice until today, that Verve had reissued both sets of the Songbooks recordings in, apparently, remastered new and bare-bones boxed sets in late 2017 (December?).

My question: I've always had huge problems with Verve remasters these many past years. They were always mediocre at best and only the Dennis Drake remastered CDs that I unfortunately sold many years ago were worth anything sonically (at least I made digital copies before I sold them).

The few reviews I found online re these new sets state they were remastered and sound good. I doubt that, so I was wondering if anyone here has any or both of these new releases and can say something about the sound (the material I know inside out).

The problem I had with many of the Verve remasters these past many years was the lack of bass, the flat and lifeless as well as treble-and mids- boosted sound that sucked any energy and fun out of these recordings.

I just want to know if these reissues are any better.
    Probably not.

Links (amazon.co.uk):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Song-Books...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EP5KRT66B1SK31AVMF2A

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plays-Osca...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAGR15FAP73N9BRSK3V7

2. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Bump, in case anyone's purchased one or both of these sets in the past several months. I've peeped several Peterson threads and not seen any mention of the new Verve sets' sound.

Especially curious if anyone's compared the earlier records (early 1950s) with two other available options, the Peterson "Norman Granz Legacy" 10cd from Avid, and the bright red set from United Archives (maybe no longer available?).
    The Avid remastering is credited to one Dave Bennett. ("This technical reconstruction is uniquely identifiable and is copyright....Avid remastering is designed for a comfortable and enjoyable listening experience...")

I might be confused about what's included in these different sets. The UA has 6 discs and over 7.5 hours of music; the Avid set is 10 discs with almost 13 hours of music (additional sessions and a couple discs of JATF recordings).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.