Oscar Picks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dcooper, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcooper

dcooper New Member Thread Starter

Any thoughts out there on the Oscars? I just saw Mystic River last night and, while I liked it very much, I didn't think it deserved quite as much praise as it received. So...here is my wish list for the top honors:

Best Picture: Lost in Translation
    Best Actor: Bill Murray
    Best Actress: Charlize Theron
    Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins/Alec Baldwin (I wimped out and went for the tie)
    Supporting Actress: Marcia Gay Harden

Also, let me give a special "shout out" the the Triplets of Belleville. This amazing movie MUST win best animated feature or there is no God.

I'm expecting LOTR to win Best Picture and probably Sean Penn for best Actor, but I much preferred Lost in Translation and hope it's recognized at least once tonight for something!

So what's on everyone else's wish list tonight?

Dan Cooper

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

If I was a voting member of the academy, my ballot would read:

Best Picture: Lord of the Rings
    Best Actor: Johnny Depp
    Best Actress: Charlize Theron
    Supporting Actress: Shohreh Aghdashloo
    Supporting Actor: Ken Watanabe
    Animated Feature: Finding Nemo
    Song: Into the West

I was surprised that X-Men 2 did not get a nomination for visual effects, I thought they were stunning! ;) And the two Matrix movies were completely ignored--been there, done that, I guess.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Oscar favorites?

I like Oscar Levant the best. Followed by Oscar Meyer, Oscar Schindler and Oscar Homolka.

Sorry, back to the real thread topic.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Oscar Madison doesn't make your top 4 Oscars?

"Oscar, Oscar, Oscar..."

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

LORD OF THE RINGS deserves best picture, if there's any justice. I don't know how anyone can deny the artistic and logistical accomplishments of the series.

Re best actor: I enjoyed PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, but Depp was in essence a supporting character and his performance was more caricature than acting. Please Lord, as much as I like Depp, let someone else win this one.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

If all 3 LOTR films are taken into account then "Return Of The King" deserves the Oscar. It certainly made enough money and has high caliber acting and photography.

I would love to see Bill Murray win tonight, I think he is a very under-rated actor.

The rest are up for grabs but Renee Zelwegger was pretty darn fun and cute in "Cold Mountain" so I wouldn't mind her winning.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i will be awfully surprised if 4 of the top 5 don't turn out like this:

best picture - lord of the rings (i'm not a fan, but it will win for the trilogy) (personally i liked "lost in translation")
    best actress - charlize theron (deservedly, but evan rachel wood should have been nominated)
    best supporting actress - renee zellweger ( i liked holly hunter's performance better, renee was elly may clampett)
    best supporting actor - tim robbins

the only suspense is between depp, penn, and murray. i love murray, overlooked for far too long. but so have the other two been.

peter jackson will win best director, again for three movies, not one.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Or that famous Frenchie, Oscar le Grouch?

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

And for you sports fans out there, Oscar de la Hoya and Oscar Gamble.

rjp was on the money with his supporting actor and actress picks. Finding Nemo won for best animated feature, no big shock there (although I probably would've given it to The Triplets of Belleville).

So far I've only seen one oblique reference to the 5-second delay, when Robin Williams came out as a presenter and "flashed" a shirted breast.

Ah, Alison Krauss. :love:

10. What instrument was Sting just playing?

Best Film - LOTR - ROTK
    Best Actor - I'd like to see Bill Murray win, but it may go to Sean Penn.
    Best Actress - Charlize Theron - MONSTER
    Original Screenplay - Lost In Translation
    Adapted Screenplay - LOTR - ROTK
    Foreign Film - I have no idea, however I would like to see Barbarian Invasions win as it is Canadian.

11. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

A hurdy-gurdy

12. Thanks.

Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions) just won the Foreign Language Film category, thanking Lord Of The Rings for not being eligable in this category. :laugh: :thumbsup: Way to go Canada!

Congrats to Annie Lennox. Her performance this evening was lovely. :thumbsup:

13. How many other films of past have had a clean sweep at the Oscars?

Lord Of The Rings - Return Of The Kings rules! Amazing! 11 of 11! :thumbsup:

However, were there any actors in this movie? :confused:

14. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

You're right, must of just acted itself. Sean Astin should have been nominated, I was disappointed when he wasn't.

And as far as actors go, my wife was bitterly disappointed that after looking forward to this Oscars all week, neither Orlando Bloom or Viggo Mortensen attended. The Hobbits just don't do it for her, but the Elf and the King do...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...lest we forget Oscar Madison:)

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Too late, Jimbo mentioned him already.

Another one, appropriate enough for a music forum: Oscar Peterson.

And for those of a literary bent: Oscar Wilde.

(Dammit, Steve, see what you've wrought? :D)

17. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

For those of us who try to look our best Oscar de la Renta :edthumbs:

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

Damn! I guessed 21 out of 24 correctly on our annual Oscar pool and still lost - to the same guy who beat me last year. :( ;)

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Steve Hoffman doing a thread crap? :eek:

Very predictable awards ceremony this year. Everyone predicted to win did. Amazed that "Lord of the Rings" won 11 awards. Billy Crystal did a great job as usual as host. I love the films they put him into every time he hosts.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.