Oscars 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dhreview16, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There are plenty of BP noms over the decades that aren't "Best Picture material"...

PH416156 likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and they never win.

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

4. Oatsdad

Movies can be popular and be good as well. They're not mutually exclusive concepts...

PH416156 and Mazzy like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Depends on how you define "Best Picture quality". I can find plenty of BP winners I think were crap...

6. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Yeah, BP nominees this past decade included Black Panther, American Sniper, Mad Max:Fury Road, La La Land, A Star Is Born, Les Miserables, and Inception. All three LotR movies were nominated, with RotK winning loads of statues. And let's not forget that one about the boat and the iceberg.

7. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

They could just post the list of winners somewhere and eliminate the ceremony entirely, if that's all some people care about.

showtaper likes this.
  8. audiomixer

List, please?

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Apparently the irony of evoking free speech in response to someone else's opposing view and then telling that person he doesn't have a right to express an opinion has to be pointed out to you.

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Me too. Winners, even (Crash, Shape of Water)

unclefred likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the Emmys tanked this year too....and the CMA's! (no fiery speeches there) .maybe its not the speeches or films or any of it. its 3 hours and some people like their entertainment in little bits and its enough already they just want to go to bed

Mazzy likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

[​IMG]

13. Yeah most people just want to watch shorts clips of highlights after the fact.

I no longer have HBO but every week I watch clips of Bill Maher. I no longer watch SNL but every week I watch the best sketch clips. All in YouTube

live ratings today only matter for advertising revenue,some of with is made up later via YouTube views.

14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Good points. It has to factor in that there are just so many award shows out there , it's fatigue. I don't care about or watch any of them only Oscars, but if you do you may just be worn firm by time they are on.
    Think too besides what films are up for awards there just aren't the big movie stars that public was interested in years ago when so many watched the show.
    It's funny the same things come up yearly and they don't change anything but not having a host .

15. the pope ondine

they increased the number of best film noms just so they could include some popcorn films in there for the masses. I don't know if it helped

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

But, when your opinion is that actor’s shouldn’t be allowed to freely express themselves, that’s hypocrisy.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Are you really a) asking me to cite every BP winner I don't think deserved it over 92 years and/or b) claiming each and every one was great? :wtf:

showtaper likes this.
  18. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

It happens, overall I'd say they have gotten it right. Some are well liked for their time then later you go why was this best pic?!

19. audiomixer

No. But a couple would be nice...

20. Oatsdad

Notable misfires off the top of my head, IMO:

-Crash
    -Million Dollar Baby
    -Rain Man
    -Oliver!
    -Gigi

Those are just movies I view as bad - not even getting into those I think are decent but not Oscar-worthy. That's a very long list!

showtaper likes this.
  21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Ok I just watched Honey Boy, and in my opinion along with Dafoe and Phoenix, Shia LaBeouf gave the best performance last year.

22. audiomixer

I’d love to see your “good “ list.

23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

You're spring to me, all things to me... :love::love::love:

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

You asked, I answered.

showtaper likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The problem with awarding "Best Picture", is there are too many in the marketplace who are inclined to blame The Academy's inability to agree with them. Set yourselves up as an "authority" on anything, and the very act of contrasting with public sentiment, immediately clouds the very authority you propose to represent. Arrive at a quality assessment, you're elitist. Arrive at a popularity assessment, you pander. Arrive at a happy medium, risk backlash from those who would have been happier with a different outcome. Choose out of box office receipts, "you're failing your mission". No matter what you do, you undermine your own reputation, and now you're vulnerable because everybody's second-guessing the reasons for your decisions.

You would think, selection relegated to the people who work in the industry itself, should be above reproach.

GMfan87' and davenav like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.