Oscars In Memoriam 2023 Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Mar 13, 2023.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Didn’t really love the fade-in fade out effects but all Hollywood greats up there on that screen.

MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  3. Odd that Raquel Welch was included but Stella Stevens wasn’t. They died just a couple of days apart last month.

4. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm a big Anne Heche fan and missed seeing her name. Maybe because of the nature in which she passed away, where other people were in danger of her speeding. Or it was a simple oversight.

5. That’s a sizable omission, for sure. Did I just miss seeing Paul Sorvino on there or was he also not included?

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I don't remember Paul Sorvino being shown.

longdist01, MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yeah Paul Sorvino should have been included, faux pas there.

MoonPool, formu_la, freddog and 5 others like this.
  9. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

I don't really get how these kinds of mistakes are made.

MoonPool, cleandan, thnkgreen and 4 others like this.
  10. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I only knew six of the people who died, but thought the Lenny Kravitz performance was awesome. The Oscar's should hire him back.

11. I'm not sure they're the result of mistakes or (more likely, imo) arbitrary decisions, due in part to the restrictive time allotment for the In Memoriam portion of the show. Also, in light of the Academy's ongoing efforts at improving inclusivity, there's possibly a touch of editorial selectivity taken in order to build a more diversely represented roll call to air in the brief time allowed. AMPAS does refer viewers to their website for what they deem is a complete listing. Despite the Academy's online "catch-all" In Memoriam, many fans and surviving family members don't take such on-air omissions lightly.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  12. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

A few of the omissions, like Tom Sizemore etc might have been because they died too close to the award ceremony, I remember some very notable omission from year or two ago when legendary actor died maybe two weeks before the ceremony, and they didn't have time to change the video. Not including Paul Sorvino and some others is just ridiculous.

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I can understand possibly an actor/actress from early days of Hollywood not be very well known...some of these stars are well known in the last 20 years or less and in some great films...sad to see them not recognized on Oscar night...

Paul Sorvino back in 1995, when Mira accepted her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 'Mighty Aphrodite'
    [​IMG]

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they are intentional IMHO...

cleandan, NekoM, ArpMoog and 3 others like this.
  15. Michael

16. Michael

do not watch the Oscars but this was OK...thanks.

MikaelaArsenault and FredV like this.
  17. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

The Jimmy Kimmel joke regarding Robert Blake may have been a bit too soon.

freddog and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Skipped them myself. The same way I skipped through "Everything, Everywhere All at Once." Since when does Best Picture include Lousy Direction?

19. Michael

haven't seen or have any interest...

20. Michael

you think?

longdist01 and Frank Discussion like this.
  21. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Every year they forget someone. As is tradition.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Last group of winners

Everything, Everywhere at Once - Stupid (the minute they break out the martial arts, I feel my IQ drop)
    Nomadland (2020) - Boring
    Parasite (2019) - Bad
    Green Book - Cheesy
    The Shape of Water - Horrible
    Moonlight - Okay

Luckily the Oscars roll on toward their 100th year and these winners, like most, will be forgotten... except for the truly great films which find their own niche among film fans.

How many threads are passionately devoted here to discussing Nomadland, Moonlight and Green Book and Parasite, whereas we can't stop talking about The Godfather?

It's called memorable characters, performances, intelligent, stylish direction and rich storylines.

What happened to "one of the greatest movies about filmmaking ever made"? aka "The Fablemans?" Truth will out.

How many lists here on "Your Top 10 Sci Fi films" name "The Shape of Water?" B&W films from the 60s with zero budgets fare better.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  23. They forget some people. Shouldn’t be that difficult though. Just go back and look through the obits online.

24. While I wouldn’t call “The Shape of Water” the pinnacle of great cinema, I think horrible is a bit of an over reaction.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The doubling up and fading one side then the other was a horrible idea. Also, cutting away for the wide shot was very distracting.

DigMyGroove and MikaelaArsenault like this.