DCC Archive OT: tube advice sought

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by petzi, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petzi

petzi Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found a supply of ECC81 tubes "Made in England" and they were labeled "London". Has anybody heard of that brand ? I know mostly German tubes...

Michael

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That may be a Mullard, but might be Philips OEM'd to an equipment manufacturer..if it has a "tk" number on it. Take a close look at the tube. Like electronics of today, what you buy is not what's inside.

A lot of tubes were pulled and re-labeled in history. Trying to examine tubes is like archeology. In my experience, pulled, relabeled tubes I've had luck with more than penny-any OEM tubes. Like the Philips that many are getting in kits, people tend to like them, but they tend to be a bit microphonic.

Welcome to tube rolling, buddy. buy lots of tubes, and stick to what you like. Keep 2-3 that are okay, eBay or give away the rest.

If you're REALLY curious, go to audioasylum.com under tubes and squak for Uncle Ned to give ya details. He is Dr. Badass with tubes. Just examine that bad boy for OEM numbers in chalk and etched into the glass, and make sure you tell him that stuff, if you're that curious. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.