Other than film D.V.D.s what D.V.D.s do you watch/are you watching/did you last watch?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HorseyAnn, Sep 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist Thread Starter

I created this thread as I noticed there are 2 threads about what film D.V.D. we last watched or were watching but none discussing other D.V.D.s like music D.V.D.s, music documentary D.V.D.s, other documentary D.V.D.s & old T.V. show D.V.D.s.

The last non-film D.V.D.s I watched are:-

1. Ann Williamson's Scotland
    2. Andy Stewart's Scotland
    3. The Alexander Brothers Scotland
    4. Reflections of Scotland
    5. The Great Scottish Sing-along
    6. 8 days a week
    7. A history of Ancient Britain by Neil Oliver

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

His Dark Materials Season 1...so far a good adaptation, but more intense than the previous "Golden Compass" film...my young daughter had to bail out before the last few episodes. Great cast and excellent acting.

3. HorseyAnn

I've just watch Johnny Cash/The Man in Black-The early years in concert.

PhantomStranger and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Elbow joining the BBC Orchestra to perform their Seldom-Seen Kid album
    Above & Beyond's first Acoustic concert, with chamber orchestra/ensemble, at Porchester Hall
    Yello's Virtual Concert
    Snarky Puppy's We Like It Here
    Some bad projections on a wall of some of my wife's family home movies...which really needs a decent telecine job, and a bit more cleanup!

LivingForever and HorseyAnn like this.
  5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Rewind This! a doc about VHS, that I watched last night on DVD

[​IMG]

Nirvana! Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!

[​IMG]

HorseyAnn likes this.
  6. HorseyAnn

I remember watching family films. They're not always well-shot but remind us of brilliant events in our past. I remember having a go with the camcorder when I was in Middle School & High School especially when I took Media Studies.

7. HorseyAnn

That sounds interesting.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I had a good telecine job done on my own family's films on VHS a couple decades back. Really impressed with the results, video levels, tweaking the color balance, etc. Wish we had done this for my wife's stash.

9. HorseyAnn

That's great. I'm glad you're happy with the results you got.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I enjoyed it. It’s also streaming on Amazon.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  11. HorseyAnn

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I watch old TV series on DVD, one episode an evening if I am lucky.

Since I completed Mission: Impossible Season 3, I've gone back to a couple of more recent British shows...

Bergerac and Death In Paradise. I like things that aren't too much of a rollercoaster. The Rockford Files complete 6-season boxset is another that I'm (slowly) working through.

I've liked both Outlander and Fringe, of newer shows, but find them a bit exhausting and not always what I am in the mood for. So my progress with those is rather slow.

EG.

bmasters9 and HorseyAnn like this.
  13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I think this may be a bit repetitive, b/c members post on threads re: music documentaries & tv: what did you last watch? They're not differentiated by what means you're viewing. Maybe you're unaware of them. Link below:
    I don't have time at the moment to do thread searches for music documentaries you're watching, or last one viewed, but I know they exist. Thread search is located top right corner of page. I.T. functionality is particular. If you don't find something using one set of words, change 'em up a little, or use less words. Chances are a thread already exists.:tiphat: Maybe you're looking to save yourself a step, in the event whatever members are posting that you may be interested in, are not available on DVD format(?) :confused::shrug: In any event, have fun. There's still loads of content available on DVD - however, I've noticed, depending on the show, it may get pretty pricey or only be available used.
    The last TV shows(s) you watched...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  14. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

We raced through all seasons of 24 this year. One or two episodes a night, watched over a TV dinner.

15. HorseyAnn

I watch old T.V. series on D.V.D. too. I've got "A history of ancient Britain", "A history of Scotland", "Benidorm", "Coast", "Fawlty Towers", "Last of the Summer Wine", "Open all Hours", "Porridge" & "Vikings" as well as a couple of David Attenborough box sets. (The history box sets I've got are all by Neil Oliver who I love.)

I've also got T.V. adaptations of books on D.V.D. like Pride & Prejudice, etc.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have Disney's Silly Symphonies Vol 2 boxed set, just watched disc 2 about an hour ago.:)

17. HorseyAnn

I haven't seen them & I searched. Also there are music D.V.D.s that aren't documentaries or musical films so they wouldn't fit into any of these categories.

For the T.V. thread you mentioned, the T.V. shows watched on D.V.D. aren't always the last T.V. show I watched.

Thank you very much for the information on the search function but I've seen it & have been using it. Sometimes it works brilliantly. Sometimes it's not too good.

18. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Yeah, no, the search function doesn't always work w/1st search; that's why I'd recommended terming the search differently/using other words, or less words.

You're watching book adaptations on DVDs? Not listening on CDs? Did not know that was an option. Only reason I'm asking is b/c I see you listed Pride & Prejudice & are in the U.K. There are BBC Radio 4 Full Cast Dramatisations on CD, at least of Vanity Fair & I recollect there are other Jane Austen's as well. They're very good. I enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere & 1 or 2 others, as well.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  19. HorseyAnn

I read the books & watch the D.V.D.s. I normally watch the D.V.D. when my eyes are playing me up or when I've just read the book & want to watch the D.V.D. to hear the music played at the balls. (I am in the U.K.) I've never listened to an audiobook though I've thought about it especially when my eyes play me up. Thank you very much for the recommendations.

I've got the Jane Austen T.V. adaptations on D.V.D. & some Charles Dickens ones as well as Cranford.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  20. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

Jazz, the Ken Burns PBS series. I also have his series on The US Civil War to watch next.

I also have the Inspector Morse box set to dip into occasionally.

Eric_Generic and HorseyAnn like this.
  21. HorseyAnn

That sounds interesting. Enjoy!

caracallac likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Last year for some reason I rediscovered a love for old BBC Comedy series from my childhood like Allo Allo and The Two Ronnies. I was really enjoying them, but the COVID thing kind of changed my mood and mindset. I need to get back to finishing those, I was about 5 series into Allo Allo...

EG.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  23. HorseyAnn

I love The Two Ronnies. I don't mind Allo Allo but it's not 1 of my favourite comedies. I like The Good Life too & I've got it. I hope you get back into watching your comedies because they're good & it's good to have a laugh. I don't know about you but for me life wouldn't be worth living without music & comedy.

caracallac and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, I have always loved comedy. I grew up loving The Good Life too, and I was about to order that boxset when things changed in March. I also watch some of the things on TV, Cats Does Countdown, the Jon Richardson stuff he does.

Lately I just seem to enjoy the detective shows....although Death In Paradise is very funny at times. That kind of takes care of my comedy needs at the moment.

EG.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Aimee Mann Live At St. Ann's Warehouse
    Love-Forever Changes Concert

HorseyAnn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.