Our Little Underground: The Jesus and Mary Chain Song by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roman Potato Chip, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Deep One Perfect Morning

Yeah, Lee Hazelwood. Also Leonard Cohen popped into my head for some reason. Anyway, good song. 4/5

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never picked up on the Lee Hazelwood vibe on Deep One Perfect Morning, I'd never even heard of him until a long time after I got Darklands, but it's definitely there. A really cool sound and song.

3. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Deep one perfect morning : 4/5
    Excellent song with the right mood and influences

4. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Deep One Perfect Morning

In my opinion the best song of the album.

5/5

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That’s funny because Hazelwood would be directly referenced in the advertising campaign for “Stoned & Dethroned” a few years later. Something like “Lee Hazlewood eat your heart out” which - even back then - I found unnecessary and a bit weird. But, yeah, they probably were sowing seeds for that chapter in “Deep One Perfect Morning” already. Good observation!

6. Nod2

Nod2 Forum Resident

It's always a problem to contribute to threads about albums you worked on without sounding like an ****- but for what it's worth, I had the great pleasure of working on this album a long time ago. They'd booked at week at Livingston studios, we started on the 12th of Jan 1987 in studio 2. The idea was to do sort of "demos" for the album. Anyhoo we ended up doing "Deep one perfect Morning" which ended up on the album, and various versions of "Darklands". There were only Jim and William present and they were both diamond geezers. They were experimenting with the songs, we had "Darklands" on tape in about three different keys, not easy on an analogue 24trk! I think my major contribution to the whole enterprise was showing William how to programme the drum machine using the snare and a tom to trigger two different snare samples to allow the fills to sound more natural (we did a lot of drum sampling that week, then triggered out of an AMS delay). My assistant engineer (Jon Mallison) took some photos of the sessions, but this being 1987 they were analogue and he had to send them off to be processed and they got lost in the post! I remember that I felt terrible all week with a raging sore throat caused by the band I was working with the week before all smoking in the control room despite the air-con packing up! (Slab!- they called the album "Music from the iron Lung"! Slab! - Music From The Iron Lung ) Phew, Rock and Roll!

7. Neonbeam

Thanks for sharing! Is that Tony Harris?

hutlock and Roman Potato Chip like this.
  8. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey! Thanks for contributing to the thread. I remember you from the R.E.M. thread. You were an engineer on Fables of the Reconstruction, and if I remember correctly, that's your acoustic guitar on "Driver 8" is it not?

Please stick around! I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone when I say we'd love to hear any additional information you have about the recording of this album or the band in general. It's very cool to hear about you helping with the drum machine, as I've always thought it sounds very natural on the whole album.

9. Nod2

Nod2 Forum Resident

Yes!

10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Not my observation. Just agreeing with the consensus. :)

hutlock likes this.
  11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Ah, that's great.

Whenever I used my own home drum machine, I clued in to how to make it sound more "natural" was by only having up to two things being "hit" at any point in the drum track. Now I think about it, I'm wondering if that was what I got from listening to "Darklands" back in the day. I gather it was a little more complicated than that, but.

hutlock, Neonbeam and John Porcellino like this.
  12. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Deep One Perfect Morning - 5/5

Perfection. I had this record on cassette originally, and my memories of it are of driving in my car at night, dark country roads, with the tape playing... quiet, still, humid (but cool) summer nights, on the way to or from spending time with my girlfriend.

I generally dislike drum machine beats, but these are some of the nicest sounding ones on record. They never detract from the humanity of the songs.

13. foureyedsometimes

foureyedsometimes I don’t know, but I want it

Deep One Perfect Morning - 4/5

Another great song and fitting for the LP though I feel would have fitted later in the album better.

14. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

And (hopefully not a spoiler) there’s a Lee Hazlewood track coming up in this thread as a b-side before too long.

15. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Deep One Perfect Morning - I love the low vocals and the guitar picking here. Great mood setter.

Same for me too. In the 90’s Slowdive did an excellent dreamy shoegaze version of Hazelwood’s “Some Velvet Morning” that I can’t help but feel was inspired by hearing this JMC track years earlier.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Slowdive have totally passed me by, which is a strange one as I should like them. I've just never got round to listening to them properly in all this time. I'll have to listen as I keep reading that their reunion stuff has been great.

I first heard Some Velvet Morning through picking up a cheap and near mint 45 having never heard it. When I played it - 'This is incredible!'. I played that single over and over and then picked up all the Nancy and Lee records. They're patchy but the good stuff is really good and there's a lot of it.

17. Neonbeam

Where’s that originally from? I first noticed it on US CD versions of “Souvlaki” - with the ugly, cropped artwork. Then it showed up on the “Anthology”. Since it’s not on a b-side, is this from some compilation or tribute album?

The track got to a wider audience in 1982 through the fantastic Lydia Lunch/ Rowland S Howard version on a 4AD 7”!

hutlock likes this.
  18. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

It was exclusive to this compilation:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4794016-Various-Volume-Seven

hutlock and Neonbeam like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Cool, thank you! I suspected it came from a comp. This also explains why it wasn’t a bonus track on the Japanese “Souvlaki” disc.

(Looking at Discogs: “Issued with a 192 page book”. WTF?!)

dirkster likes this.
  20. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Deep One Perfect Morning.

Never clicked with me when the album came out all those years ago, but I got it in the end. A fantastic track. 4/5.

21. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The “Volume” series of CD + CD-sized book were great collectibles and always had exclusive tracks. Think of it as a regularly issued magazine that came with a CD.

22. Neonbeam

Ah, cool! If they were done with the typical Japanese eye for detail I figure they are visually stunning!

dirkster likes this.
  23. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yes, a regular purchase for me at the time—still a ton of otherwise unreleased or very hard to find stuff on those sets. And they look great lined up on the shelf!

CaptainWhoopass and dirkster like this.
  24. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

They were actually British and the magazine was full of mistakes, but the music more than made up for it!

CaptainWhoopass likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Made in Japan, sold in the UK?