Our Next Amazing 3-D Restoration!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an Epson projector and I'm very happy with it.

polchik, Exotiki and alexpop like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My nickname for these new shot flat, 3-D conversions is Faux-D, the 3D equivalent of LieMax (the Imax equivalent of not shot in Imax). Dishonesty in advertising. The Maze is a classic old 3D picture, glad to see it getting the proper restoration.

longdist01, Bob Furmanek and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Apt terminology.

4. Bob Furmanek

On October 14, 2014, we released our first 3-D title on Blu-ray: DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.

Over these past four years, we have established a winning formula for rescuing vintage 3-D films and have proudly restored fourteen vintage titles for Blu-ray release.

Working with microscopic budgets, we have brought these stereoscopic gems back to life and out of the vaults and into your homes. We truly care more about preservation than profit and you can not find a better team than Greg Kintz, Thad Komorowski, Jack Theakston and Eckhard Büttner. Thanks to our dedicated staff of restoration experts, the films truly look better today than when they were first shown in theaters.

Our current restoration project is the never released in 3-D headhunter jungle adventure JIVARO aka LOST TREASURE OF THE AMAZON starring Fernando Lamas and Rhonda Fleming with Brian Keith, Lon Chaney and Rita Moreno. Watch for it from Kino Lorber in early 2019.

Other 3-D Film Archive restorations coming soon include 3-D RARITIES II from Flicker Alley featuring the ultra-rare feature (not shown anywhere since 1954) EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA starring Cesar Romero and Katy Jurado; a 3-D Nudie-Cuties double feature with Francis Ford Coppola's THE BELLBOY AND THE PLAYGIRLS plus the never-before-seen Natural Vision feature, ADAM AND 6 EVES. In addition, there are many more surprise features from 3-D's Golden Age including one title that was never released in third-dimension that will make its official debut on 3-D Blu-ray in 2019. Keep an eye on our website for news and updates: 3dfilmarchive

I thank everyone for your interest and support. Rest assured; there is much more to come!

[​IMG]

5. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

BELLBOY AND THE PLAYGIRLS is probably the widest exposure German musical film star Willy Fritsch ever got in the US.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  6. Bob Furmanek

It is a great pleasure to introduce the newest members of our 3-D Film Archive team.

Hillary Hess has contributed immensely to several commentary tracks and written detailed articles for our website at 3dfilmarchive . At present, she is curating a fabulous visual essay of "Mid-Century Memories in Kodachrome 3-D" for the upcoming 2020 Blu-ray release of 3-D RARITIES II from Flicker Alley.

Austin Quintana is the newest member of our team. He is an incredibly talented photographer/filmmaker and just designed ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CASTLE FILMS; our latest non-stereoscopic project for Shout Factory. He recently acquired a 35mm Stereo Realist and you'll be hearing a lot more from Austin in the future. Check out his excellent work behind the camera at home* - austin kane quintana

Mike Ballew has also shared his vast expertise on various articles and commentary tracks. He is currently writing the liner notes for 3-D RARITIES II and will be adding some fascinating new information to the commentary track for TAZA, SON OF COCHISE. Through extensive research in studio files, he has documented an unknown camera rig built exclusively for that important Technicolor/widescreen production from Douglas Sirk.

As we approach our sixth year of restoring vintage 3-D gems for Blu-ray and theatrical release, we have nearly a dozen features (and several other surprises) in the restoration pipeline. Hillary, Austin and Mike will each play an important role on our upcoming projects.

Please join me in welcoming this VERY talented group aboard our third-dimensional bandwagon!

[​IMG]

7. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Welcome aboard. It is such a pleasure to see you folks recovering these worn out gems from our past.

longdist01 and Bob Furmanek like this.
  8. Bob Furmanek

Coming to 3-D Blu-ray in 2020: Budd Boetticher's stereoscopic masterpiece WINGS OF THE HAWK (1953) Starring Van Heflin & Julia Adams!

Here's the original trailer:

[​IMG]

longdist01, alexpop and Exotiki like this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you Bob and 3-D Film Archive for all these cool films and future projects!

scobb, Exotiki and Bob Furmanek like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3DTV?
    NOS in warehouses no doubt.

Exotiki likes this.
  11. Bob Furmanek

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah from everyone at the 3-D Film Archive.

You'll have a VERY dimensional 2020 with these stereoscopic gems coming to you on 3-D Blu-ray: 3-D Rarities II; Taza, Son of Cochise, Wings of the Hawk and Revenge of the Shogun Women!

[​IMG]

Pinknik likes this.
  12. Bob Furmanek

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Bob Furmanek

3-D RARITIES II will be released on March 24 and Flicker Alley is now taking pre-orders for this new and exciting 3-D Blu-ray collection!

Shop – Flicker Alley

[​IMG]

longdist01, polchik and Larry Geller like this.
  14. Bob Furmanek

Douglas Sirk's TAZA, SON OF COCHISE is a stereoscopic masterpiece and belongs in every 3-D Blu-ray collection.

You'll enjoy this new article by 3-D experts Mike Ballew and Hillary Hess: Taza, Son of Cochise - 3dfilmarchive

[​IMG]

15. Bob Furmanek

3DFA will host their first live stream event!

Dial R for Restoration; New Projects from the 3-D Film Archive!

In this 45 minute chat, we'll discuss the painstaking work on DYNASTY: have a giveaway contest with a cool 3D artifact and announce an exciting new restoration for 3-D Blu-ray release later this year.

Please join Greg Kintz, Jack Theakston and Bob Furmanek for the festivities and get your questions ready; we look forward to talking with you!

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Bob Furmanek

scobb, ti-triodes and longdist01 like this.
  17. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I don't know if the movies are any good but I LOVE those posters.

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Can’t wait for Dynasty to come out. Thanks for the great work Bob!

longdist01 and Bob Furmanek like this.
  19. Bob Furmanek

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Because the business is still going strong elsewhere in the world. The industry at least in the US, decided to kill 3D because it was easier than convincing your wife to show a little patience with it. There's no reason the couldn't have included the tech in a 4K set, but it would have increased the cost of a feature that was clearly not making them any extra money to keep going. They cut their losses, and cut 3D fans out of the picture.

I'd really like an OLED set, but that's not going to happen until my 2010 Panasonic Plasma dies. And once it does, I'm still going to consider installing a projector in the ceiling just for the purpose of not letting my 3D collection go to waste.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow. Can I just say how incredibly beautiful that lead actress is/was?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tRrPmJ94UZo

22. Bob Furmanek

Sixty-eight years ago today, the Paramount Theatre on Times Square made exhibition history with the world premiere engagement of HOUSE OF WAX. Augmented with WarnerColor and four-channel WarnerPhonic Sound, the shocker starred Vincent Price, Phyllis Kirk, and Frank Lovejoy, who that night only made guest appearances in the Paramount’s stage show.

Headlining the stage portion throughout the engagement was young RCA recording sensation Eddie Fisher, supported by Hugo Winterhalter & His Orchestra, The Beachcombers, and comedian Joey Forman. The booking was hailed as the mightiest ever at the Paramount for the Easter holiday season and there was quite a debate at the time whether Eddie Fisher or HOUSE OF WAX was the bigger draw!

More information on this landmark 3-D movie can be found here: House of Wax - 3dfilmarchive

[​IMG]

altaeria, Boom Operator and ggergm like this.
  23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Where do I get my tickets? :)

24. Bob Furmanek

You'll need a time machine!

Pizza likes this.
  25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Hey, Bob. I enjoyed Dynasty and I'm happy to have backed Revenge of the Shogun Women!

I have a couple of quick questions. Do you still plan to release Sea Dream at some future date? Also, is Magic Journeys a Disney or Kodak held property? I imagine it'd be tough to get either way, but, man, I'd love to see that one again. Thanks! Keep up the good work!

Bob Furmanek likes this.