Our Next Amazing 3-D Restoration!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your support!

No, there are VERY expensive music clearance issues with both shorts.

Boom Operator and Pinknik like this.
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Could they be done otherwise? We talking 5 or 6 figures?

Just curious. Thanks, Bob.

3. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

The House of Wax Hollywood premier was attended by motley assortment of people...

4. Bob Furmanek

scobb, ti-triodes and chilinvilin like this.
  5. Bob Furmanek

As I mentioned in yesterday's update, the original left/right elements for COLLEGE CAPERS were destroyed in the 1970s. All that survives today is a very faded anaglyphic release print from 1953. Here's an example of the restoration work that we've been able to do on this severely compromised element.

This is the original raw scan compared to our new restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the same image in discrete 3-D, presented in both parallel and cross-eyed versions.

[​IMG]

6. Bob Furmanek

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking, how do you reconstruct an anaglyph print back into left and right eyes?

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Why are the red snd blue flipped between the two?

9. Bob Furmanek

We have developed very advanced, proprietary techniques for extracting the original left/right images from anaglyphic images. I used it extensively on the comic book restorations on our website: 3-D Comic Books - 3dfilmarchive

They are flipped in the new restored digital master because cyan/right is now the preferred viewing method.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

First on my wish list is....

[​IMG]

11. Bob Furmanek

12. Bob Furmanek

13. Bob Furmanek

THE DIAMOND WIZARD is in compatible 3-D which will play in polarized 3-D if you have the proper equipment OR anaglyphic 3-D which can be seen on any display!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Boom Operator and chilinvilin like this.
  14. Bob Furmanek

"As I’ve said for past reviews, the 3-D Film Archive crew are cinematic magicians restoring these nearly lost or almost completely forgotten classics to their proper 3-D glory. Each project has had its own unique issues to deal with and they’ve done masterful work in the past. But with The Diamond Wizard they may well have set a new high bar for themselves. Simply put this 1.65:1 1080p 3D Blu-ray presentation is a marvel! Amazingly the film was never shown in 3-D during its original theatrical run, and it wasn’t seen stereoscopically until 2006! This is a shocking tidbit to me because this is a phenomenal example of what great 3-D can look like. From wide-open shots of an atomic lab to tight closeups of guns or a piece of jewelry, there’s an incredible sense of depth that’s easy on the eyes without any unsightly ghosting or parallax effects.

Depth along the Z-axis is vast making it feel like you could see into the distance for miles while there are plenty of Pop-Outs and foreground objects to maintain scale. Camera movements are well-timed and fluid to ensure depth is never lost and your eyes never strain or “bug out.” And speaking of Pop-Outs, there are plenty of amazing moments and objects that push their way out of the screen but they’re not the main focus - not every shot is composed to elicit this effect so when you see a revolver barrel or a suitcase or a model plane punch out of the screen it’s a surprise and well-managed effect. Even optical effects of telegram ticker tape over the screen add amazing depth to a brief moment in the film.

Referring back to a key moment on the escalator at a tube station I mentioned earlier, when I was a kid I got to go to London and those steep drop escalators terrified me. They gave me such vertigo I was sure I’d fall. There’s a scene in the third act that takes place on just such an escalator and it immediately gave me that terrifying vertigo feeling - and it’s glorious!"

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Got my pre-order in. I can’t wait. Thanks again for all the great work you guys do over at 3DFA.

16. Bob Furmanek

I have some great news to share.

Greg Kintz and I will be doing an interview very soon with Heath Holland at Cereal at Midnight. Heath is one of the best and if you haven't already checked out his website and YouTube channel, please do: Cereal At Midnight

We'll be covering a lot of fascinating topics and sharing some preservation stories that I believe you will find most interesting and enlightening. Plus, I have just been given a green light to announce one of the six titles that are presently confirmed for 3DFA restoration!

I'll give you one hint: unless you were among the select few to see one of the VERY limited 3-D playdates of this title nearly seventy years ago, you have never before seen this incredibly rare and entertaining film in third-dimension!

[​IMG]

17. Bob Furmanek

Here's a sneak preview of the wonderful new artwork created for our official 70th anniversary ROBOT MONSTER 3-D Blu-ray release by the brilliant artist, Stewart McKissick.

Look for the full reveal - with both the artwork and our distributor announcement - very soon!

[​IMG]

18. Bob Furmanek

We are very pleased to announce the distributor for our 70th anniversary ROBOT MONSTER restoration on 3-D Blu-ray and DVD; Bayview Entertainment!

BayView Entertainment, LLC, has been one of America's leading independent distributors of feature films, fitness, wellness, and special-interest video releases for over 19 years. With hit films such as “THE ENORMITY OF LIFE” (starring Breckin Meyer), “BURNING BODHI” (starring Kaley Cuoco), and the 2023 sensation “SKINAMARINK” leading the way, BayView’s development in independent cinema has made it one of the fastest growing names in the field. Incorporating catalogs from Mutiny Pictures, VIPCO, Monterey Media, Bennett Marine Video, and many others, BayView is positioned to expand even further in years to come.

BayView's programs are available on the major streaming sites around the world plus on DVD and Blu-ray. BayView can be found online at BayView Entertainment and their Facebook page is BayView Entertainment ROBOT MONSTER is our inaugural release with this great company and we couldn't be more pleased.

In addition, we are thrilled to share the 3-D Blu-ray cover artwork with you. This original illustration is from the remarkably talented artist, Stewart McKissick. We love it!

[​IMG]

Look for this exciting region free release from Bayview Entertainment in the summer of 2023! #bayviewentertainment

longdist01, altaeria, scobb and 4 others like this.
  19. Bob Furmanek

The stereoscopic cinematography is excellent and comparable to the major studio 3-D productions in 1953.

This disc will have both Blu-ray 3-D AND red/cyan anaglyphic versions. No special equipment is needed to view this in beautifully restored third-dimension!

20. Bob Furmanek

Greg Kintz and I are delighted to join Bill Groves on his latest episode of Movie Nights and Matinees. We discuss ROBOT MONSTER and other exciting 3-D restoration projects. We hope that you enjoy it!

Latest Episode | Movie Nights & Matinees

Boom Operator and Simon A like this.
  21. Bob Furmanek

We have two very special Midwest Sneak Preview screenings of our new ROBOT MONSTER restoration! The first will take place at the fabulous Wisconsin Film Festival on Saturday, April 15. Bob Furmanek will be there to introduce the film and discuss this most complex and painstaking restoration. Advance tickets are now on sale: 2023 Wisconsin Film Festival

Cinecolor expert Jack Theakston will be in Madison as well for a screening of our highly acclaimed JACK AND THE BEANSTALK restoration on April 16. Jack will also be presenting a master class presentation on this most complex color process along with his one-of-a-kind 35mm Cinecolor Trailer Reel. 2023 Wisconsin Film Festival

The second advance Midwest preview of ROBOT MONSTER (with JACK AND THE BEANSTALK) will take place on May 24 in Columbus at the Wexner Center for the Arts at Ohio State University. Tickets for this opening night screening to kick-off The Columbus Moving Picture Show weekend will be available soon. I'll post an update announcement as soon as those advance tickets go on sale.

And rest assured, there's lots of Ro-Man excitement ahead. Stay tuned for a VERY special 70th anniversary screening of ROBOT MONSTER in New York City on Saturday, June 24...

longdist01 and Pinknik like this.
  22. Bob Furmanek

Happy 80th birthday to Mr. Greg Moffett, the youngest Hu-Man we have ever known!

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks @Bob Furmanek for news on Midwest screening, would be wonderful to see it on the big screen!

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  24. Bob Furmanek

BEN TURPIN CELEBRATES NATIONAL 3-D DAY!

National 3-D Day celebrates the art, science, and history of stereoscopic 3-D imagery. Every year, in March, on the third day of the third week of the third month, we explore the technologies used to create 3-D photographs, movies, and art, and we celebrate the many ways that these images have been viewed and enjoyed.

Watch a 3DFA restoration on Blu-ray today and ENJOY!

[​IMG]

25. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Can I ask a question about this picture? Is the cameraman using a stereo still camera of some sort? The camera doesn't look large enough to hold moving film stock. If Ben is making a silent film in stereo this would have to be one of the very earliest examples right?