Outlander

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anyone catch the new series Outlander? I'm a little ambivalent about getting into it as that sort of historical setting/material doesn't appeal to me very much. I was one of those who begrudgingly started watching Game Of Thrones (for similar reasons), until an overwhelming tide of 'you should see it - it's nothing like you might expect'. So I gave it a go and was dully blown away, especially because the focus was on characterization.

I hear this series is also character driven, but if it's all just about peoples' dreary lives in the Scottish highlands (I don't know anything about the books), etc, then I'm not sure that it would have much appeal.

So, anyway, I would welcome people's thoughts.

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I think Ronald D Moore of re-imagined Battlestar:Galactica fame is involved so I might check it out when I have the time.

I think he's a great writer, but I don't understand the projects he has involved himself in in recent years.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oh! Thought it was the the sci-fi movie.

Regginold31 and medium Rob like this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

We watched part 1 last night. Seemed a little slow, but the Scottish scenery (when it wasn't CG Fx), and accents, and a little bit of the plot was quite entertaining.

No relation to Highlander :)

Regginold31 and groundharp like this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I watched the first episode on a free preview from Starz as Ronald D. Moore being involved drew me in. But it seemed like a romance novel. Like nothing more than a bodice-ripper dressed up with a sci-fi (time travel) element to try and draw fans of that genre in. I wasn't impressed. I don't have Starz, so I can't watch the rest now, but I was thinking of picking it up. I'll pass.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Yep, it's a romantic story wrapped with a bit of time travel. I've seen worse.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It seems aimed squarely at the ladies. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think its for me.

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I like it. Curious to see if she ever gets back. That's not a spoiler. The trailers indicate she travels back in time.

John B Good likes this.
  9. Deesky

I like it. Episode 3 was especially good IMO, with good character development and interactions. I'll take that over 'splosions any day.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. John B Good

I think we'll look forward to that.

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Looks like this is FINALLY going to start airing in Canada next week. From what I've read (online reviews of the show, not the original book), I'm cautiously optimistic.

13. John B Good

Watched what I assume was the second episode last night.

Wondered about someone saying dinner will be at 5 0'clock in 1743 Scotland. Also, damned fine mirror in the laird's castle. Presentism?

14. John B Good

We're seeing it on Showcase I think. That incredibly irritating voice introducing 'mature subject matter, nudity, bla bla bla' that used to plague Bravo is here, but she's on warp speed now :(

15. John B Good

Still watching it, but boy, is Showcase ever a disgusting channel. I think the program is about an hour, but Showcase rams in about 30 minutes of commercials, in huge chunks. They must regard the audience as real losers. Could anyone watch such excess without a DVR? :(

16. Deesky

Me too. It's easily the best TV show out there right now. The last episode (6) was perhaps the most brilliant hour of TV I've seen in a very long time. Outstanding.

17. John B Good

And if she gets back, will she be able to carry on with her husband, given what we've seen of his villainous ancestor? :)

18. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Didn't see this thread before opening one titled Outlander so I guess we have dup's.
    I watched all of the first eight episodes multiple times, have also read all eight of the books multiple times. It appears by the postings none of the posters have read the books, take my word for it they are much more than just a romace novel, the time travel part is very minor to the rest of the storie. The first book is primer for the rest of the series, there is war, love, court intrigue, kids, time travel again, ahh, read the books they are definately page turners, can't put down types.
    So far Mr. Moore has done a remakable job staying with the book, the author Diana Gabaldon is the consultant on all the scripts, she an Mr. Moore have cameo's in the 4th episode.
    Black Jack gets his later.

Jim

John B Good likes this.
  19. Deesky

So...it's just like the series (so far)?

20. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Yea Ronal is doing a great job with the scripts following the book Diana is helping with that a touch, lite touch, but a touch just the same plus agreeing to do the mini series he had to and has read the books so he knows how they go they are now commited to do the next two books so we get at least three seasons as each season will only do one book each next one is book two Dragonfly in Amber.

Jim

21. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Just a bit more on the history of the Outlander series it is a tremendous extensive history of the Scots and the Highlanders and the destruction of said Hightlanders,"the clans" in the second rising to put the pretender on the throne, "The Stuarts" Bonnie Prince Charlie, and all that occured afterward. Diana has done huge amounts of searching for the info and spending time in Scotland, which by the way all the show in done in Scotland on location including a real Scotish castle "Castle Leoch" in the show. If you want to learn about Scotland and the history of the Scots after the rising read the books.

Jim

22. Deesky

No, I'm not interested in reading the books. I just couldn't work out what you meant by "take my word for it they are much more than just a romace novel, the time travel part is very minor to the rest of the storie", because that is exactly what the series has not been about. That is, it hasn't been purely romance and doesn't appear to be about time travel, which seems purely a device.

23. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Actually it only happens once in the show as in the first book, as you have seen, the whole book series and the mini series is about the life of Clare and Jamie and all there travels and traveils of there life, a history if you will of them and all who they interact with friends, family, enemy's, covering a time span in the books of at least 40+ years, this is all told from 1st person perspective by Clare as you have noticed she narrates the show as she does or tells in the books.

24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

why such a long break?

25. John B Good

We'll be making a return visit to Scotland soon, but not to the Inverness area. Was there a few years ago though.

The travel agent we are working with says there are now tour packages incorporating the actual shooting locales of the series!

alexpop likes this.