Outlander

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I watched the marathon last week and really enjoyed it. :cheers:

ibanez_ax likes this.
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Back tonight!

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Tomorrow in Canada

John B Good likes this.
  4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I won't spoil anything! :ignore:

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought it was pretty good in the end, though there were some scenes early on which I thought felt a little forced and out of character. The lovely Caitriona Balfe's contract must have stipulated more boobage, not that I'm complaining, but some of the scenes seemed a little gratuitous...

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

As long as there isn't too much gratuitous sax and violins :(

:)

7. Deesky

No, but thankfully the soundtrack didn't include Yakety Sax. :D

John B Good likes this.
  8. John B Good

I gave my wife a copy of the first book for Christmas. But she hasn't gotten into it yet. From your description I think I'd like to read it.

9. John B Good

I hope the politically correct crowd doesn't get on board and rant about highlander household discipline. ;)

10. Deesky

That was the bit that I thought felt a little forced and out of character.

11. John B Good

Was it just distortion in the dimly lit scene, or did we see Randall's privates in the episode that featured the rape (attempted?) of the hero's sister?

12. Deesky

Private Johnny was on display, but did not salute! :D

John B Good likes this.
  13. Deesky

ep15 "Wentworth Prison" - wow! What a devastating, disturbing and brilliant episode that was. I could feel my heart rate climbing as events unfolded in rapid succession, each more wrenching then the last. And it looks like things a perfectly set up for an episode of similar caliber next week. Can't wait!

Alan G. likes this.
  14. My sister and bro-in-law are big fans and bought Season One on Blu-ray. I watched the first 2 episodes and liked it enough to watch some more.

15. Deesky

Man, that was brutal! Given what transpired in the season ender (and the previous ep), I can only laugh at the hub-bub raised over the rape scene in Game Of Thrones which is PG rated compared to this.

Excellent first season and that theme song has really grown on me.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  16. John B Good

A Scottish classic

I'm just about to start the book, and we hope to see the Season closer today or tomorrow.

Deesky likes this.
  17. Deesky

Thanks, I'd wondered if it was an original composition for the show or a well known standard. However, I must say that I infinitely prefer the female vocal version from the show. I wonder if that's available somewhere in full...

18. Deesky

Season 2's back, baby! Terrific opening episode.

Spoilers...

The episode started with what I assume was a flash-forward (from the past) where Claire returns to her own century, but two years later than when she first disappeared. It was kind of a brilliant move because it reunited her with her (original) husband Frank played by the same actor who was such a sadistic a-hole in the 18th century (Jack). This emotional conflict is especially heightened if you watch the last episode of the previous season (as I did) before seeing this one. Some brilliant acting there, especially when Frank finds out Claire is pregnant by her 'new' husband from the past - he nearly loses it, which just brings back memories of the horrors Jack had inflicted on her and Jamie in 18th century timeline.

The second half goes back to the past and continues the story from last season's end where our sailors arrive in France to make new enemies and to stop future events, in order to save the Scots and the Highlands.

It's great to have this show back!

Alan G. and Rufus McDufus like this.
  19. John B Good

Have now seen the first 2 episodes of the second season.

Lots of deliciousness, but the royal bowel movement was as off-putting to me as the interminable torture-rape scene of the last season.

Obviously we know that Clare and Jamie will fail to prevent Culloden, but I think I made a good guess about how that brief return to 1948 at the start of the second season will be developed over the series. No surprise to me that Black Jack is not dead.

BTW I did read volume 1 of the book series, but will never have time to carry on.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any good, or just chick fodder?

21. Deesky

It's sophisticated story telling - make of that what you will. I'd put it in the same league as Better Call Saul and Bloodline. It doesn't get much better than that.

The latest episode (ep 6) was fantastic with lots developments and tension, culminating in a dramatic, action packed last scene. Excellent stuff.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Time travel.
    I did enjoy the novel Bid Time Return.

23. Deesky

It's not really about time travel as such, as it's mostly used as a device for the real story to unfold in the past, with just a nod to future events (even the 'future' is in our past, circa 1940s).

24. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Well, someone's not dead, but his ability to have children looks to be over.

Too bad more folks here aren't watching the show, it really is compelling storytelling.

Alan G. likes this.
  25. Deesky

Another season over, and another brilliant piece of television. What a great finale that was. Not absolutely perfect (Claire's daughter, Brianna, left me cold, and the frequent intercutting between time periods sometimes compromised story momentum), but the emotional highs far outweighed such quibbles.

Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan are simply brilliant in every scene - they are the true heart of this show. But kudos also goes to pretty much all the rest of the cast (with the exception of Brianna) too. Excellent acting, great costumes and real Scottish history with time travel!

The great news is that Outlander has been renewed for seasons 3 and 4.

BZync and ibanez_ax like this.