Outlaw RR2160 thread.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. xrqp

xrqp Member

ETHERNET PORT ON RR2160 - WORKS W DLNA SERVER
    The RR2160 owner manual says, regarding its rear Ethernet port:
    "Connect the RR 2160 to your home network with an Ethernet cable for access to Internet Radio stations or audio files on a home DLNA server." How does that work?
    Does my network see a MAC on the RR2160 and can create an IP address for the RR2160?
    Can i use an ipad and software to control a NAS in another room, and all I need is a CAT5 cable from my router to my RR2160?
    Then it shows up on JRiver or any DLNA music server?
    So I don't need a streamer like utraRendu?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. newtonty

newtonty Active Member

I already had my Project S phono stage prior to purchasing the RR2160. I also have the debut carbon TT, and with plenty of A/B testing, I ended up using the Project S phono stage instead of the built-in phono stage on the RR2160. It was by no means light years better, but I seemed to prefer the sound of the external phono stage.

3. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

In case anyone interested in the RR2160 or other Outlaw product missed the Black Friday sale, they have a "holiday sale" until Dec 18th at midnight:
    Outlaw Audio's Holiday Promo!
    The RR2160 is $800 shipped.

4. drseid

drseid Active Member

I purchased the RR2160 & BLSv2 Bookshelf Loudspeaker combo back in October. Their combo deals are worth a look as well since the price was effectively $699 for RR2160 & $449 for the BLSv2 Bookshelves plus roughly $75 shipping.

5. Esquared1

Esquared1 Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks for the feedback!

6. Esquared1

Hi newtonty, to clarify do you use the Project S with or without the tubes?

7. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

Nice feature. It was plug and play for me. I used Audirvana with Tidal and local FLAC files and the software could see the Outlaw when it was on the network. I could play anything in my Audirvana library so I assume NAS files could be added. I also used the iPad app to control the music but had to keep my mac running the software.

8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

I play flac files or Wav files I load from needledrops. I think there may be something to DAC break in. My PC into RR2169 PC USB sounds pretty good IMO. I do remember at first using a digital in from my cd player and being dissatisfied. It got better IMO, the DAC sounds good IMO,

Is there really a such thing as PC electronic noise ? No being smartazz either...
    Maybe I'm too deaf to notice and ignorance is bliss..

9. BDC

Amazing......I got fleeced........ B stock?
    What do you think of the speakers? and do you run a sub?
    Do you run the speakers away from a wall with switch engaged. Kind of thinking I'm compromised.

10. drseid

drseid Active Member

I run Martin Logan Motion 40's towed and 2 ft from wall channel A & the outlaws channel B on opposite wall same way. A supercube 2000 is used with BLSv2's and the switch is not engaged. The BLSv2's sound great but mine still need a break in period as the RR2160 did. The RR2160 really woke up after a few days when I broke it in using the Martin's. I mostly play tidal on pc usb and vinyl using the outlaws phono input. There's about a 5 db difference in volume between the turntable and the laptop. I've got a Pro Ject Phono Box Ultra 500 & Marantz CD 6006 UK Edition arriving from across the pond and will do some more listening over the holiday. So far I'm definitely impressed.

BDC likes this.
  11. BDC

Mine sound good, but I bet they would sound better in the right proximity to a wall with the switch not on. I actually meant, do you run yours with the switch off, but I got it backwards.
    Do you run A & B together? Seems that configuration (towed in opposite walls)could have phasing issues? You don't run guitar amps facing each other, but maybe small adjustment of angles fixes it..

A lot of good info getting generated in this thread. Some of the posters could benefit from reading through it, looks like some topics are getting repeated a little.....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  12. xrqp

xrqp Member

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Maybe someone can kindly give me some advice, please. I have a 2150, essentially the same as the 2160. I'd like to connect my iPad to the Outlaw to play concert recordings on Youtube. Right now I'm going out of the headphone jack of the iPad to the mini Aux input on the front 2150.

The manual says I can get better SQ through the rear USB port. What type of connector do I use? The port looks "squatter" than the standard USB port. The 2160 has both ports, but not the 2150. And being a Luddite with these things, I assume I connect to the iPad through the port which is for charging. I assume this is called the Lightning port which also is for transmitting data. So I assume the connector will be an Apple product? Thanks!

Edit: maybe I need a USB-C (from iPad) to a "Fast USB" cable that goes to the Outlaw USB port? 2.0 output?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  14. BDC

I'm pretty sure the back of your 2150 takes a USB B type. I know nothing about I pods or what type connectors they take, or if it's different from one to the next. Doing a quick search leads me to think your only option is headphone jack out to aux.

I'm no techie or even close, but I don't think charge ports on phones or other devices multi-task in this way, I could be wrong..

Jerry likes this.
  15. Jerry

Thanks! The headphone jack/ aux option actually works well. I just figured the USB port might offer better SQ.

:tiphat:

BDC likes this.
  16. baronoz

baronoz New Member

long-time lurker, first time poster. just ordered a rr2160, and should be showing up this week. can't wait to get it set up with my KEF Q300s — have been pretty much all sonos up until now.

17. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I just emailed Outlaw Support to get their thoughts on possibly implementing a way to set volume levels by source. For example I normally keep the phono input (moving magnet setting) at around -40db but when I switch the input to tuner, that is way too loud and I prefer it at around -60. I would like to be able to set the desired volume level for each input or have it remember what the last volume level was for each input.
    They replied and thought it was a good idea. We will see what they do, if anything.

18. Jerry

Try setting the Phono input to MC. We discussed previously that there's no down side.

BDC likes this.
  19. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I asked Outlaw about this and here is what they said...
    Since your cartridge is rated at outputting 5mV you will want to leave it set to MM. Setting to MC could result in overloading the phono input stage.

Jerry likes this.
  20. Jerry

That would not be good, eh? Smart checking with them!

21. Esquared1

<Switching back to MM>

22. newtonty

newtonty Active Member

Without tubes

23. AudioMike33

AudioMike33 Well-Known Member

Hey guys glad I found this thread I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger on this amp.

Is anybody playing Flac files through the DAC it's built into this? Is 192 is high as it'll go 24-bit?

Curious there's not a lot of information on the site about it curious if it'll play DSD files that all is anybody tried DSD files through the internal DAC?

Appreciate some feedback I'm like ready to buy it but just trying to find out a little more information I'm glad I found this thread cuz you guys are actual owners which is going to help me even more.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Yes and yes. 192/24 via USB only.

DSD capability is not listed as a feature, which you'd think they certainly would if it had that capability. According to this review "The Outlaw Audio RR2160 does not play DSD files, but the OPPO BDP-103 can output them at a sampling rate of 88kHz in PCM, which the Outlaw was able to play."

The Pinhead likes this.
  25. AudioMike33

AudioMike33 Well-Known Member

Okay thank you very much for the information I didn't think it would play DST files little disappointing for the price but that's the way it is.

The Pinhead likes this.