Outlaw RR2160 thread.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. xrqp

xrqp Member

RR2160 Listening tests: Cables used were not audiophile type.
    1. Setup 1) laptop -> USB cable -> RR2160.
    2. Setup 2) Ethernet -> Cambridge Audio CXN V2 -> analog RCA cable -> RR2160. This was a little better sound quality than setup 1. Did the Cambridge have a better DAC or was the Cambridge a cleaner source? I suspect the cleaner source accounts for most of the small improvement, so i cannot say anything negative about the RR2160 DAC based on this test. I returned the unit to instead get more expensive streamer.
    3. Setup 3) Laptop -> USB cable -> Schiit Eitr -> Coax SPDIF cable -> RR2160. This was about the same sound quality as setup 2 at a much lower cost, but does not solve the poor Ethernet DLNA limitations of the RR2160 which cannot handle lossless 16bit 44kHz or higher (details at Ethernet DLNA port on Outlaw Audio RR2160 receiver ). Solving that is important to me.
    I since ordered a $2500 Auralic Aires G1 streamer, and near $2000 Mytek Brooklyn DAC, expensive cables and power supplies, and Uptone Audio USB REGEN, all for about $6000. Holy crap. All from watching the Han Beekhuyzen youtubes. Also because I am in a new situation where I am enjoying the music very much. I will try to report back in a month or two.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

DocShipe likes this.
  3. Carlos Austin

Carlos Austin Forum Resident

Just ordered one today, will post feedback once here.

JackG likes this.
  4. newtonty

newtonty Active Member

That's a really great deal!

5. ihatecomingupwithnames

ihatecomingupwithnames Active Member

Just thought I'd note that, like the OP, I just bought the RR2160, based in part on the recommendations I read here. I actually grabbed one of the current B-stock deals. Arrived today and it's in perfect condition, no blemish to be seen anywhere. And full warranty. And this thing sounds great right out of the box (compared to the Yamaha RV-X673 it replaced). Heck of a deal if you're on the fence.

JackG and Carlos Austin like this.
  6. Lucifigus

Lucifigus Forum Resident

Having recently retired, I have been assessing my set up. I live in third (top) floor flat with a neighbour on the second floor who is sensitive to noise. I do most of my serious listening through headphones with a Woo Audio WA2 and Beyer T1s. Since retiring a few months ago, I realize when my neighbour is at work, I can now enjoy a bit more volume during the day.

I ordered the 2160 a couple weeks ago, before the recent B stock sale. I would have jumped on the sale, but I am not disappointed in what it offers at full price. It replaces a 15 year old Denon 5.1 receiver, and I never really found the 5.1 did much for me, so I felt the Outlaw was a good choice. I also operate a set of speakers, with a sub, in the kitchen (I like to cook), so the connections and bass management appealed to me, among other things.

In the slippery slope of reassessing my set up, I have also ordered a Klipsch 12” sub-woofer and a pair of KEF LS50s to replace my somewhat mediocre Paradigm speakers and sub — these will arrive soon. I am also moving my equipment set up to a shelf next to the computer to shorten my connection cables (moving from optical to USB into the DAC). With so many changes, I need to spend some time configuring the room and assessing the new sound.

I can say however, at this point, I am quite happy with my choice to get the 2160.

JackG, Carlos Austin and DocShipe like this.
  7. Malechi

Malechi Active Member

Hello all. I have a RR2160 and I'm new to upscale audio listening. Here's my setup in my office...

Amplifier - Outlaw Audio RR2160
    Digital Media Player - Sonos Connect
    Turntable - Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon DC
    Compact Disc Player - Marantz SA8004
    Mains - KEF LS50 (Black Edition)
    Subwoofer - Sunfire XTEQ 8"

I think it sounds great but, again, I'm a pretty novice audiophile.

I use SACD and regular CDs on the Marantz SA8004 and I'm using the analog outs on this player. Should I be using the toslink or SPDIF instead?

JackG likes this.
  8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Nice setup. I'd stick with the analog outs if you want to hear SACD as SACD (DSD). The digital outs can only pass PCM.

9. Malechi

Malechi Active Member

Thanks

10. Arouski

Arouski Well-Known Member

First post, following for a while. Hey all, I'm a mid level hi fi enthusiast/hoarder. I've owned the outlaw 5000 since the relaunch. Mixed in my HT set up. Just recently purchased the 2160 during the current sale/almost give away. Upgraded 25 yo yamaha HT used for stereo only in another room. Living in MA, fed ex delivered in about 12 hours. When it arrived and connected it was great, but, I neglected to test all the buttons. The on/off standby was bad, remote good. After email with Ben at cs, new one on day 3.
    I knew it wood be good, sound good. Radio reception is better, inputs are many. I have noticed some of the same characteristics ie, low gain with mm phono. I don't seem to understand the SUB settings. I found a great reference on the svs site. Plug in your speakers and it reccomeds settings. I still can't here much difference. The old Yamaha would shake the house. I don't use the internet radio options because I have the Chromecast audio, it does everything I want in internet radio, and sounds good. I k ow I'll enjoy this unit for a long time.

11. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Hey all..pulled trigger on 2160 b stock yesterday..629 shipped from outlaw direct seems like sweet price!
    Looking forward to but was surprised that being shipped from portland OR. Therefore not getting in CT till next fri. Puzzled as ma company, and being shipped from there..maybe because b stock?
    Hopefully all works out and hopefully outlaw has checked unit as they state.
    Great thread!.

12. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Thought I should chime in and give an update on my 2160. I had a few issues with my initial unit so music direct shipped out a replacement. I have had the replacement for a few months now and have had zero issues. Love it!

13. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

What issues did you have?....

14. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Left channel cutting out and loud popping. See post #228 in this thread.

15. Arouski

Hey there, I'm sorry if I got the last MA product . I know yours will be worth the wait. When I bought my 5000 amp it came from Oregon.

16. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

How is the sub hooked up? You should have the internal crossovers on your sub disabled and select the closest crossover point to the recommended settings on the Outlaw (60/80/100).

17. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Thanks for comment, no worries and glad you got latest fast. OR just seemed odd, but guess not!

18. xrqp

xrqp Member

RR2160 Listening tests continued:
    LEGEND
    G1 = Auralic Aires G1 $2500
    ISO = Uptone Audio ISO REGEN $325
    JS2 = UPtone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply $925". G1 and ISO were always powered by JS2.
    bDAC = Mytek Brooklyn DAC (not the newer plus model) refurb $1500, orig about $2000
    aUSB cable = Audioquest Carbon 18" (Diamond sounded the same to me so will return it).
    Above items total $5400. and worth it for the sound.
    rUSB cable = A cable that came with my printer 20 years ago, 5 feet long.
    Rate = relative rating from 1 to 10. eg. Rate 4 = 4 stars out of 10.
    line number = system number.
    Speakers: mains Ryan R610 w 14ga. cable, two subs Outlaw Ultra-X13 with Bluejeans subwoofer coax. Both cable types are moderate priced.

SYSTEMS TESTED
    1. Rate 5. Laptop -> rUSB cable -> RR2160.
    2. Rate 6. Laptop -> rUSB cable -> ISO -> RR2160.
    3. Rate 7. G1 -> rUSB cable -> ISO -> bDAC -> RR2160.
    4. Rate 8. G1 -> aUSB cable -> ISO -> bDAC -> RR2160.
    I feel the DAC in the RR2160 is decent. The $1500 DAC was clearly better sounding - no surprise. The sound quality difference from system 1 to system 4 is large. I will not be returning any equipment since it sounds too good to give up now. The sound is totally enthralling and pure. I have never heard anything this good before, including the 70's when we used LPs and had decent speakers and amps. My right ear needs a hearing aid (aid not used for music), and my left ear is typical for 68 years old. Even though I have bad hearing, I appreciate and hear every step up in the rating.
    The G1 and bDAC had to break in for about 300 hours (2 weeks) before it sounded great.
    There are many more combinations I could have tested, but I doubt I will test more.
    This shows that the amp is not a weak link. The amp kept sounding better with every upgrade to the input. It seems likely that a much more expensive amp would sound better, but currently I am not interested.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Carlos Austin likes this.
  19. xrqp

xrqp Member

It is weird that I have $5400 input for a $750 amp (B-stock). I did not want to have to upgrade my input in the future. The amp is what got me started on the audiophile path. When I got the amp I did not know it would do that. Good amp.

Carlos Austin likes this.
  20. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Have to say...so far not super impressed with outlaw customer support. Emailed a ? 4 days ago..no response yet. That and tfrom order to projected delivery...about 9 days. Guessing because b stock and free shipping..and coming from west coast.

21. Arouski

After messing around with the settings for couple days, finally read the manual for the SUB. Klipsch ksw10. I'm now using my Y connector / yard sale item for the SUB inputs. Klipsch states 6 additional db. My concern is the volume, I have the sub level all the way up. Is the 2160 controlling all the volume for the SUB? I have the switch set at 80 and the SUB set at 80. The SUB sounds good, but not compared to the old home theater receiver which shook the house.

22. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Got my 2160b yesterday...perfect condition (and 220 less than new!)
    So far:
    Pros:
    >beautiful, solid build unit!
    >Sounds great...this is with tone defeated. Plenty of bass and clear sound..analog and digital sources. Have not tested with a sub yet...dont think need!
    >Backlit remote

Cons:
    >dlna...not good. Slow to respond and does not support playing anything over mp3. Sometimes will start to play a flac, but music breaks up. Using wmp 12 as server and hifi cast app as controller. 2160 does not appear to support app playback controls (pause, advance music etc)...at least with this app. Note app works fine with dlna (and flac) use with chromecast audio and my denon avr.
    >internet radio..meh. Works but real clunky.

Overall: Still liking as improved sq was my goal. Had the dlna/streaming features with previous onkyo 8270..but sq nowhere near this unit

Note, easy, reliable streaming and dlna solved by connecting a chromecast audio to optical 2...works flawlessly. Out of sight and 2160 rear usb powers.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Nonpoint and Shawn like this.
  23. Nonpoint

Nonpoint Forum Resident

Ah - ok. Disable the crossover on your sub. Setting both at the same level can cause issues.

You shouldn’t have to have the volume at max or need any connector. For reference I had two svs nsd subs at 50% volume with no y connector.

The outlaw does control the volume for your speakers and subs. Sub volume should just be used to blend with your speakers and then leave it be as the outlaw should take care of the rest.

Sound54 likes this.
  24. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Addendum and update on initial review..

>internet radio, after playing with a bit find definitely useable..trick is getting handy with navigating/selecting and adding stations to favorites.
    >FM/HD tuner, good signal is the key. As in basement I ended up running coax from 2160 to garage, then connected a HD tv antenna I had...works awesome for HD and analog FM stations. Really like the HD feature for quick, decent background music, and alternate sub channels.
    >phono stage built in is at a somewhat low output level, instead I use an external stage.
    >SQ is just awesome on all sources...amazing!

JackG likes this.
  25. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Good stuff, Sound54. I have to admit I haven't tried the internet radio or AM/FM at all. Any streaming I do is via an external device (Logitech Squeezebox Touch).

It is a pretty low-gain stage, measured at 33.5dB in MM mode by Stereophile. I just turn up the volume compared to the digital input (which is rarely used). I have to imagine that was a design decision since I find the MM input to be the star of the show, and its measured performance seems to bare this out. For a few weeks now I've been running a Denon DL-301Mk2 into it through a (Bob's) Cinemag 3440A SUT @9:1 and it easily revealed the upgrade in sound quality from the previous DL-160. I don't know what I'd have to upgrade to to better it, but have little interest in finding out at the moment. Would love to play with a >$1,000 stage, though. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Sound54 likes this.