Outlaw RR2160 thread.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Update...again!:
    2160 dlna flac is working (16 bit, 44.1)! No changes to my network, but decided to test again today.
    Same streaming app/server as originally used...no issues today...so I take the 'Con' back!

2. newtonty

newtonty Active Member

For the money, It's really hard to beat a chromecast audio running a Toslink cable connected to the Outlaw provided internal DAC(Burr Brown). If hi-res is your thing, you can cast hi-res 24/96 as well. I like to use a combination of Plex Music for local storage and Tidal Hifi for subscription streaming.

3. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Agreed on the chromecast for streaming..and unfortunately for me back to flaky dlna behavior with the 2160....even with lossy at times. Going to contact Outlaw, maybe just an issue with my 2160. Will use the chromecast for now...rock solid.

4. Arouski

Arouski Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting the blend thing. Have also adjusted the knobs. The sound is good. I think what I'm having trouble with, is adjusting to not hearing the bass kick in with the "auto" setting. Due to my intermittent listening, I don't just leave it active.

5. Arouski

Arouski Well-Known Member

At first I was with you on the Chromecast audio. But I have not been able to adjust for the qobuz stutter and drops. Also when my tablet sleeps the stream stops. This does not happen with other streams. Tried several things. So, after consulting for spouse approval, pulled trigger on bluesoud 2i. The combo 2160/2i s wonderful.

6. Lucifigus

Lucifigus Forum Resident

Help me with a question concerning matching a moving coil cartridge with the RR2160. I am new to MC cartridges, and I am 20 years from the last time I played vinyl. I am shopping for a new turntable and cartridge to return to my album collection. One of the cartridges I am looking at is the Hana SL with a rated output of .5 mV. The MC input sensitivity of the 2160 is rated at .6 mV. Does this mean that the Hana SL output is too low to work well (or at all) with the 2160?

7. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

The one weakness I've found with the RR2160 is its MC setting - it's not good. It even measures strangely in the Stereophile review. I use the MM setting exclusively and it's outstanding. With LO (low output) MC carts like my Denon DL-103r or DL-301 MkII I use a step up transformer to raise the output voltage to MM levels. Works great.

If you want to go the MC route, I'd plan on a step-up or head amp because the onboard MC stage will waste a LOMC. Or simply go HOMC or MM. Outlaw lists the MM input sensitivity as 3.3mV but I've used a Denon DL-160 (1.6mV) and an Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/LP (1.2mV!) with no issues I could detect in terms of noise floor. The Volume was cranked but it's a very quite amp and MM stage.

BDC and Lucifigus like this.
  8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I meant quiet amp, of course. It's still quite an amp. :)

9. overburn

overburn New Member

Background noise, noise floor, black background.

With the volume down and no source playing and then placing your ear right next to the speaker, how much hiss or hum do you hear? None? A little? A lot?

Now with the volume up and no source playing. Any hissing? Hum?

10. Lucifigus

Lucifigus Forum Resident

"With the volume down and no source playing and then placing your ear right next to the speaker, how much hiss or hum do you hear? None? A little? A lot?"
    With volume at minimum, I need to get my ear within 4 inches of the speaker cone (LS50) to detect a hiss. There is no hum that I can detect.

"Now with the volume up and no source playing. Any hissing? Hum?"
    With the volume at maximum with no input, I can just detect an audible hiss if I get my ear within 12 inches of the speaker cone. Again, I can detect no hum.

11. overburn

overburn New Member

Thank you Lucifigus for your feedback. This gives me an idea of what kind of audible noise floor the unit has before I purchase.

12. chris_m

chris_m Active Member

Hey all—
    Just ordered the RR2160, looking forward to integrating with my system. There has been passing mention but no real discussion of external vs internal phono stage. Specifically— I already have a Pro-ject tube box with upgraded (NOS GE mil spec) tubes. I plan to do some a/b testing, but does anyone have any experience/observations on SQ differences running a tube phono stage with the Outlaw?

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  13. ChaosReigns69

ChaosReigns69 Active Member

Hello everyone. Been following this thread since looking into the 2160 a few months ago and pulled the trigger on an open box a few weeks ago and I'm loving this thing. It's replacing an Onkyo A9010 in my office where I started putting together a system for vinyl listening. Still breaking in the 2M Blue on a new Fluance RT85 which sounds better every time switch out albums. The 2160 is now driving the Elac B6's to a total new level. I've yet to hook up a sub as it's just not needed. Will be doing some A/B tests on the internal DAC & phono pre-amp and comparing them with Schiit Modi 3 and Mani that I was using with the A9010, but for the first few weeks of break-in, neither was missed. As others have already mentioned, the phono input is pretty quiet and as for output level, just needs to be turned up a bit more than normal, but the 2160 has the covered with ease. Can't wait to try out the streaming options & adding a little more low end with a sub or two.

RobCos02330 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  14. downtherabbithole

downtherabbithole Active Member

Hi all! New to the forum, but no stranger to the hobby :)

I'm currently running a pretty streamlined, great sounding, and not terribly expensive system:

• Outlaw RR2160
    • ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2's
    • Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB
    • TEAC X-1000
    • Philips DVD963SA DVD / SACD player
    • Audioengine B1
    • various cabling

I've only owned the 2160 for a couple of months, but I gotta say I've been pretty happy with this system, I think it's a phenomenal 'all-'rounder, especially for the investment - there's just not much you can throw at it that doesn't sound pretty darn great.

Like many of us (I'm guessing) I do find myself fiddling around with the Outlaw quite a bit - speaker EQ, tone controls, A/B-ing analog vs digital inputs... and of course speaker placement, etc...

anyhoo - I'm wondering, what settings are you all using? Feel free to elaborate if you're finding certain settings working well with certain material, etc. - for example, boosted highs and lows for aggressive metal, pure 'direct' for jazz, etc...

What are your settings for:

speaker EQ ?
    Treble / Bass ?
    average listening volume ?
    analog in's or using internal DAC ?

very curious to hear where others may be finding that magical sweet spot :cool:

For what it's worth, here's my 'general settings' (again, bear in mind as I said, I tend to fiddle quite a bit)...

For speaker EQ: I started out going all-in at 55 (exciting hearing those ELACS go deeeep) - then after about a week or so of nearly vibrating the fillings out of my teeth, I began to prefer 80 (so much less boomy), yet ultimately I'm now listening most often with speaker EQ switched 'off' - the ELACS (and my room) tend toward fairly warm, and the 'air' is just really nice without any boost.

Treble / Bass: this is a constant battle :rolleyes:... sometimes 'direct', sometime engaged but flat, and sometimes I enjoy it REALLY boosted - 7, 8 or even 9 - both treble and bass. Hey, that's what they're there for, right?

Average listening volume: Usually between -38 and -22, sometimes a 'bit' louder, but generally somewhere in there.

Analog vs. Dig: I go back and forth. The 2160's DAC is pretty darn good, but the audioengine's is also reeeaaaly nice - so I tend to go analog from the B1 for bluetooth/streaming. The Philips, too - I like it's DAC a lot as well, so I usually listen to that analog out too (have to with SACD's), but I do go back and forth there as well.

currently, I'm not running a sub (though I do have a Velodyne on deck, in the event I get the itch)

So, let's hear it - what are your preferences?

jbmcb likes this.
  15. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

Love the 2160. Tried with sub but really did not add much...my klipsch rp 260s go pretty low on own, easily.
    Generally run tone defeated, no speaker eq. That all user preference tho, no right or wrong.
    My only gripe is the DLNA...pretty basic. No flac support which most of my library is. I just use a chromecast audio (toslink) and hifi cast app for DLNA. The CCA used to stream music apps I have also.

16. coolamty

coolamty New Member

Can the Outlaw 2160 be used as a power amp for my fronts in a HT setup? Is there any guidance on the gain settings that I need to set? Also it does not appear to have a "trigger in" so any suggestions on how to switch on by connecting with my AVR? I understand a dedicated power amp will make most sense but wanted to give this a try since I moved to a 5.1 setup from a 2.1 and wanted to use by Outlaw along with my AVR.

17. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Need a little help. I have the Outlaw and I am noticing my old Energy speakers are sounding tinny despite eq adjustments. My twenty year old or older speakers might need being replaced. The Outlaw and phono cartridge upgrade are showing limitations as compared to my other speakers in the basement. I looked at the Legacy speakers on the Morrow page but they seem a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

18. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

I just ordered a 2160 to pair with my vintage (and I do mean vintage) ADS L810's. They sound very fine with my elderly Outlaw 1050...can't wait for the 2160! Ordered all new cables and speaker wire from Monoprice, too--a fresh start all around.

My county had Electronics Recycling Day today. With a little sadness, I dropped off a Sony STRA30DES receiver, a (crap) "RCA Victor" CD-Recorder, (sadly) a 20 year old Nakamichi cassette deck that had been repaired a zillion times and only existed to eat tapes any more--and the 19 inch Sony Trinitron that I bought in Center City Philadelphia in 1979 and brought home on my lap on a SEPTA bus. Made it home safely without being mugged! How dumb was I all those years ago?

19. Sound54

Sound54 New Member

First make sure speakers connected in phase and no odd tone settings(if not already defeated)
    I know basic setup but can still happen!. Other than that would experiment with the treble/bass controls and/or speaker EQ options.
    Note I find the built in phono stage for MM pretty low level, I run an external pro-ject stage..has much more prescence at any given vol level.

Front Row likes this.
  20. xrqp

xrqp Member

I think the tone controls degrade the sound quality noticeably. So I stick with tone bypass. I wish the tone controls were better. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I didn't notice any issues using it on the 2150. I have the bass kicked up a bit.

22. Don Szymansky

Don Szymansky Active Member

Is the remote for the 2160 programmable like the 2150 for other equipment?

23. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Ok need to update my situation. Last night one of my speakers fell from the ceiling. The front panel gave way sending it crashing to the floor. I was informed by the Mrs. to buy new speakers that the Outlaw receiver would compliment. I have a room that is 20 by 24. I can spend $$$$ but not $$$$$. Any recommendations?

24. Don Szymansky

magneplaner

25. Don Szymansky

my 2160 arrived yesterday. hooked up and testing. my mmgs always had good side to side imaging, but the depth i can now hear is amazing. separation of instruments is very clear and defined. look to many hours of pleasant listening. got a b stock and cant tell any difference. perfect in every way. drawing up a deco inspired stand for all equip and records.

ChaosReigns69 likes this.