Outtakes and unreleased songs that should have been on their parent albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The vocal mix of Chaos Panic by YMO, which ended up as the B-Side to Kimi Ni Mune Kyun. Interestingly on Naughty Boys Instrumental, it replaces Kimi, albiet in instrumental form. It's probably their best Pop-era track, IMO, hooky as hell.

I often playlist Naughty Boys (vocal version) with this version from UC YMO replacing Kimi, which makes for a great album.

2. justinlibrarian

justinlibrarian Forum Resident

Can I just quickly toss this B-Side into the ring here? Wings: Daytime Nighttime Suffering

tedg65, skisdlimit, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  3. jpg-ringo

jpg-ringo Active Member

I forgot to say .... without the apple jam lp the 2 lp version can be in a normal gatefold sleeve instead of a box - most people will only have their lps in record sleeves and no box sets
    (obviously on this site there will be plenty of people with large lp collections and lots of box sets)

4. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The Flaming Lips ‘The Captain’ should’ve been on The Soft Bulletin.

Ween should’ve put ‘Kim Smotlz’ on The Mollusk.

And Red Hot Chili Peppers Soul to Squeeze and Sikamechanico should have been on BSSM.

5. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Rocks and Gravel from Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

6. Sonic Youth, Dirty: "Genetix" by Lee Ranaldo was better than most of the Kim & Thurston crap that padded out the last third of the album to double length, but it ultimately got stuck on a b-side. This slight almost pushed Ranaldo to quit the band.

DTK likes this.
  7. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

8. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

1. "Silver Springs" Fleetwood Mac Rumours
    2. "Ride Easy" Asia Asia
    3. "Leave My Kitten Alone" The Beatles Beatles For Sale
    4. "Chuck's Lament" Crosby Stills & Nash Live It Up
    5. "Lying To Myself" Asia Alpha
    6. "Holiday Road" Lindsey Buckingham Law And Order
    7. "Spies Like Us" Paul McCartney Press To Play

Spastica, blueslover99 and The MEZ like this.
  9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Hell, I’d have been happy just to have all of the tracks from The Soft Bulletin on The Soft Bulletin, let alone extras!

I have the correctly sequenced redbook disc from the 5:1 set now, and no-one’s taking it away from me.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Beck - Ship In The Bottle - Sea Change

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Lady's Baby & Alvin

boot off We Were Made For Each Other

The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees

12. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

The Beatles "Norwegian Wood"/Psychedelic Outtake for Rubber Soul and this was recorded before The Byrds "Eight Miles High" and "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Cameron.39 likes this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Elvis Costello

Heathen Town
    The Flirting Kind

(Punch the Clock)

14. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

There's a whole handful of songs on Beatles For Sale that could have been dropped in favour of 'Leave My Kitten Alone'. I'm perplexed as to why it remained in the can, apart from the slightly corny lyrics.

I think the Beatles would have really shaken the music world to pieces in 1965 had the psychedelic early take of 'Norwegian Wood' been issued in lieu of the tamer final version.

I'd also vote that the Kinks' 'Lavender Hill' and 'Rosemary Rose' could have fitted onto the 'Village Green Preservation Society' in exchange for something else. In fact, there's almost an album's worth of great outtakes from those sessions.

The Hollies actually left a psychedelic early take of 'Stop! Stop! Stop!' in the can in late 1966. It had an eastern drone on it behind the banjo and featured vari-speed treated vocals. That would have been a very bold inclusion on their 'For Certain Because...' album in December 1966! It's never been officially released. Much later on, in 1973/4 they recorded a track called 'Tip Of The Iceberg', which could have been a single for them or at the very least on the 1974 self-titled 'Hollies' LP. There was a few re-recordings of earlier tracks on that LP that had been cut with Swedish lead singer Mikael Rickfors while original singer Allan Clarke left briefly to pursue a solo career, all of which pale compared to the recent versions with Mikael Rickfors. 'Tip Of The Iceberg' was a fast-paced shuffle beat track that actually remained in the can until 1997!

15. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Here's a few more. Love story, Christmas song, One for John Gee, Blues for the 18th, Sweet dream, Living in the past, Driving song, Teacher, Witches promise, Wondring again, Up the Pool, For Later, Life is a long song, Nursie, Dr Bogenbroom, Just trying to be, Audition, Left Right, Good Godmother, Glory Row, March the mad scientist, Commercial traveller, Small cigar 2, Salamander Ragtime, Old aces die hard, Living in these hard times 2, Botanic man 1 and 2, Beltane, A stitch in time, Blues instrumental, King Henrys madrigal, Broadford bazaar, I'm your gun, Jackalynn home 1981, Too many Too, Part of the machine, Man of principal, It all trickles down plus more lol

Doctor Flang likes this.
  16. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Let it Rock..Sticky Fingers.

SOONERFAN and The MEZ like this.
  17. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Most B sides from Morrissey should have been placed in his albums.

youngchoulin likes this.
  18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Classifieds should have been on the first Pete Townshend solo album, or Who's Next.

I Pray Ole by Bowie is much better than many of the tracks on Lodger.

If B-sides are under discussion, the first two Suede albums could have been doubles as the b-sides are so good.

It's also criminal that the Kate Bush track Under the Ivy was only a b-side, but it wouldn't have really fit on Hounds of Love, although I'd probably knock Mother Stands for Comfort off to make room!

ziggytvs likes this.
  19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Suspicious Minds recorded at the same time as From Elvis In Memphis but only released, at the time, as a single.

The MEZ likes this.
  20. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I've said it a thousand times before, and I'll say it again. This would've made a much better album opener than "Ballad Of A Well Known Gun"

The MEZ likes this.
  21. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I would also have replaced "No Shoestrings On Louise" with this much more lively tune:

22. EStreetEzraliteLGOTs

EStreetEzraliteLGOTs Active Member

The only way Darkness on the Edge of Town could be better is if it opened with "Iceman".

SOONERFAN and Mr Sam like this.
  23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

It was on the original version of that album when I brought it in the 1980s

24. ranasakawa

Derek and the domino's - mean old world (acoustic version)

25. ranasakawa

There is a brilliant Stones outtake called Don't Know The Reason Why I believe from 1969-1970 that definitely deserved to be put on an album. Unfortunately only a poor cassette dub is available on boots

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.