Overlooked Christmas Music Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BiffJackson, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There is something about "Christmas music on the radio" that I think has roots in another side issue. You think of "radio" as "your radio", you're fine. But, as you begin to realize it as a global/community medium, you become aware that, others are listening to "your" station, so their preferences affect "your" listening experience. So, you know if Montovani is set-aside to play more Mancini (or developing this further, Kelly Clarkson), your access to what you love is diminished/spoiled.

But what good does it get you to become "territorial" over a medium you know is to please "everybody", when you know you have personal access to anything if you are so motivated sufficiently? And that answer, lies somewhere towards "ego".

We want our tastes validated by our peers. Come Christmastime, a whole battalion of people who don't listen to the radio on a regular basis, as much as they listen to their ministers, suddenly find the request line, and the PD starts getting e-mails. And we love this,that people care about the music we play, and they're passionate about it. But, it's not for another airing of Wham's "Last Christmas"...it's for hymns. And Amy Grant. And "Christmas Shoes".

Now this is admittedly, an extreme example. But it's as valid as somebody rooting for their own favorite song getting played on their preferred radio station, even though they have a copy of it on their phone, they could have anytime they want to listen to it. Because it's not just about you hearing it...it's about them wanting everybody else to hear it.

Not making a judgement call about this, just saying, it is a part of the relationship between publicly-shared media and personally-accessed media, and we know it exists. Hell, we use that oueslves, whenever we tell you the chart positions of this song or that artists, telling you how "your" artist or song stacks up with the rest off the audience. Just making you aware, we are aware of its' significance for both you, and the rest of the audience.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Bryan Harris likes this.
  2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Also made on vinyl for a record club and another source that I forget. Meanwhile,BlueNote brought out a 1997 follow-up,Yule Be Boppin'-lots of then-signed BlueNote artists. No vinyl. And still BlueNote never brought out Duke Pearson's 1969 Merry Ole Soul. It ain't Handel's Messiah but far better than the measly two star rating via All Music. Jazz celeste is hard to find. Maybe a reason why? But I've enjoyed this album since I rescued one from a $1.99 bin decades ago. Duke Pearson has yet to get his due for his BlueNote years.

Lewisboogie and Chazzbo13 like this.
  3. Stapani

Stapani Forum Resident

Adding some maybe not so well known kinda new stuff from my collections:
    Marty Stuart 2003 Even Santa Claus Gets The Blues
    Alice Cooper 2008 Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    Steve Lukather 2003 Broken Heart for Christmas
    Carly Simon 2005 Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    Kylie Minogue 2000 Santa Baby
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings 2009 Ain't No Chimneys in the Project

Tony Christie 2007 Merry Xmas Everybody
    Always liked this video :

Aimee Mann 2006 Calling On Mary
    Joan Osborne 2005 Santa Claus Baby
    Refreshments 2003 Rock & Roll X-mas
    Blaze Bailey 2016 Crazy Christmas
    Cyndi Lauper 2016 Hard Candy Christmas
    Kelly Clarkson 2013 4 Carats
    Rod Stewart 2012 Red-Suited Super Man
    Weeping Willows 2014 Merry Christmas Baby

Dave112 likes this.
  4. JohnGoober

JohnGoober Forum Resident

Achingly beautiful, also brilliantly covered by Pelle Carlberg.

jmj190 likes this.
  5. BiffJackson

BiffJackson Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's another good one. Brave Combo's It's Christmas, Man! Bob Dylan borrowed their arrangement of "Must Be Santa" for HIS arrangement.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Shell's Wonderful World of Christmas featuring the Longines Symphonette. Takes me all the way back...

Dave112 likes this.
  7. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Recently acquired these on vinyl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  8. Tim Albertson

Tim Albertson Forum Resident

Bill Mallonee's previous band, Vigilantes of Love - On to Bethlehem.

Chazzbo13 and Mark B. like this.
  9. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Beat me to it!

Put out through Hi-Tide Recordings in NJ. Very cool record label that focuses on surf and lounge artists/music. Love the website and the various album cover art there.

Hi-Tide Recordings "Surf, Lounge & Exotic Sounds"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Bryan Harris and RSteven like this.
  10. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

I discovered the Doris Day Christmas album earlier this year.

[​IMG]

11. rldays

rldays Well-Known Member

12. rldays

rldays Well-Known Member

Kate Rusby has put out several Christmas records and they’re all worth a listen but When Mortals Sleep and Angels and Men are really fantastic recordings and while very festive, the familiar songs are rearranged and there were lots of new to me holiday songs as well.
    One of my favorite tracks from When Mortals Sleep;

13. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Not an album, but one song from Islands

14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just sublime...always gets a play around our house at Xmas....

(NB: Make you get the original version as later re-issues add newly recorded songs and spoil the flow)

danasgoodstuff, Mike24137 and RSteven like this.
  15. JJFlash

JJFlash Forum Resident

16. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

17. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Christmas with the Everly Brothers and the Boys Town Choir (1962) - Phil takes the lead vocal on this one:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  18. Two Sheds

Merry Christmas from Bobby Vee (1962) - 'My Christmas Love'

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Two Sheds

A third Christmas album from 1962 - The Four Seasons Greetings.

20. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

[​IMG]
    Beyond the traditional favs (Charlie Brown, etc) this has become one of my go to's.

noirbar, Binni, Bryan Harris and 2 others like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I really love Ella's A Swinging Christmas as well, but even more under the radar is her almost equally great Ella Fitzgerald's Christmas album from 1967. It features the very understated, yet gorgeous, orchestral and choral arrangements of Ralph Carmichael, well known for his stupendous work on Nat King Cole's definitive holiday album from 1963, The Christmas Song. This album features some of Ella's most delicate and restrained vocals ever, along with her near perfect vocal pitch.

[​IMG]

Noel Patterson and Bryan Harris like this.
  22. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Just got this from VMP, sounds great.

Noel Patterson and RSteven like this.
  23. Anyone have an idea on the best-sounding version of this album? Everything I've heard on CD almost sounds as bad as a needledrop.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The Colbie Callait Christmas album is excellent, full of original fun pop songs. If you like her it's a must buy. I got it a couple years ago and I just played it this week again and love it.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.