Overwhelmed by the amount of music that exists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by statcat, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, I'm overwhelmed by everything other than music. :cry:

2. moops

moops Senior Member

I find it daunting at times, especially with a pretty eclectic taste in music, the amount of music that we have access to these days is crazy. It's impossible to keep up with artists and their releases. An artist as prolific as Ty Segall can release a dozen albums and I've yet to hear one of them ! I've been trying to catch up and grab some hard rock/ metal /stoner ( pick a label !) that has come out over the last couple of years, but the sheer amount of stuff around is staggering ! The fact that you can try before you buy be it through youtube or Bandcamp is a Godsend though. :help:

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yep,completely overwhelmed but I put it on myself. Got the taste or the thrill of the hunt for vinyl 6 or 7 years ago and I went whole hog bringing home thousands of used LP's mostly but some 78 and 45's too. 90% on the cheap, $1 or less, along with a lot that people gave me free. It was fun but now I feel pressured to get thru all this stuff and on to the next thing. I have listened to nearly everything once and got educated on a lot of Jazz/Soul/R&B/Blues/Celtic and sampled many other genres along the way. The various threads on this forum, the 1000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die book, best of lists, youtube,friends recommendations,etc..has really helped and kept me busy. Fell into the Music Matters Blue Note Jazz hole and glad I did. That seems to be my re-focus...selling/trading/donating hundreds of LP's towards the few best quality classics by MM/AP,etc.....vinyl compacting I guess. I'll never hear it all but I'm tryin';)

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Nope. Never had any pretensions to hearing it all, or even knowing of its existence. There are other things in life.

Hermes, DPK and Fender Relic like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't think of it as "too much music", so much as, "too many people counting on becoming successful in music" to sustain themselves.

Also, even after growing up with a sister 4 years older (meaning I could see teen music trends coming from a mile away), and 35 years in radio, and seeing how a casual music lover "uses" his music in real life...I'm more surprised than I should be, at how much CRAP there is passing itself off as music.

6. Carl Swanson

I'm sure plenty of people feel the same way about stuff you like.

There is no objective standard.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I buy records and listen to them right away, so I’m not overwhelmed, but I get it...there’s just so much.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Yes, but not being able to judge quality, musicianship, recording ability and innovation in perspective is not the same thing as just pointing at somebody else's music you don't enjoy, and calling it "crap". I'm referring to music that gets a push due to its' label hoping for more gold falling from the sky, despite the lack of planning, passion or execution - in other words, music that NObody thinks was worth the effort, whether that lack of diligence is lost on a public not taught musicianship or not.

People in their own industries are usually pretty smart at recognizing lackluster effort going into a project, be it from their own company or not. Luckily for us, there are plenty of these observant watchers whose careers do not immediately hinge on whether somebody got a hit *with a bullet!!!*, to be able to judge a recorded work on its' own merit.

There may not be an objective standard on which cute singers' hair makes a teen's butt shake in the most effective manner to encourage her peers to do the same. But, yes, there are some quantifiable differences between Mozart and Salieri, if one applies himself to the task of learning the craft, and then observing the art therein.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have listened to everything that I have in my collection but still there is far far more music out there in the world that I'll ever be able to touch. Even if I focus, and I do, on specific areas of interest its too much to be able to cover or grasp. Whats important is there is enough music for my interest.

10. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Its overwhelming for sure. I could never afford or have the room to buy all the music I'd like.

11. Carl Swanson

Just because people come to different conclusions does not mean that they have no judgement, or are mental defectives.

12. Dillydipper

As usual, I don't know what you're talking about...because as usual, it doesn't so much speak directly to what I'm discussing, as it just distracts the thread to punish me for not following your worldview.

Please go back and carefully re-read all the problems you have found with every opinion of mine you have poked at within the past three weeks...and if you have anything of value to offer that will change our relationship in a positive manor...take it into a PM where we don't have to bore the rest of the class with it.

13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've never owned a record I haven't listened to and everything I have I've kept because I really enjoy them to a greater or lesser degree. I don't consume and keep stuff I don't enjoy. Being able to sample records on the internet allows me to only purchase things I know I want to keep and enjoy. I don't want the clutter and waste of unwanted stuff.

Each year humans consume what the earth provides in the way of resources before the year is up. There's a term for this called "Earth Overshoot Day". Last year that day fell on August 2nd. As it does every year, this year it will arrive earlier.

14. When you have 5652 albums, it can be overwhelming. I can only imagine the other music I haven't heard would wash me away like a Tsunami.

15. Carl Swanson

What relationship?

(That should be the end of it . . . )

16. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I'm not, but my wallet is. :sigh:

mcchocchoc likes this.
  17. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

One thing I've noticed is that is that I by far by listened to the most amount of music in high school and college, which is probably no different On average, I was probably dedicating at least 3-4+ hours of each day towards discovering and listening to music. Then into my rest of my twenties I probably still kept that schedule. But in my 30s I've been lucky to listen even an hour or two per week and even that little time is with distractions.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  18. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Out of curiosity
    What is the point of collecting records?

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't find it overwhelming, especially if you're a bit of a snob like I am.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I find my self still listening to all the music I've listened to throughout my life...never gave up on any of it...can't imagine a day without it.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's a disease....a healthy one unless it turns into a non listening habit.

22. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have spent the past 2-3 years "catching up" on the music I have not bought (due to work and family and $ etc) for about 10-15 years. The collection has recently grown considerably and expanded even more due to this forum. I'm not a completist (save for albums by artists I really like) but what has driven me is the realisation that quite a bit of what I always said I would buy one day is going out of print etc. and the physical music collection that I always wanted is getting harder to obtain. I'm not a downloader. I have two rules - every SACD/CD I buy is ripped before I listen to it. Every CD or LP is listened to before I file it away. I still have a large "to listen" pile of about 30 albums (CD and LP) and 5 or 6 box sets from a trip to Japan and numerous bulk purchases but the rate of acquisition is now dropping off. I can now say "I know what I like and have most of it." I just need to start listening to it! So, not too much music- just not enough time.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Kevin55 likes this.
  23. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Totally agree. There must be a lesson in that somewhere...if only I had the time to think on it.

lightbulb likes this.
  24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Nope. I've listened to everything I own many many times.

25. I haven't even made it halfway through the Youtube highlight reels of live performances by my favorite artists and bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.