Owned physical media and/or downloaded music vs streaming services.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Price.pittsburgh, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Agree about vinyl but that time frame for cds feels long to me. I think within three years the overwhelming majority of acts in whatever chart you read - including Country - won't have a cd option, and by five years they're gone.

bherbert and AmosM like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know streaming isn't going away, but for what I want to have available to listen to may not be there on Tidal. Already, i'm noticing lots of things it doesn't have compared to the download vendors or my own collection. Tidal also doesn't tend to have many compilations.

3. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Why limit yourself to Tidal?

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's $19.99/mo?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, when Quiboz debuts in October, they will also (supposedly) have hi-rez streaming. Who knows if it will be cheaper? It may have the same, or larger catalogs. Doesn't really matter. I want it for buying downloads.

6. That's doubtful. CDs will have a few more years mostly due to the other things played on optical drives, movies. The studios plan to keep UHD alive for at least five more years, which helps keep the entire physical media ecosystem alive. This forum sometimes paints an inaccurate portrait of current music consumption. You have the vinyl lovers and high-end people that have gone to digital streaming solutions, but there's still a middle market probably not captured by this forum's userbase.

Running off 1000 CDs costs virtually nothing, even for small-time acts. Any musician whose fans are primarily over 40 will continue to issue CDs over the coming decade, albeit in reduced numbers. I do expect certain genres of new music to more or less abandon CD fairly soon, mostly because their target audience is all under 20.

7. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

This makes sense. Also, as a previous poster mentions, streaming might not be ready yet in all countries and that would support an extended CD market, too, perhaps.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Imo it's more like the over 50 or 55 crowd,.

Anecdotal : was a local outdoor event yesterday, local band with a demographic of my age / older. Band did the usual CD sales pitch although the made it a point to mention streaming / iTunes also. My wife actually turned to me as she realized she had no easy way to listen to a CD anymore (of course I could rip it for her, but she meant those portable CD boomboxes that used to be ubiquitous and have been replaced with phones and BT speakers now).

I think my generation is around the cutoff point as we were the video console and early PC generation here in the US, and most people I deal with simply don't buy CD's anymore, it's been iTunes for a decade now and since Apple's migration to Apple Music it's essentially been replaced with streaming. Especially as unlimited data plans drop in price.

Interesting to watch all this in real time and wonder where things will be in three to five years time.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My own guess is that many bands will still have limited runs, not unlike what happens with vinyl releases.

I don't think we'll see the format disappear completely for many artists, especially the older demographic. But I could certainly see it disappear for "tween" bands.

melstapler and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

New streamer here and it’s great. Any music you want on demand. I’m tired of collecting and spending a lot of money on physical media and cd’s. I’ll only buy specific things that aren’t on streaming sites like the Beatles In Mono. Otherwise I’m happy to have Apple Music as it’s a steal at $5 a month.

bpmd1962 and INSW like this.
  11. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I believe that is a student price, no? Otherwise $9.95 a month - not so great.

12. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

South African monthly fee.

13. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

In my 30s and people in my age range laugh at the very mention of cds now. From what I've gathered, most people my age are listening to music from their phone, streaming or straight off of Youtube. I was part of the iPod generation and the days of people walking around with portable cd players or driving around with a visor full of cds in the car is something that mostly disappeared in the early 2000s. The demographic browsing the used bins these days appears to be mostly over 50 males. The vinyl bins have started to skew towards older males as well and more in tune with the demographics I remember when collecting in college a little over a decade ago. Most releases now are just too expensive for the average person - $19.99 is pretty much considered a 'budget' starting price these days for even a mainstream album on a major studio label whereas specialty/boutique releases can be double or triple etc in price.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    bherbert and INSW like this.
  14. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

brownie61 and Jerry Horne like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Once I downloaded all my CDs to iTunes and sold them off, I felt totally liberated. Its all about the music for me, not the jewel case.

INSW likes this.
  18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

And the crappy quality too?

I don't feel the need to be a slave to Apple and their hosted server crap that can vanish in the wink of an eye along with the inferior hard drives that are magnet driven. NO THANKS!

19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've become more accustomed to streaming since that last post of mine and the convenience certainly is nice. That being said, even though I stream on Apple now and have all my cds on iTunes too, I love my cd collection, especially the box sets.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I’m seeing more “eco-jackets” on those limited runs. Essentially cardboard envelopes not unlike vinyl record jackets, but matte surface and kind of minimal-looking. At least there’s no plastic to break.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My inferior magnet driven [sic] drives have served me well for over twenty years. :crazy:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Was I responding to you? How about we just ignore each other considering our history? You enjoy those sector errors all you want.

P.S.

DRIVEN
    ˈdrivən/

1. 1.
      past participle of drive.
    adjective
    suffix: -driven; adjective: driven
    1. 1.
      operated, moved, or controlled by a specified person or SOURCE OF POWER.
    The word (set of words) was used correctly so why the "sic"?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  23. no.nine, genesim and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yep, for me, the only need for streaming somebody else's library, is the same reason you used to borrow LP's from your public library back in tha day: try out stuff you might want to end up buying for yourself.

Remember, no matter how many months of how-ever-little-charges you pay to stay on the service...this is all created to satisfy the media's fondest fever-dream: you not owning something you pay them for.
    Look around you, in video, film, software, books, and music, naturally: all they have ever wanted, was to get you to give them money, and not give you the thing you "bought", but only get to hold it in your hands until they say no.
    That, and to clone Michael Jackson, Francis Ford Coppola, Steven King, Steve Jobs and JJ Abrams.

I just looked down in the basement, over in the store room, behind me in this office, and all around me I see music which I gladly paid for...and they can never take away from me.
    They can't even stop me from replacing my disc players., because I buy them from somebody else.

I win. It's all mine. :wiggle:

Kyhl, no.nine, Grant and 4 others like this.
  25. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I couldn't have said it any better than that.

genesim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.