Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This show looks like it was filmed in BC. If there's any changes with tax regulations like what happened in Florida that affected Bloodline they can film here.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  2. From what I've read it was filmed mostly in Georgia. A shame really, as IMO GA doesn't due justice to the beauty of the Ozark area (at least as filmed in the show).

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've watched the first three episodes, and while it takes awhile to get going, it's a good solid show with a lot of twists and turns, along with some very good acting. It's clear to me it's a variation of a theme on Breaking Bad, but it's pretty well done.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Many of the characters are similiar to ones from Justified. Most of the Ozark locals remind me of someone from that show. And the FBI guy is similiar the deranged FBI agent in one of the seasons of Sons Of Anarchy.

psubliminal, GodShifter and Vidiot like this.
  5. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Great show. I was a little concerned about what the writers might do with the kid characters. With some other shows the story lines around the kids can be just infuriating but I'd say they got it right with this one. I also found the use of music to be done exceptionally well too. Come on season 2!

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

OMFG

Vidiot likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really liked this despite some minor quibbles with the plot. Overall, very entertaining series and a great job by J. Bateman carrying the show. I'd love to see a season two. Btw, fans of "Quarry" should watch this if they liked Peter Mullan's character from that. He's reborn as essentially the same guy in this and he's great.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Really getting into this show. We always knew Jason Bateman could act, but he takes it to a whole new level here. In my opinion only marginally reminiscent of Breaking Bad (Marty has pretty much broken out of the gate here), and Laura Linney is kind of a badass. The show does get moving fairly quickly, and it's taking a lot of will power not to binge it all at once. Maybe the best new Netflix drama (not including any of the Defenders) since season one of Bloodline.

enro99, Yovra and Brenald79 like this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I agree this best new Netflix crime show since Narcos and Bloodline. Julia Garner who plays Ruth (and Kimmy on the Americans) is such a cuty.

Yovra likes this.
  10. Watched the last episode of Season One last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Scope J likes this.
  11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Stepped in without many expectations...and I'm pleasantly surprised! Far more thrilling than the higher profile "Gypsy" and it even improves on the latest series of "Fargo" in my opinion! It's not trying to be anything else but a thriller series with unexpected black humour and believable characters.

12. I liked the season. I hope it gets renewed.

GodShifter and Scope J like this.
  13. Granted I've only seen the first three episodes, but I wasn't buying it. I've never seen or known of anybody who remained that calm during such extraordinary events like Marty. Perhaps Neil Armstrong, with a heart rate of 70bpms during both exercise and rest? Marty got my explosive on the delivery people leaving his furniture on the lawn than he did watching his wife getting it on with that attorney...or even watching said attorney fall to his death.

That said, after 3 episodes Marty is now my hero because he can stay so calm! Maybe some people are just wired that way. I want to be more wired that way!

I don't know if he loses it later in the season, but if he does, he probably deserves a breakdown, or a tantrum, or whatever, for all of the zen he had going on.

Great acting, too. Maybe not the daughter, but Marty, wife and son, yes.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. My expectations were low going into this...but wow were they exceeded. I absolutely LOVED Ozark.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Finally finished it over the weekend and loved every minute of it. I'm surprised that quite a few people disliked the climactic episode: I thought it was great and not only wrapped up their current story, they set up dozens of events to come in a second season. Fantastic show, full of head-turning surprises.

Important safety tip: do not call a millionaire heroin grower a "redneck" when you're in their house.

Don't forget there was one scene where Marty loses control and sobs hysterically for a few minutes, when he headed out alone to the woods during their car trip. It was one of the rare moments where he broke the facade and actually revealed to the audience that even a calm control-freak guy like this does have a breaking point.

I don't know if it's just me, but I was ready to smack his wife several times (virtually) throughout the series. I absolutely do not condone violence towards women, but she wins the **** of the year award for TV, as far as I'm concerned. (You can fill that in with the 4-letter word of your choice -- there's several that are applicable.)

16. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I finished season 1 and really liked it. Based on the positive buzz, I would be very surprised if it doesn't get a 2nd season.

One minor question on the money laundering thing. As I understand it, the whole idea is to fake income/revenue to make illegal money appear to come from legitimate sources. A big part of Marty's scheme seemed to be tied up in expenses such as inflating improvements and construction costs for his various businesses. How does that help? Money is flowing in the wrong direction. Wouldn't that make his problem even worse?

17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Watched it. Loved it.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]
    They get a 20% tax credit shooting in Georgia, as do 35 other shows shooting there this year.

seacliffe301, enro99 and Brenald79 like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

20. So, I only have 3 more episodes to watch. I find this show amazing. It really is a quality watch. Any criticisms I would have are very small, so I won't even go there.

Bateman. I guess I had seen him over the years, but I didn't realize his career was fairly prolific. He does a really good job in Ozark.

I'm glad to see it get renewed.

Scope J likes this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just watched episode 1 last night. My daughter heard about the show from someone where she works. Both of us thought it was pretty good and plan to continue watching more episodes.

Scope J likes this.
  22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

W just started watching it at the recommendation of a friend~ mentioned it to my wife, who said two of her friends had also recommended it. I'm digging it so far. I like the fact that the protagonist is a milquetoasty seeming guy who has more to him than appears. L. Linney is a pretty good actress too.

Scope J likes this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Great show, although there were a few scenes I could gladly do with out that were fairly yucky.

anti PC. likes this.
  24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

My daughter and I binge watched several more episodes over the weekend. I think we have 3-4 more to go to finish season 1. We are definitely hooked. It will be a loooonnnng wait until season 2.

25. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I just finished the season (I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to take their time). This will be the show to recommend to those who like Breaking Bad more than just about any other show, ever, even if the quality isn't quite BB level, but it's up there. There's so much content out there it was amazing I actually discovered it, but I'm so glad I did. It really came out of nowhere, notwithstanding the excellent pedigree of the cast.
    No spoilers here, but the last episode had some of the most striking sequences I've seen on a drama in a long time, and there is one scene, and those who've finished the show will know which one, that is the biggest fakeout ever. I mean as dark as a TV show can go.
    It would be great if this show could get some awards love, but I don't think it is high profile enough, especially coming out in the summer, and Netflix could have done a much better job promoting it. I'm glad it's getting a second season, I just hope Netflix will let us know in advance when. I will now take it to spoilerville with some questions/comments.
    First off, about that scene: Who here thought the reverend had every intention of killing his child, but then thought better of it and changed his mind, as opposed to simply wanting to baptize him and keeping him under an inordinate amount of time (17 seconds)? And that is the plumpest newborn baby I've ever seen (this is something TV cannot ever get right). There is an opinion out there that Grace had the kid and ran off, although this seems unlikely.
    Did Del really have to die? That seemed unnecessary.
    I don't know how much of the Snells I can take, especially Darlene.
    What made Rachel so suspicious of that one cabin? Did she see the Byrdes there that night? And why tap on the walls? She also has to know she can't spend that money.
    So Martin has fake ID's made up for the family well in advance, with the idea ultimately that they will never be safe. Yet they go back to the house at the end. I'm not gonna lie, I welled up a little when they reunited, but still-not safe. I guess Martin's thought process was that with Del dead they would somehow blame that on him, yet he's proposed a plan to allow them to launder money, which I would think would make the cartel look upon him favorably. From the cartel's point of view Del's death is the cost of doing business? Se la vie.
    I knew from the minute we saw Buddy he was going to save the family somehow. I was also sure he would ultimately not survive. Happy he made it.
    How did the cops not hear the gunshots coming from the Snells' house?
    I'm going to taking extra care when clipping my toenails.
    This was an awesome show, one of the best dramas of the year so far. Can't wait for season two.