Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Haven’t got to that part yet, was guessing lol.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I haven’t even got to the episode yet where she spikes the H.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I deleted my post, because I really just don't care enough to continue.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ve started a game (which is fun for me) to count the number of times Jason Bateman uses “okay” in a line of dialogue in a particular episode. I award myself a phantom $100 for every time he says it. Through four episodes I have roughly $5,600. Very lazy dialogue in the show. Resorting to “okay” or “alright” after a line of dialogue reeks of winging it.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've heard it said that "Acting is reacting." Bateman spends much of his screen time reacting and Marty keeps his cards close to his vest.

mmars982 likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen the whole thing now and I thought S2 was very disappointing. The whole structure was rather basic in that they set up a sequential sequence of obstacles that were overcome one by one before going on to the next thing. It didn't feel like an escalating sense of dread, just one thing after another.

What really weighed things down, all season long, was the dreadful Charlotte plotline, especially in the last few eps of the season where things should have really been ramping up. Also got tired of the number of times Marty and Wendy did things in isolation and opined 'why didn't you tell me', after having declared 'full transparency' by one and all.

I'd give it a 6/10. I don't think it deserves another season, even though it seems to have been set up for one.

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Three episodes into S2 and it is okay, however seems to lack the ongoing suspense of S1.

Good advice from Godshifter, Gonna play the "okay" game as well.

turnersmemo likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm half way through season 2, and once again after almost giving up, it has me hooked. There's no real good guys in this show, but I definitely want to know what happens to them all.

snowman872 likes this.
  9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Yep, just when I though I was out.....gonna start episode 7.

4, 5 and 6 were great. I wanna see Ruth and her daddy get revenge!!

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Ruth yells too much. How many times does she need to yell "what the f--k are you doing!!!"

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Could be another drinking game while watching the show.

12. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Good points here. I have about two episodes to go, and to me, the second season has taken on a very "broadcast network" feel to it... That is, it comes across as, "What new problem will arise and how will that crazy family get out of this one?" It's a bit like "Mission Impossible" now.

The introduction of the "Roy Petty's mother as heroin addict" subplot seemed so tacked on and forced.

That said, the second season is very much about the evolution of Wendy as prime manipulator and puppet master. One of the high points for me has been Jason Bateman's continued stellar acting.

turnersmemo, Jack Lord and vegafleet like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

S2 did not hold up as well as S1.

I'd say a 6/10 rating is about right. I just had some problems with a lot of the motivations of the characters and Bateman seemed to sleepwalking throughout the series. It was almost like he didn't want to be doing the show was contractually obligated. Of course, Marty Byrde has always been a cool customer, but he just seemed almost absolutely detached and alien this season. I also agree the Charlotte plot line was really dull.

I found it a bit of a stretch that Buddy would just happen to be connected to organized crime in his past life in Detroit. Oh, well.

The series lost a couple of important actors this season and brought back ones that probably didn't need to return other than the old "we're putting the band back together" type vibe. I see another season in the works, but I think it's probably time they pull the plug on this one. I think pretty much all has been done that could be without it becoming repetitive and same old same old.

By the way, who couldn't see the Mason's baby/Darlene wanting to adopt plot line coming from a mile away?

turnersmemo, SomeCallMeTim and Deesky like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The one I kept waiting for was Ruth offing her trailer trash father. His character had to go as he was written as too dumb to live, and Ruth seemed the most likely to do it, until...
    You know, I completely agreed with your post until you mentioned the bolded part. Bateman is an excellent actor, but his performance in S2 was sub-par. He might have had one or two good monologues, but overall, he sleepwalked through the season.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Two episodes in on the second season. Not enjoying the direction being taken. Situations and plotlines that other shows would mine for weeks appear and get solved in half an episode. The old man just happening to be best buds with the Kansas City mob might be my tipping point. The Snells, the Cartel, prison dad and now super rich politcos are being played so arch its bordering on cartooney .

Still like the actors a bunch so I'll finish up the rest of the season.

16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Gotta agree here.

When Buddy called in his connection to Cosgrove, I turned to the wife and asked, "Was his KC mob connection ever mentioned previously in either season?" It seemed so crucial to be random.

17. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Random is a perfect summation.

What kind of international drug cartel lets their high ranking men (Del, Garcia) get executed with no repercussions? The Snells and Marty have this much hand?

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ve seen all of S2 now and I’d give it a 5 or 6/10 and won’t be recommending it. There’s too many recent crime-dramas that are much better. This week alone I’ve seen weekly episodes of 5 different shows that are much better that this. Similar to S1, throughout the season I’m thinking of how parts remind me too much of other shows such as Justified and Bloodline. This season the writers turned Mrs. Snell into more of a copy of Mags from Justified.
    Not only does she spike the H, she also even spikes a drink to kill someone just like Mags does in Justified!? Was waiting all season for her. Too predictable.

19. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Quick question here for clarity -- When Marty tells the Snells that the cartel will demand some sort of revenge for the murder of Del, Jacob Snell murders Asch to cover for his wife's action, the cartel crew heads up to the Snell's residence, and then -- behind the scenes -- Jacob says to the cartel, "Yeah, it was this guy right here that killed Del, but we've killed him for you, so everything is good, right?" And then the cartel replied, "Yeah, that's cool." or some such such. Was that how, in a sense, the viewer is to believe that scenario was resolved?

I just want to ensure I didn't miss anything crucial.

turnersmemo likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Seems plausible as it was Ash who was caught using Del’s credit cards in Chicago on surveillance video.

21. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

But Marty also told the lawyer that the Snells killed Del because he said something offensive to which her reply was "Yep, Del will do that". So weirdly blase.

22. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Did I miss something or did the writers completely forget about the break-in at the funeral home? I don't remember there being any investigation or even mention of it after it happened.

vegafleet, RK2249 and GodShifter like this.
  23. Laura Linney is ugly? What planet?

vegafleet and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Completely glossed over. It was never addressed at all.

vegafleet and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mine. Deal with it.