Ozric Tentacles - new box set arriving in January 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Valen2260, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those of you who enjoy the spaced out bliss of the Ozrics, Kscope have just announced a new box set for 14 January.

This will include Ed Wynne's remasters for the Pungent, Erpland, Strangeitude and Jurassic albums, along with the live Underslunky album. The remasters were done for the vinyl editions and have been available as downloads via Bandcamp, and I can attest that these are a nice improvement on the previous masters used for the existing cds.

The set also comes with a rarities disc, a dvd, and an eighty page book approved and contributed to by all previous members. I'm on the band's FB page and the book has been the subject of a lot of anticipation, as the author (also on the group) is clearly a fan who knows the band members well, so everyone's cool with the contents.

You can pre-order from Burning Shed here: Travelling The Great Circle: Pungent Effulgent to Jurassic Shift (burningshed.com)

The official blurb is below:

A 7 Disc boxset showcasing a band in the ascent and at its most inspired.

Alongside the first four official studio albums released by Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Strangeitude and Jurassic Shift - and Live Underslunky, Travelling The Great Circle offers a collection of rare content from band members old and new, personal artefacts from close associates of the band, and new Erpmen drawn by Ed Wynne.

The 80-page Hardback Book Edition also features liner notes by Dominic Blake, rare photographs and hard to find audio and visual material.

The bonus disc Demos & Rarities was hand-picked and remastered by Ed Wynne

This edition also includes a DVD featuring the band at the height of their powers, performing to a sold out crowd at Brixton’s Fridge in 1991, along with various TV appearances from the era.

KAJ1971 and Uncle_Meat like this.
  2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is WONDERFUL NEWS

The best Ozric Tentacles era remastered
    Curious about the Brixton DVD

That gig has been available for ages in really low quality

3. This is very interesting. Thanks for posting.

4. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

Nice boxset; I love this period of the Ozrics! My first encounter with them was with Erpland. Great cosmic energy.

MC Rag likes this.
  5. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I have the original Erpland CD, haven't had the time to dig further into their catalogue, but great they get some recognition in terms of remasters!

MC Rag and GRompre68 like this.
  6. Valen2260

7. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Thanks for the review. I don't really need the audio as I'm happy to stick with my original CDs, Cassettes and Vinyl. I'd love to get hold of a copy of the book though, I wonder if that's would ever get a release on its own. Here's hoping!

8. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Only have an original Erpland cd
    Perfect box set to get all the good early stuff in one go it seems.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Anyone listen to this yet?

10. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Meh. Received the box from jpc.de today I thought. But they send a similar looking box set by Paradise Lost by mistake.

11. Valen2260

Check my review, tagged a few posts earlier in this thread. The link will take you to my analysis of the audio compared to previous editions.

noname74 likes this.
  12. noname74

Thanks..somehow I missed the link.

13. gershbec

gershbec Forum Resident

Kind of strange that up until today this was listed on many retail sites (Amazon, DeepDiscount, ImportCDs). Today I can only find it on Burning Shed. Wonder what happened.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I was lucky enough to get it from Amazon.co.uk for a total of $90.00 US shipped via DHL Express (2 day delivery). It was only 49.99 pounds with 11.87 pounds shipping. I see it is way more expensive now on Amazon.co.uk.

I was going to order from ImportCDs since they had it for $71.99, but it went on back-order immediately and they never got stock (that I am aware of). Amazon in the US was a bit more expensive at $119.00, so I was going to order on release day which at Amazon.co.uk was 1/28/22. I checked that morning and it was IN STOCK for that price I indicated earlier shipped to the US via upgraded express shipping. Burning Shed would have cost more, but I was prepared to order at Burning Shed if Amazon.co.uk didn't come through.

Actually I see the box is IN STOCK at Amazon.com right now, but for $138.99 (from a 3rd party seller).

15. noname74

The 49.99 pounds sale was from seller “vinylhead” (fulfilled by Amazon) and is actually Snapper Music who was distributing the box. I got in on that as well before they sold out and it should arrive on Monday.

MikeT likes this.
  16. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident

Resurrecting this thread from earlier in the year..

So you may have seen my thread complaining that two of my original DOVETAIL CDs had deteriorated to the point where they are un-listenable..

Well, both of those CD's are in this Box set and have been remastered! I do already have Strangeitude and Jurassic albums, but they are also the original releases on good ole' Dovetail - so I am unsure if they will eventually self-destruct as well..! Also I already have the live Underslunky album as well, making this Box Set having 3 CD's that I already have..

However, I can now get it for a bit over $70 delivered, which is slightly over double the price of simply replacing the first two CDs (Erpland & Punget Effulgent), so I figured what-the-heck, just do it...!

Cheers

Baidur and nostromo53 like this.