Ozzy Osbourne vinyl box set due November 19

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Aug 23, 2019.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You clearly haven't heard the 2011 CD reissues of "Blizzard" or "Diary." It seems likely the vinyl would be the same for those as the 2011 LP's, which I haven't heard, but the digital masters are dreadful.

But for the stuff from Ozzmosis on, it's significant whether they cut from the compressed digital master or go back to the original flat master tape.

iloveguitars and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

you would be correct - I have not, least not to my knowledge
    it's Ozzy - I'm happy with it the way it was
    my "Blizzard of Oz" is a first pressing - wouldn't want it any other way
    (bought that record used like 20 years ago for "Mr. Crowley" : - ) for like 3 or 4 whole dollars! - a lot when you're 10!
    I have "Ozzmosis" on CD - I also think that's the most recent thing I own from Ozzy

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Nah, it's because Ozzy hates it. He was essentially forced to release it because Arden wanted to counter Sabbath's Live Evil, and the situation led to Ozzy falling out with Randy Rhoads shortly before Rhoads' death, since Rhoads didn't want anything to do with recording an album of Sabbath covers. The whole thing was a disaster, and it contributed to one of Ozzy's worst periods of substance abuse.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

$500??????????????????????

Don't tell me the Record revival isn't doing well!

Imagine70 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought his albums up to No More Tears were good to great. After that pretty much a stream of awful releases.

I don’t doubt he hates SOTD, then again I remember him saying he hates The Ultimate Sin but here it is included.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Michael Chavez

"The Ultimate Sin" was surrounded with litigation - bummer - lot of alleged stories and reasons but the bottom line appears to have been legal issues

and as is with all things the Oz Man & Co., let's never discount the possibility of hype

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I love Speak of the Devil, sounds better than Black Sabbath, better recorded at least.

8. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Ozzy said on his sirus show that he would love a ultimate sin remaster that the mastering on that wasnt to his liking.
    maybe this is the remaster he wanted, mentioned the guitars and drums just werent brought up enough on the master.

Sean, Matthew Tate and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  9. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

QUOTE: "No More Tears" was remastered from the original flat analog album masters and is offered as a two-LP set which will allow the album's songs to be uncompressed for the very first time ever on vinyl.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but "remastered from" and "remastered AND CUT from" are two very different things. The original CD has great dynamics, if this was AAA then I'd be very excited but without quizzing whomever wrote this marketing blurb to see if they understand what "uncompressed" means (like were previous vinyl releases cut from mp3 or were there none?), I'm skeptical of the final product.

Hopefully more tech specs are forthcoming. I really like this album a lot.

Sean, iloveguitars and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Wasn't this a D>A>D? Well the last step was to compact disc. But I figured this was originally recorded to digital.

GentleSenator and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’m that one guy that likes SOTD....

Edit: looks like there is 2 of us!

artfromtex, Sean, Efus and 2 others like this.
  12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'd like to have Live at Budokan on vinyl. I picked that CD up from the bargain bin at Walmart for like $4, not knowing it was censured, but man that CD rocks. The first 5 or 6 songs are just hardcore. I love it.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Make it three, babyyy!!! Cuz, Speak of the Devil smokes!! :righton:

artfromtex, Sean, Efus and 3 others like this.
  14. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

When I was a kid (and a huge OZZY fan) I had SOTD on vinyl, cassette, CD and...........8 track. I was a member of Columbia House and I also kinda dug that album.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who knows, maybe Sharon had all of Jake’s guitar parts re-recorded? ;)

16. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

I want this, just not sure I can shell out 5 hundy for it. If I can get it for $400 I’d probably pull the trigger. Gonna wait and see...

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Call me crazy but I think this set looks intriguing. I think the packaging looks outstanding and I always love it when hand signed pieces are included.

I’d like to know more like how limited, sources, mastering engineer, pressing plant....Will it only be available from his store or will Amazon have it? I don’t know. Too many questions at the moment to preorder something this pricey.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

yeah if these are the re-recorded versions i am out.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

should be the 2011 original mixes

20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I think the packaging looks super tacky. I’ve never been a huge Ozzy solo fan. I love his Sabbath years, even 13. But his solo stuff is hit or miss to me.

Regardless, that bone turntable is like some crappy yard decoration you’d find at Spirit Halloween.

21. Michael Chavez

+1

22. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I think Ultimate Sin is his best solo album...not a weak track on it, and Jake is a monster on that LP (IMHO)!!!

cageyc, spacedyed, bru87tr and 8 others like this.
  23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'd be in for good sounding vinyl reissues of sin rest and tears. Pass on the rest on and just say Ozzy too !

bru87tr and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

I’m a sucker. I pulled the trigger. My birthday is November 21st so talked the wife into a portion of this being my birthday and I’ll cover the rest with birthdays funds from family hopefully.
    I somehow feel dirty for spending that kind of money on this but I’m a sucker for Ozzy/Sabbath.

Sean, Juggsnelson, c-eling and 5 others like this.
  25. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

You're dirty.

fitzchris72 likes this.