Ozzy Osbourne vinyl box set due November 19

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

If they’re smart they should release the box with 2 LP’s like the maiden set, then leave you to collect the rest.

Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Yeah I'm starting to think I'm going to wait and see as well. I have all the original pressings except No More Tears and some of the newer ones that were never on vinyl and I doubt there will be much improvement sonically on the old albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. No Sleep Till Download

No Sleep Till Download Forum Resident

Sharing the concerns raised. Almost got burned with the Motley Crue box set, more badly pressed albums than good and had to get a refund. The Ten Year War I was able to get replacements for the poor quality pressings from Pledge but only due to sheer persistence that had them opening boxes they were keeping for archive and corporate gifts. Took four copies before I got a flat Black Sabbath, even thought the original was perfectly flat but has the Paranoid label on it so have five copies . Only box set I have that was flawless is Def Leppards Volume 1 set which is pure goodness in a box.
    Also for that money, I wanna know what they are being cut from.

4. Doctorphibes

Doctorphibes New Member

So, I'm guessing they bill when it ships? Is that how you're planning on having the funds in Nov.?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Does the Ozzy camp ever put out special promo discount codes, or anything similar?? I always see the space for a code in the checkout section, but have no idea where I could find one! lol.

Sean, Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

You might have seen it already, but they had one the other day "ozzy25" for 25% off.
    Didn't work for the box set, could only be applied to t-shirts, mugs, etc.

I think this box set is more for a collectible as opposed for sound quality.
    Why do they only offer the vinyl as splattered, why not black or solid color?

I've had bad luck with splattered vinyl. One being Alice Cooper "Along Came A Spider."
    Just got Dio "Strange Highways". The sticker said on purple vinyl, so I'm thinking solid color.
    Open it up, it's splattered. Plays like a record you get from Goodwill with no sleeve.
    Disappointing.

Matthew Tate and theshape like this.
  7. Drumskull

Drumskull New Member

Not a sucker, I'm buying , what was total cost, shipping /tax? Thanx

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

btw, why couldn't the mr crowley ep be released n the 30th anniversary sets but it can be released now? o_O

sandimascharvel likes this.
  9. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have a birthday in late October and haven’t ruled out doing the same. I grew up in the midst of the Ozzy hey day and I’m in awe of Randy Rhoads. I wish we knew more about the particulars, mastering engineer, pressing plant...

It is a big price to swallow but if this is well done I will want it for sure. I suppose I should look into the Ozzy store’s return policy just in case.

Matthew Tate and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  11. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I have already pre-ordered this box set. I could not resist. I also bought the Ten Year War box set that Black Sabbath released, and I was very happy with that one. No problems at all!

12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Great set but still too pricey for me.

13. Trent Northrup

Trent Northrup New Member

This needs to be released on CD and Vinyl. And I'm sorry but Speak of the Devil and Undercover should have been in this. Another release that would be great are the single and EP releases. The So Tired EP has 3 live tracks out of 5 titled, Bark At The Moon-Live, Suicide Solution-Live and Paranoid-Live. These were official releases and this material as yet to be put even on CD. I have literally got 722 CDs of Sabbath with Ozzy and Ozz solo. Most are rare on official bootleg concerts with badass artwork. I have every single official CD single release and every vinyl single release. It's gonna be great to have this but I would like to see the Mr. Crowley EP on CD for the 1st time. The only version of You Said It All that actually made it on a promo CD single was Crazy Babies from 1988.

CBackley likes this.
  14. Trent Northrup

Trent Northrup New Member

Ozzy has a lot of single edits from the early to mid '80s that never made it to CD. Well I have digitally transferred all tracks of Sabbath and Ozzy that have never made it to CD. They're on there now and digitally fit to the track and you can't tell that they came from an LP or 45. I just completed Monomania from the new Sabbath Box Set and did the Sabbath singles last year. Nothing of Ozzy's in my house have gone without being put on CD.

15. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

It sounds like the snippet in the video from “Mr. Crowley“ is the 2002 one with the replaced bass and drums. You can hear how the timing is off after Ozzy sings “what went on in your head“, as was often the case with those versions. I would have to listen to “Diary of a Madman“ closer. I wonder if they are using those versions just for the video to avoid royalty issues with the video being played or if that’s what the albums will have. I don’t see why they would use the 2002 versions when the 30th Anniversary went back to the originals. However, it seems source details haven’t been announced other than the No More Tears info.

Nice the “Mr. Crowley” live EP is in there but I agree, it should have been in the 30th Anniversary set along with the other things that didn’t make it. “You Said It All” is a great track. Bob Daisley talks about the recording and writing of the song in detail in his book For Facts Sake. It’s a great read if you haven’t picked it up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. sandimascharvel

I had bought the 30th anniversary box set and had kept an eye on the price and discounts but I never saw any.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh dear...

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

as far as i know they swore they'd never use the 2002 versions again

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  19. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

In 2002, how many of Ozzy's old albums did they re-record?

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

You seem like the person to ask...that live Mr Crowley EP, what show is it from?

And do you have a fave or think there is a best show fron the Rhodes era?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. sandimascharvel

Blizzard and Diary had the percussion and bass replaced and maybe Bob’s harmony vocals. Bark was basically unmixed - it’s raw and doesn’t have the effects added in (the like guitar growl in the title track) and also doesn’t have some parts of You’re No Different and Rock and Roll Rebel edited or rearranged. It’s interesting and the guitar sounds heavier but it sounds empty and unfinished in some parts so I prefer the original because I’ve been listening to it since release day. Slow Down and One Up The B Side are the only two tracks that weren’t unmixed. It is the only appearance of the latter on a CD.

Matthew Tate and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  22. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Can anyone who has pre-ordered confirm if they charge your card now or when it ships?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  23. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

I would like to know this as well!

24. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Now

25. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I just pre ordered this. It says that all pre order sales are final and cannot be modified or cancelled. I really, really hope this is worth the money.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.