Ozzy Osbourne vinyl box set due November 19

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Aug 23, 2019.

1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Did the 1995 remasters have any of the changes they did for the 2002 remasters? The 2002 remasters are still on my list of remasters to replace with discs that use the original mastering.

2. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

The 1995’s have the original masterings except The Ultimate Sin has an edited version of Shot in the Dark, although I think this mastering tames the brightness of the original album. ‘95 Blizzard has a volume drop at the beginning of Steal Away. All of the 1995’s are a bit closed in sounding, some have noticeably lower dynamics than the originals, but not like any of the loud and harsh 2002’s (or Blizzard and Diary 2011’s). I like the originals of all the albums except Diary and Ultimate I prefer the 95. The original Diary is more open but has dropouts and a noticeable treble tilt to the right. With the good DAC, the 95 is good but that album I don’t think has ever been done justice on CD.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. sandimascharvel

If it’s ok to interject and answer with some interesting details of what we could have had 8 years ago:
    10/2/1980 Southampton. You Said It All was recorded during soundcheck for that show and crowd noise added after.
    Tribute has 2 songs from this show- Goodbye to Romance and No Bone Movies, what many say are the best two performances on the album.
    10 songs from the show were going to be the 2011 bonus disc of Blizzard and called Southampton Live but it was pulled last minute, the release delayed, and was replaced with a mostly 1981 show (most likely 8-81 Indianapolis) that Bob and Lee didn’t play on and they made it a bonus disc with Diary instead. The guitar solo from 10/2/80 was spliced into this 1981 show and so is the keyboard intro to Mr Crowley.

For me, my overall favorite show is Montreal 1981 (King Biscuit Flower Hour). Flying High Again from this show is on the Ozzy Live disc. This show was rebroadcast by Supergroups and erroneously announced as Indianapolis. Rudy Sarzo confirmed that Cleveland, Montreal and Indianapolis were all professionally taped.

Single best Randy live moment for me:
    1-15-82 band jam - amazing and very classical sounding full out electric instrumental written after Diary and not on any album and follows the guitar solo. Many other dates circulate from the Diary tour with that piece but that one is my personal favorite.

Matthew Tate and Greenalishi like this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Thanks. I'll look out for those shows. Never heard that instrumental. Off to search. Thanks!

sandimascharvel likes this.
  5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Is the new box set available from other on line retailers or just the Ozzy store?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

From my understanding, this will be available exclusively through Ozzy’s store, so if you want it, you’ll have to order from there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m really not sure whether to preorder or wait and see. The biggest question is, how limited?, closely followed by mastering and pressing plant used. It looks like a great set but a lot is not known at this point.

The Woodstock deluxe sold out before release date. I can’t imagine this one will. If it does, egg on my face I guess.

Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

My only issue with this set, and keep in mind I did preorder it, is that it is 150 gram vinyl. For this much money they really should have used 180 gram. I doubt it will make a difference in sound quality, others can chime in there, but it feels cheap.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

If anything, it will save you potential returns due to seam splits.

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

180 gram is pointless. it'll be fine.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Great to see that the Mr Crowley live EP is included. It contains a live version of You Said it All which in my opinion is a really cool track. Not sure if there is a studio version. I would've dropped No Bone Movies from Blizzard of Ozz to be a able to include YSIA.

Ghost of Ziggy and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

My big question that holds me back from purchasing this set is whether any of the late 80's material and beyond will eventually be released for purchase as individual titles? Or is this box set one and done for these reissues/first pressings?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. sandimascharvel

There is no studio version of YSIA, released or unreleased. YSIA is almost studio in a way. It was written quickly, specifically as a new track for the single and recorded during soundcheck and at least the guitar solo was added after in the mobile truck. The crowd noise from the show was added in.

NBM was originally going to be the non-LP b-side to the UK Crazy Train single. It was recorded after all of the other songs and done specifically as a b-side but the band decided to drop You Looking at Me Looking At You from the album in favor of NBM in part due to the fact that Lee Kerslake has a chance to co-write NBM. He joined the band after the other songs were written and putting it in the album allowed him to get a songwriting credit on the album. How quickly that band camaraderie disappeared with the firing him and Bob. Bob later said it was probably a mistake to drop YLAMLAY. I personally like it much better thanNBM. YLAMLAY has some awesome guitar work. 3 verse intro leads plus the solo.

Matthew Tate and Tree-bot like this.
  14. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Thanks for that info. It now makes sense. Cheers!

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

aren't there 2 mixes of NBM?

16. Trace

Trace Senior Member

$500? Hard pass on this one.

After what they did to Daisley & Kerslake, the Osbournes get none of my money. I have original copies of Blizzard Of Ozz through The Ultimate Sin and really, for me, that's all the Ozzy I need. I might consider a stand-alone copy of No More Tears, but would still have to think long and hard on that decision.

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

OK, you’ve convinced me. Ordered.

Jam757, MrEWhite, Juggsnelson and 2 others like this.
  18. sandimascharvel

Indeed. There’s the original mix that was intended for being the non-album b-side. Then they decided to make YLAMLAY the b-side instead so they remixed NBM and took out an x-rated female part towards the end and put in the chant vocals in place. I’ll take the chant vocals over the x-rated part but otherwise I like the original mixing much better - you can hear more detail in the guitar solo and everything sounds more upfront and Ozzy’s vocals don’t sound so distant and dry in comparison. That original mix was going to be a bonus track on the 2002 Blizzard (shown on promo ads as “No Bone Movies -single version”) before they decided to erase Daisley and Kerslake and nix any bonuses with them, and thus, all the less rare stuff for fans to enjoy, and it’s not in this box set either and would have been a nice bonus.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. sandimascharvel

PS- there is also a single remix that was done in 1980 of Goodbye to Romance. Bob talks about it in his book and actually shows a photo of the invoice to Jet records for the remixing session. The single was scrapped and the remix never released. To my knowledge, it has never been leaked. It would’ve been a very nice bonus here and on the 30th anniversary box.

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thank you for the info. I never knew there was a single mix of goodbye to romance. that's crazy

21. sandimascharvel

Me either until I read Bob’s book. Nobody else has ever mentioned it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I really wish Bob and the Oz Co. could get together before deaths happen and release and Randy thing. All of his stuff. Some live shows not released and everything that is possible to fit in box. That i'd love.

sandimascharvel and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Yes, my thoughts exactly - the boys (Geezer, Bill & Tony) probably said "No"; especially after Sharon's behaviour...

24. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I haven't heard any solo OO since Ozzmosis; nothing from the 2000's - guess I better get onto to Spotify...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

So now it seems it is due on the 29th? Is that right or did I make a mistake?

Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.