P-Mount Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iDigital, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

My new (nos) Audio Technica AT450 element has finally arrived. I will mount it tonight on my Technics SL-7. I'm very curious how it sounds.

[​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

Now playing: Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself (1996/RE 2014) with my new AT 450 cartridge. Sounds great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JeffMo and PhilBiker like this.
  3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Very nice! I see you post in the Vinyl thread in Long And Winding. Most of the time when you see my Sony turntable there from my living room it's the same cart. I keep a spare SS445E/U for particularly troublesome records, but the 450 is my "go to" there.

Joyoo likes this.
  4. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

The AT450 is a serious update compared to my previous cartridge. I like it very much. I'm considering to buy a spare one..

JeffMo and PhilBiker like this.
  5. PhilBiker

I recommend the SS445E/U instead - IMO they're just as good - the 450 gets a slight edge on crispness and high end response, but the 445E/U tames sibilance issues better. I very much like having both in my living room, though it is MUCH easier to change them out on my Sony than on my Technics SL-J33 in the office which is like yours. I purchased two of each LOL! Price is too perfect and I won't have to worry about acquiring a high quality P-mount cart for many years now.

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  6. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

SS445E/U is no longer available :shake:

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  7. DJtheAudiophile

DJtheAudiophile Active Member

Hello, I'm looking for a great sounding cartridge for Technics SL-Q200. Any recommendations?

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Seems like most of the good Audio Technica "NOS" bargains have dried up (I bought a few :) )

Why not try a Grado Black2?

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

What price range? The two best (about $200) I have used on my SL-M3 have been:

AT VS w/ Shibata stylus (sold by LP Gear): This one sounds great but really benefits from good amplification (it's 3mv output) Great tracker with softer highs and punchy bass. Slightly more surface noise on some records

Shure M92E w/ Jico SAS stylus (original boron): This one could track anything. Extended highs, but leaner bass. The exact opposite of the one above! The least amount of surface noise I have ever experienced, almost eerily silent at times

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Did you like the new cart?
    Did you try it on your avatar Trafalgar? :)

11. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

Haven't got it mounted yet. Probably be awhile.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I picked up the AT 450 discussed up thread at the bargain price and it sounds terrific on my humble system.

Wish I had Trafalgar on LP!

Donal and PhilBiker like this.
  13. DJtheAudiophile

DJtheAudiophile Active Member

Sorry, what’s a AT VS?

14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

(I have not heard one but: ) It's a cart in the same family as the AT450, but comes with a Shibata stylus, one of the best stylus shapes, and sells for $200. The sound balance will be very similar to the 450, at a slightly lower output (volume), and the Shibata stylus is somewhat gentler to records because it has better contact to the groove, and it might track very difficult grooves a bit better. You can add that VS Shibata stylus to the AT450 - for $180. There's also a stylus shape in-between, the "Vivid Line" stylus, and the "SAS" type is roughly the same type, for around $120.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

What @JohnO said.

It's this one:

LP Gear T4P REFERENCE SERIES VS phono cartridge

I can confirm that it sounds very good. However, output is low (3mv) and it really benefits from good amplification.

Edit - also as an added benefit, unlike some aftermarket Pmount carts, it is fully T4p compliant, meaning the weight is right, as is the measurement from the back of the cart to the center of the stylus and tracks like a boss at 1.25.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

Yah! It's a fine album. They are available, in used record stores and on ebay. Depending on how picky you are, may take a couple tries to get one that's clean enough to suit.

17. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

One of the best P-mount carts I have gotten over the years has been the AT152MLP. Great sound and I was able to upgrade the stylus with the 150mlx and here recently the 160ML on my old QD35. I just had to make a few minor adjustments and find another spring for the anti-skate. One of the worst P-Mount carts. I have ever had the pleasure of owning was a Grado (and it hummed its way out of my life rather quickly). :laugh: I did have a AT92ECD for a little while but it sounded too harsh to my ears. The AT132/142/152 line & the ATm12/m13/m14 line is the way to go if you can still find them.

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same here. I had the Grado Blue and it sounded as dead as a doornail. I didn't have the hum issue (even though I have a Direct Drive) but the sound was akin to playing a cassette on a machine out of alignment.

The stock AT ellipticals can indeed sound a little bright.

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  19. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Those wanting to hear LP Gear's Reference VS versus Ortofon's OMP40 should take a look at my blog page linking to three YT videos.

20. Seakiwi

Seakiwi Active Member

Hi everyone, a very educational thread for someone like me, thanks! I have a Technics SL-QD33 that I have owned since new but really stopped using back in the early 90's with the advent of CDs.

I have just reinstated it and dug out my old vinyl again. It has a P30 cartridge with a stylus that needs replacing but I am interested in getting a better cartridge instead, at a price that is reasonable considering the TT's age and spec.

So after reading this thread, and a number at other sites I have really come down to one of either the AT450 off the auction site or an LP Gear Series VL (don't really want to stretch to the shibata, although Bob's video comparisons have my hand twitching by the purchase button).

The question is which? Anyone used both? Heard both? The specs seem very similar.

Also just how good/bad is the P30 cartridge?

Any help much appreciated!

21. morris_minor

I think you'll find the AT450 and LPG VL sound very, very similar. And as for the P30 - it'll be as good as it's stylus.

Seakiwi likes this.
  22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Nice work! I only listened to the "Pop" video. Did you arrive at a personal preference or clear winner after doing the shoot out?

23. PhilBiker

The P30 is probably very good. I'd look at stylus options, though to be honest you'll spend twice what the whole AT450 costs for a P30 replacement diamond to better the stylus on the 450. Check Voice Of Music some of the Pfansteihl replacements are nice and have the compliance you need. Chances are IME if LPGear has a P30 replacement it won't work at P-mount specs.

24. morris_minor

That's a hard one! The Ortofon has a bit more resolution, but if you weren't comparing them back-to-back I'd be very hard pushed to pick one over the other. As the LPG VS is a lot cheaper I doubt if the OMP40 (if you can get hold of one - or an OMP10+stylus40) would really be worth it. YMMV of course!!

johnny q likes this.
  25. Seakiwi

Seakiwi Active Member

Thanks for the responses guys,

I have ordered an eliptical stylus for the P30 from Gary at VoM and also bought the AT450, now have to wait for them to swim down to NZ!

morris_minor and PhilBiker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.