Packages from UK delayed - anyone else having this problem?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gillcup, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Here's the reply I got when inquiring with a third part seller off of amazon.

Increased security measures delays some mail to USA

In November, the United States Department of Homeland Security increased security measures for items carried on passenger airlines. As a result, mail entering the US from around the world, and including the UK, that would normally be sent via passenger aircraft must now travel by other means, including cargo planes.

The vast majority of items, including letters and Christmas cards, posted prior to the last recommended posting date of 10th December have been and will continue to arrive in the US in time for Christmas. However, these ongoing security issues, combined with the impact of recent severe weather on the movement of mail throughout the UK, are causing delays to some items bound for the US. We’re really sorry for these unavoidable delays and are doing everything we can to keep mail moving out of and into the UK.

Since the middle of November and throughout the recent period of weather related service disruption in parts of the UK, we have implemented a number of contingency plans to ensure as much of our customers’ mail reaches the US as quickly as possible. In finding alternative, available routes and transportation to the US, it’s possible that the delivery pattern of some items may have been interrupted and not all mail will arrive in the sequence in which it was posted. Handling significantly increased volumes of mail at this festive time along with the complexity of reacting at pace to contingency arrangements, means we’re unable to track individual items for customers or identify exactly when in the current arrival patterns deliveries are likely to take place.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and are continuing to work to minimise disruption to our customers, whilst ensuring we comply fully with the US directives and regulations.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My order showed up today. Only took a week. Pretty good.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Glad I stumbled on this thread! I'm still waiting for a shipment that went out on the 14th of December to arrive from the UK and I only just received an Ebay order that was shipped on the 20th of December. Very frustrating but I'm a bit relieved to hear I'm not the only one.

Seems to be UK only though, shipments from Germany and Japan took no time at all to arrive!

4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I just received 4 Wildhearts CDs that I had ordered from Amazon UK on December 11th. They were shipped on December 12th and arrived on January 18th.

5. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I've received a couple DVDs from the UK in the past 2 weeks - still waiting on the vinyl dam to break. Two records in transit since early December... I guess they are taking longer to get through security etc.

6. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Welp, BOTH records arrived today - packaging looked like they had been through the wringer, but they were well protected. Finally can relax and enjoy these expensive LPs...

7. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I received my order from Amazon UK (actually Direct Offers UK) from December 13 - arrived January 18. The item was in a "fatboy" CD case, which arrived totally crushed to pieces. Luckily the seller had already sent me a replacement due to the non-delivery of the first shipment. (It's a 3 CD set that only cost a little over $7 shipped.)

8. My package sent from the UK on December 9 finally arrived yesterday. Of cousre, the LP it contained was nowhere near the described condition of 'near mint' (it's Good+ at best), but that's for another thread :(

9. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Thank you for this. Now the Brit Post Office bashers can give it a rest.

10. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Funny thing is, I'm not American but I'm still waiting on UK parcels from mid-November and mid-December so Royal Mail probably bears the brunt of blame. I doubt that the U.S. Homeland Security would have any bearing on UK-Canada mail.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It seems that Royal Mail is processing new mail in a timely fashion. I just received a CD from the U.K. a week after I paid for it.

Unfortunately, I still have not received CDs from the U.K. that I paid for on December 15th and December 22nd. I'm concerned about these discs.

12. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

This is very much as I would expect. I explained back in post #46 why this happens.

13. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

Mick is spot on here (post 46) it's all about meeting targets and unfortunately any back log is just 'as and when'

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

On eBay, I just won 2 vinyl albums (different sellers).
    Hopefully these won't take too long.

Darryl

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

On a positive note, the CD I bought on December 15th arrived today in perfect condition. It was postmarked December 20th, so it took about five weeks.

16. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Just got a Christmas present from a friend in Scotland....she'd sent it on 16th December and it finally arrived just this morning. All intact and OK though!

17. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Finally got my Steve Hackett LP, it took 6 weeks.

18. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I won an EP and it shipped via Royal "Screw Up" Mail on Dec 10, 2010. It was delivered today Feb 5, 2011. Absolutely the worst service in the world. Royal Mail is inconsistent and unreliable. There is no reason this small package should have taken 57 days to be delivered. It shipped from Henstridge, Somerset UK to South Carolina--dont blame any storms or snow or ice--etc--57 days?????????? They should be ashamed.

19. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Anyone waiting for a parcel from Brisbane Australia?? :help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Got my package today (Royal Mail)
    Postage paid December 13th.

21. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

So far I am cursed...I can't get a damn thing to make it over to me from Amazon UK...I ordered several things just after Christmas that were supposed to arrive by Jan 21, which I thought was a pretty generous estimate. Nothing ever showed up. I waited another week plus, then contacted Amazon whose customer service was great-- they said they would re-send everything. But so far, the delivery date of this second package has come and gone as well, and of course the first one never showed up so now I have two orders out there somewhere just floating around... :shrug:

Thanks for letting me vent... ;)

22. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

:yikes: Yikes!

23. I just got a CD yesterday, that was ordered from the U.K. on December 27th. I was literally a day or two away from requesting a refund.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

25. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Yup, returned a bad LP from e-bay back to the seller, mailed it Dec.16th...seller said it arrived last week....only after I sent him a message wondering if he received the item...go figure.

sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.