Painful Sounds In Music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Sep 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I like it, but what do I know? :cool:

basie-fan likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

More power to you. It's a great song otherwise! I'm sensitive to this sort of very loud snapping or screechy sounds but I'm aware I am in the minority.

3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Screeching noise at the end of the Talking Drum going into Lark Tongue in Aspic 2 track on the King Crimson LTIA album can be tough if you are playing at loud volume.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The intentional distortion at the end of this otherwise awesome remix has me running for the skip button every time:

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

If these sounds are prevalent across different masterings/media, I'd say it was possibly an artistic choice. Something to ponder.

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

How does it compare to previous masterings?

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Wow, that was annoying, and I am just listening at low volume on my Chromebook.

The FRiNgE and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A good tubed headphone amp with the HD650 and a good smooth (not bright) DAC will make it less annoying. Feedback like in that Robin Trower track is always going to be somewhat annoying. Good tube style gear and good source gear can make it less piercing annoying.

timind likes this.
  9. Ham Sandwich

A test for me to find out if gear is too bright or has glare is to listen to violin recordings. I can listen to a live violin up close (played by a good professional) and the sound will not make me wince or make me think it's too bright or has any glare. If good violin recordings make me wince or if they sound bright or like there is glare then that is a big clue that there is something wrong with the sound of the amp and/or DAC and/or headphones.

10. Strat-Mangler

Exactly. No idea if anything could have been done at the mixing stage but I remember this being a soundboard recording of a show that was broadcast on the radio. It wasn't initially an official release. Bootlegs circulated until the demand caught the attention of the record label who put it out officially.

Therefore, I have no idea if the source was sophisticated enough to allow for a volume change at that specific section of the song or not but the end result is a much louder painful sound ruining the end of what is IMHO a perfect song.

timind likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

I have a Line Magnetic 508IA with all carefully selected NOS tubes and gravitate towards a warm laid-back sound. Nothing can tame that type of sound unless it's at the source, really.

12. Ham Sandwich

That sort of feedback sound is always going to be annoying to some degree. A tube amp with a laid-back style of sound can help make it less annoying than a solid state amp that has a brightish sound and a forward aggressive presentation.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

I'll agree with that. I just wish jarring sounds like those would be tamed if possible. They don't enhance the listening experience, that's for sure...

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It's the nature of rock. Suck it up like a man. Or switch to chamber music.

15. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

An artistic choice to auditorily torture you?

Lol.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Wow, and it is annoying at low volume. You "wait for it" then get on with the rest of the song. A more recent remaster may have tamed this.

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Donna Godchaux

18. james

james Summon The Queen

Not nice!

Chris Schoen likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It was meant in jist, of course:laugh:

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, her voice ain't...

21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The PRO USE Japanese Reissue of DSOTM is one of my best examples of this on vinyl.
    Guitar solos are very emphasized, hot and sharp and I have to turn down the volume evey time, otherwise its a great alternative reissue, if you have the cash and gear to play it.

Also, The United States of America - S/T has some sharp psychadelic sound effects that get annoying at high volume.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  22. Leonthepro

Not a problem on my MoFi copy, what do you listen to generally?

23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I sometimes check the region of a song that has ear piercing, unnaturally textured high frequencies in Audacity's Spectrum Analysis listening on my my Mac Mini/Sony MDR V6 headphones. Any peaks in the 8kHz-12kHz that goes above -48db (usually by as much as 6db with overall flat peak response from bass to highs) I do a slow and gradual analog volume increase/decrease using OS volume slider to listen for non-linear jumps or roll off characteristics in these sounds.

That's when I know it's the data, not my system that's the problem.

24. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I listen to the Hoffman mastered CD. The screech is not as prominent as the youtube clip, but it's still there. Maybe MoFi removed it?

25. Leonthepro

Nope, not removed. Listening to the whole album now just because ;^)
    Its there, but not annoying to me really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.