Pairing Wharfedale 10.2 speakers with Yamaha A-S701?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChristopherFletcher, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristopherFletcher

ChristopherFletcher Forum Resident Thread Starter

There have been multiple posts on both the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers (which I bought in part thanks to input from this forum) and the Yamaha A-S701. Can anyone share their experience in pairing these two? I have been upgrading my den system component by component: my current system (Wharfedales plus a mid-range Onkyo AV receiver) sound good at moderate levels (esp with a good quality source from Tidal and the iFi DAC) but get a bit harsh and strident at higher volumes (and I acknowledge the Onkyo is now the weaker link in my system). Yamaha amps and receivers represent great build quality, value, and deliver a very solid sound, but at least to my ears can also sound a bit hard or clinical. Given that the Wharfedale speakers have a smoother, maybe mellower sound, would the Wharfedales and Yamaha amp be a good combination?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It should work fine. I have a set of the same speakers but a different amp. If anything the Yamaha should work better than what I have, because it has substantially more power.

3. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Yamaha have the tendency to sound harsh and shrill
    I would definitely choose another amp
    Marantz are better - Sugden or the like much better

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

yamaha harsh? shrill? hard? clinical? maybe as the OP says it could work with a mellower speaker ... my only experience is with an early 80s A-700 integrated. Clarity, good lateral soundstage, I wouldn't have called it harsh or shrill, or hard ... MAYBE a touch 'clinical'. Maybe my speakers were compatible ... :) I switched to a 60s vintage Dynaco SCA-35 tube integrated amp ... which blew the A-700 away with musicality and ESPECIALLY depth/soundstage rendering, plus sounded more like real musicians playing together. Maybe all those things trumped any 'softness' or 'tubeyness' the SCA imparted on the sound, I didn't notice anything untoward, it just sounded better.

IIUC the new Yamahas are much improved, have at least some depth/space (maybe all there is), mine was very 'flat' sounding WRT soundstage depth but still sounded good.

Hard to say what your reaction would be, of course. I'd agree in general Marantz seems to be characterized as more 'smooth' (and I have owned a Marantz AVR, agree with that) but maybe too smooth in this combo? The Marantz/Sugden would likely sound wonderful too, with a slightly different 'presentation'.

Thinking the Sugden is probably in a different price category ... but its musicality may 'trump' any other potential issues with the combo. After a while your ears/brain get used to things, maybe if it's a little soft, that's a good thing (as you seem to be sensitive to it).

Thinking more, possibly a Marantz (of equivalent cost to the Yamaha) MIGHT be a better choice. Unless the speakers are known to be soft/rolled off/syrupy or whatever.

BTW, Denon seems to = Marantz ... possibly same parent company and maybe design engineers? Integrated Amplifiers, Integrated Stereo Amps some of these are possibly available as open box or even better, factory refurbs. Crutchfield, Accessories4Less, and others ARE authorized dealers for factory refurbs, I've made purchases with no issues, very glad to save money and still have full warranty.

I'll steer clear of most 'scratch and dent' but this Denon PMA-150H Stereo integrated amplifier with HEOS Built-in, Bluetooth®, and Apple AirPlay® 2 at Crutchfield MIGHT be just the ticket (depending on features you need). Maybe you can get detailed information on what exactly is 'scratched' or 'dented'. I bought MA Silver 8 speakers as 'scratch and dent' ... they sound and play well, but the cabinets were more banged up (on the corners) than I would have liked. Not worth the $300 I saved.

The Diamonds are 4 ohm speakers so should get an amp comfortable with that. The Denon I mentioned is rated at 70W into 4 ohms so should have no problems.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 loudspeaker (10.1 review) doesn't mention mellow or whatever, just clear and gorgeous. Seems like if your tastes run to clarity and definition, the Yamaha MIGHT be a better choice ... but maybe at the risk of 'too much' as you seem possibly predermined in that assessment? So ... Denon/Marantz? :) Good luck! and happy listening.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Bananajack likes this.
  5. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Well, it’s a matter of taste said the monkey and bit into the soap
    There are people who like that sound signature (introduced early 70s as natural sound)
    Yamaha before 1974 btw sounded very good, had one - and a CR1020 from 76, which was disgusting
    They won’t be so bad any more, but the musical fluidity (e.g. of a Luxman) is definitely not there

In the end everybody is entitled to create his own hell ;)

Rick58 likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Solid state amps that are properly designed will have a near flat frequency response. The idea that a Yamaha amp is harsh and shrill is forum myth. We have measurement data to verify. I haven't heard many amps that are really nasty sounding. I have heard speakers that are really nasty sounding, with some nasty looking FR plots to match.

Big Blue and BuddhaBob like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

I think its based on old experience with the brand. Maybe Yamaha used to be that way, but not any more. My Yamaha A-S801 is absolutely not harsh and shrill. My Yamaha CD-S300 is also not harsh and shrill. I wish I could say the same about Yamaha's critics.

8. ChristopherFletcher

Thanks for the feedback, folks - and hopefully I haven't been harsh or shrill with my comments on the Yamaha sound (FWIW I own 2 Yamaha keyboards/synthesizers). I'm guessing my course of action should be to actually listen to a couple of Yamaha integrated amps driving speakers similar or identical to mine since my experience is based mostly on Yamaha amps from 20-30 years ago. If anyone is interested I'll let the forum know what I decide to do and how well it worked for me, appreciate the insight here.

Rick58, patient_ot and George P like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

I would suggest you buy one from a seller, like Crutchfield, that will let you audition the A-S701 in your system for 60 days and if you don't like the sound, you can return it for a refund.

Rick58 and patient_ot like this.
  10. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Neither is my Yamaha A-S501.

BuddhaBob, Rick58 and patient_ot like this.
  11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

:D you're quite welcome! and of course my comments are worth as much as the bits it takes to display them! but yes, IIUC, recent Yamaha amps are much improved over at least the one I had (1984). I'd still try to listen to a Yamaha and an equivalent Marantz/Denon integrated amp, and let us know what you feel about them! Thinking the Sugden or equivalent even used is >>$1000 or new, $5000 or more ... so I guess if you have the scratch, go for it! and then upgrading your speakers later to multi-1000 dollar ones won't be wasted.

12. Markymark83

Markymark83 Active Member

I hope the as-501 isn’t harsh! Considering one of these as an upgrade from my denon pma-520ae, the Yamaha seems good value and reasonably powerful, I’m just concerned it’ll be too bright compared to the denon :/

Rick58 likes this.
  13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Wharfedale speakers are "notoriously" smooth - I have a pair of Denton 80th anniversary speakers in my second system and they sound really nice with a low-powered Lepai Class D amplifier.

Rick58 likes this.
  14. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I'm listening to my Wharfedale Diamond 225's now and it's not a huge drop in SQ compared to the Nola's ...
    they don't have the soundstage, impact or the detailed high end, but they're not embarrassing themselves either. They're just great sounding easy to listen speakers.
    It's really hard to go wrong with Wharfedales ... IMO the Diamond series can be matched with almost any modern amp.

jek57 and Rick58 like this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

So the Denon seemed to be $400 when new, the as-501 is $550. Not that price is everything but this could be a lateral move. It might sound different and probably will a little bit, but the sound quality may not be all that much better. Which might be OK if the Yamaha has features that are attractive.

it’s really annoying how the Yamaha integrated amps jump from $900-$2800. They should have a $1200 unit in there. I don’t wanna tell you how to spend your money but it sounds a little more attractive to move up a bit more if you can, maybe look at an equivalent Denon/Marantz unit as well. Then later if you want to upgrade your speakers the amplifier will support that and not be a limiting factor.

Although I have to admit I can’t tell you how much better the Yamaha units will sound as you step up the line from $500-$900.

my own journey that started with the Yamaha a-700 at $500 took a little jaunt to the vintage tube integrated amp, but then I went to a $1200 SS integrated amp which was substantially better in many ways then either of those. So that’s where the $1200 level comes from just in my mind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Markymark83 and patient_ot like this.
  16. Markymark83

Markymark83 Active Member

I have no idea what the Yamaha as-501 or any of the “a-s” series sound like. I’ve read that they are quite neutral sounding which is what I like about the denon, the main thing that I like about the Yamaha is that it’s 85W per channel into 8 ohms compared to my denon which is only 45W into 8 ohms.
    I will have to try and see but it definitely seems good value and reviews seem pretty favorable.

Rick58 likes this.
  17. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I don't have the exact combo you are asking about but I do have a Yamaha AS-500 paired with some Wharfedale Diamond 240s. So similar anyway. I am really happy with how these speakers pair up with the Yamaha. Very nice neutral sound, nothing harsh or shrill about it. I would think the 701 paired up with those Wharfedales you have would be really nice. I'd go for it, that Yam is a beast of an integrated!

jek57 and patient_ot like this.
  18. ChristopherFletcher

Thanks, your set up is very similar to mine (and 1 correction from my prior post, the 240s you have are towers, not bookshelf speakers like mine, so my bad - altho I can see myself upgrading to towers in the not so distant future) so your input's especially useful here. I'm guessing at 85w/channel there is plenty of power to drive the 240s, is there anything about the Yamaha you don't like? And just wondering, Black or Silver?

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

I once owned the 10.2s with my A-S500. The pairing was more than good for the price. The 701 will definitely be an upgrade over your mid-level Onkyo AVR.

Big Blue likes this.
  20. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I have a Yamaha receiver, the RS202 with klipsch RP 16o m speakers. I’m I thinking about jumping to the Yamaha integrated amp AS501. So. I have been studying the pros and cons of their amps.

Now, almost all the customer reviews I have read about their amps are good as are the professional reviews. The technical data is a bit daunting, but the bottom line is they produce a well liked and respected product. I suppose it’s like someone else posted, it’s a personal issue. Most online companies provide the buyer with a 60 day or so tryout period. So if you don’t like it, send it back.

Rick58 likes this.
  21. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Honestly I can't really think of anything I don't like about the Yam considering its's cost. It will absolutely crank up way louder than any reasonable person would need in an average size room. The 701 of course has even more power. My speakers are actually 4 ohm or in that neighborhood according to Wharfedale's specs and the Yam has no problem at all driving them. It doesn't even break a sweat! Mine is black but the silver ones are really cool looking too.

BuddhaBob and Rick58 like this.
  22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Seems like the 501 should be a significant step up in quality compared to what you have now. I would suggest listening to all the speakers you have to see which one sounds the best. In my opinion the Yamaha should support an upgrade to your speakers maybe to the Wharfdale ones mentioned in this thread or even the Lintons which I am very much interested in as well. Seems like the Yamaha plus possibly better speakers could be a very satisfying system. Of course the Yamaha with your current speakers hopefully would be an improvement and be satisfying for many years as well.

Maybe it’s not possible economically or practically, but even if you don’t hear a huge improvement in sound quality, the Yamaha could provide a good basis for an improved system as I’m suggesting, as further upgrades come along. Hopefully you’ll get enough of an improvement immediately to make this all appealing and possible.

Another advantage is that the Yamaha has a seemingly excellent photo section, which you could use with your present turntables. It should be an improvement over the inexpensive ones built into the turntables.

23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Floor Standing Speakers: Tower Speakers - Crutchfield.com I don’t know if the filter will come through in this post (nope) but it looks like Wharfedale has some pretty darn good floorstanding speakers available in the $400-$1000/pair range. The Yamaha 501 should drive any of these very well.

The kicker is how much to risk? The cheapest pair are scratch and dent which might be OK if you’re not concerned with cosmetics. That’s how I got my floorstanding speakers, although when I saw the corners were banged up I had second thoughts. They work just fine and the drivers were not damaged at all.

One of our cats just knocked something over so my left hand speaker has a big scratch on the side. I guess an extra scratch in the scratch and dent category isn’t important. So I guess I’m glad I did get the scratch and dent version ... :rolleyes: :D

24. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Thanks. You put it just as I was thinking. The amp will be an upgrade no matter what effect it will have on the sound. I think my Klipsch are decent and efficient speakers. Hopefully I’ll notice improved sound quality. Hi

Rick58 likes this.
  25. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hey if I didn't mention it and you aren't aware, buying new, factory refurbished electronics is IMHO the way to go. Look at places like Crutchfield, Accessories4Less, even Audio Advisor (there are others I know). These are all factory authorized resellers of new and refurb gear, so full warranties are given. I got my last 2 expensive electronics at great GREAT prices ... no issues at all. The speakers were 'scratch and dent' which I can't say I'd recommend, unless you can get pictures and descriptions (which I did not attempt). The corners of the speakers were banged up and there's even a crack ... which I don't THINK is affecting performance. The speaker cones themselves are fine, but I did recently note a broken tweeter wire inside, which I was able to fix. Whether it happened (almost to the breaking point) before I received them, or during a subsequent move ... I'll never know, but the $300 off the $2000 retail price didn't seem really worth it after the fact. There are sales and open box units (which I'd consider again) available if you're patient and look around.

But I'd still 100% recommend the factory refurb route for basic main gear (preamps, amps, integrateds, receivers ...).

OOPS guess I did mention it, but it's worth repeating over and over ... :rolleyes: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.