Pan & Scan and 1957 "A Hatful of Rain"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by peter, Dec 1, 2022.

1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

So, I am very fond of this movie, having seen it once on TV many years ago.

The comments below the amazon dvd listing for it say that the version amazon sells is in "pan and scan" and that, as a result, a piece of the film, to the left and right of the image is cut off. Fine, I understand that.

Last night, I found the movie on amazon prime and rented it, and it did seem to me that the picture looked a little off, though I cannot say that I noticed anything "missing" from the screen.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Can someone please explain a bit more about what "pan and scan" is and why a dvd release of a historically important movie would be transferred like this?

2. Is the amazon prime version of this movie that I am watching in "pan and scan?"

3. If I first saw this film well before the dvd era (which I did), was what I viewed on TV back in
    the day also in "pan and scan?"

4. Was the VHS of this movie, if there was one, in pan and scan?

Many thanks to all.

P.S. After initially making this post, I re-read the amazon reviews. According to one review from 2019, the amazon prime streaming version has been restored to Cinemascope. That must explain why I didn't notice anything missing from the images.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I don't recall A HATFUL OF RAIN ever having a VHS release. Not seen one in 35 years of video collecting.

3. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

TCM did a great explanation of this - I found it on youtube:

4. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank you to both responders. I just watched the video. Very informative. Thank you.