Panasonic LX-600 LD player question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David R. Modny, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

Anyone here have one of these players, or a good working knowledge of it? I have some questions - to follow shortly.

TIA
    Dave

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have other model Panasonics, possibly I can help you some? LX-1000U, which actually just died, maybe permanently? ..and a Denon clone of the LX-900. I think your's is proably a generation newer than the 900...?

3. David R. Modny

I believe the 600 and the 900 were out around '92/'93, with the 900 being the "bigger brother" in terms of performance and features. In fact, that's kind of my question.

I was aware that the 900 had the digital video noise reduction circuit - a fixed one at that. Yet, while recently browsing through some old reviews of the 600 on Usenet, someone stated that the 600 too had the DVNR - accessed by hitting the "Edit" button on the machine. Well, I recently added this machine to my "collection," and the Edit button has nothing to do with DVNR. In fact, I don't see anything else on the faceplate or remote that would indicate that the machine even has it. So, that's my question: Does the 600 have the DVNR circuit? Is there some "magic" button combination that I'm missing? I was always under the impression that only the 900 had it...so the review I read did indeed throw me for a loop. Unfortunately, I don't have an owner's manual, and on Panasonic's site I was only able to find a PDF of the later 670 machine (which definitely didn't have the circuit).

FWIW, I've been putting some older LD players through the motions lately, trying to get a grasp on some performance differences. I was pleasantly shocked at how well the 600 held up overall. The usual chroma noise issues, but a sharp and richly saturated picture... with maybe just a bit more background and edge noise than some other machines I have. Strangely one thing I did notice; When playing back a side using the flipper, auto-reverse function instead of straight up, the black level seemed slightly more squashed on the former. Very strange.

Know anything about DVNR on the 600, Rachel?...I'm stumped.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My bet is that if the deck has it, it's preset and permanent. My Denon clone has a button for NR, and without going and looking, either 2 or 3 levels of the effect...?

I remember the 600 now. I wish I'd bought one rather than the stinkin' Sony MDP-333 that I did buy back in that in that time zone. I too, was mixing the 600 and 670 up. I got the stinkin' Sony on sale and foolishly choose it over Panasonic and Pioneer players I could'a had.

Somebody who might know is Kurtis Bahr over at AVS Forum. He repairs and modifys LD players. He disconnects the NR on CLD-97's, his fav player. He may not have droped down to the 600? But maybe? I asked him if he had any 1000U parts yesterday and he did not. He said he does have 900 parts though. There's an LD thread going over there on the DVD (standard def) Forum that he's been on. Pop over there and ask him or PM him.

I'd never use the NR on my Denon unless the disc was fundamentally flawed, not so uncommon. I might flip it on to see if it helped that particular flunky disc. LD players's operation is generally pretty straight forward. If you have no switch that sez so, it proably ain't so. You could ask Kurtis though and see if he's disected one. :)

5. David R. Modny

Thanks Rachel. I posted the question over on the alt.video.laserdisc newsgoup, so maybe someone over there will bite.

take care,
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.