Panasonic to quit making plasma TVs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

3. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

This totally sucks....wow

sound chaser likes this.
  4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh man. Lousy news. Looks like plasma is quickly becoming a dying technology. Shame. Hopefully the OLED displays we keep being promised will make up for the loss of plasma. LCD screens have improved dramatically but still don't match the cinema quality of plasma, IMHO.

dan c

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Really bad.

One senses Samsung will see the writing on the wall and follow suit. Even if they do have deeper CE pockets.

The whole freakin' globe is being downsized.

Nothin' but Lowest Common Denominator for the shlubs going forward.

Come on, Lotto.

6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Damn. I have to definitely take care of my Panasonic plasma (3 years old), and invest in the last of the latest plasma sets from them.

sound chaser and kevintomb like this.
  7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Im willing to bet they will cost too much in comparison for any picture advantages they have over plasma, OR they will have some serious flaws the first few years, that will keep most from buying them....ehh bad news wither way!!

8. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Thats interesting
    I have just been talking to a large Panny dealer who was just back from Cannes and a Panasonic Dealership Event
    He met their Plasma Director and Designer and showed me the latest set
    Its display was excellent and its speed through the menu quite amazing
    Oleds are a long way off and still v expensive
    He knew nothing about the demise of plasma, he thought my Kuro screen would last many years and the box fail first.
    The Kuro dream must survive!

SBurke and hi_watt like this.
  9. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

This was rumored last year but then they came out with new sets for 2013.

10. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Yeah, and it was widely reported in 2011 that major record companies would stop making CDs by the end of 2012... That didn't happen and it's similarly unlikely that Panasonic will ditch plasma for an unproven format.

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

That stinks, but Samsung makes some quality plasmas

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Gotta say, I love my Panasonic plasma. Hope they continue.

sound chaser, aoxomoxoa and Larry Mc like this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Maybe merge this with the Plasma thread?

But yeah, my VT50 is amazing. I love it. I've gotta a ZT60 in my future and my VT50 has even been pre-sold to a friend. The ZT60 was going to be my "long-term" panel and last plasma. OLED better have an affordable mega-sized within 5-7 years with the best PQ ever achieved by a consumer panel.

I wonder if Panny would pull out all the stops if 2014 is the final model year (or perhaps the ZT60 is it)? They have a sick pro model that came out a few years which is said to have taken the crown from Kuro (all-around). The technology is there, but is it feasible while meeting power consumption mandates?

In any event, bring on OLED. So who will be the Pioneer/Panny of OLED!? I'll be ready for an 84" with no compromise reference PQ at under $5 grand in 5-7 years.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The original source for this was Reuters' news service:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/18/us-panasonic-plasmatv-idUSBRE92H00020130318

Japan's Panasonic Corp is leaning towards withdrawing from plasma television operations as part of a downsizing of its television business over three years starting next fiscal year, the Nikkei newspaper said on Monday.

It is said when a really good technology doesn't sell as well as a superior technology, so it fails and fades due to economics, not quality.

I'd be glad to take one of Dolby's $40,000 LCD pro video mastering monitors:

[​IMG]

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professi.../prm-4200-professional-reference-monitor.html

15. Have to pay attention and see when they launch their final models and get one before they become extinct. Hopefully that one will last until something truly better comes along.

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Shame. Love them.

17. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Power consumption is throttling Plasmas it seems
    Surely we have choice?
    I like a warm screen,but I live in a damp cool country.

phil1db likes this.
  18. I'm not surprised, as they are losing money, as are Sony and Sharp, in TVs. The whole market has gotten downmarket due to price competition rather than performance. TVs have never been cheaper, yet, try to go to a TV store and find a TV 40" or under that has more than 1-2 connectors or audio outs or has a processor that can handle motion even remotely correctly. Just cheap stuff and a lot of the really low end is rebranded contract made stuff, even if they are TV manufacturer and well known brand.

Not everyone needs a big screen, but even those are cheap, now. Big and/or cheap seems to sell.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma/power-consumption-and-electricity-cost

"The next chart shows the yearly cost if the television is watched 5 hours per day for 365 days, at a cost of electricity of 0.11$ per kWh.
    As you can see in the chart, a Plasma television does cost significantly more electricity than a LED TV. However, the resulting cost at the end of the year is not very big, about 40$ more for a 50" plasma. On a 5 year period, the total amount saved would be 200$.
    As mentioned previously here, a Plasma TV cost on average 350$ less than a LED TV for the same size. Based on this, it will take 8.75 years for the total cost of ownership (initial cost + electricity cost) of a plasma television to surpass its LED counterpart. If you plan to own and use your television for more than 8.75 years, a LED television will end up costing you less in its lifetime than a Plasma TV."

I underlined the "...5 hours per day..." part because I know we only watch maybe 2 hours per day, on average.

Is the power consumption actually much greater, and does that affect many consumer's buying choices?

20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It has been opined by many LD buffs that LaserDiscs look better on plasmas connected direct than they do on LCDs connected direct, unless you either have a scaler that converts up to 1080p from composite or S-Video, or at the bare minimum, one of the vintage video enhancers such as the VIP Hybrid-8 and similar products.

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love my Panasonic Plasma. I am only lukewarm about my Samsung LCD. That is a real shame, nothing beats Panasonic Plasma to my eyes.

sound chaser and HAmmer like this.
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very sad news...

23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Unfortunate but not unexpected.

There is just enough room in my cabinet for a new TC-P55ST60. I'm going to sell my Panasonic 50" plasma that's only 4 years old and get this one. 5" more and a brand new model, and my last Panasonic plasma. It should satisfy me until I see something better.

Wow. I just did the math. That 10% bigger screen, that extra 5", gives me almost a 22% increase in picture area. Well worth doing. :thumbsup:

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I love my Panasonic 55VT50 and it was the best television of the last year.
    Outstanding picture quality and reference model.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Shame good quality is going out the window..... You can't beat plasma IMHO....

People just want the cheap stuff anymore....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.