Panasonic to quit making plasma TVs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Haven't noticed that really. TV channel logos seem much more of a problem.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The logo for Fox Sports, in the top right, left a mark after watching Braves Baseball a number of games. Last fall, after watching a football game on ESPN, after the game I left the set on Sports Center whilst we played some Jr. Pacman for a few hours. The next day I could see the "stack" of upcoming stories that are piled vertically on the left side of the screen. There was the outlines of the little boxes that contained the story titles. The local NBC News channel stacks stories on the left just like ESPN does. I've seen some very faint IR outlines of bottom scrolls that channel after channel employ. It's all healed up after swearing off the offending material.

Now, I watch sports on my 42" plasma and I don't worry what happens to it. I've reserved my 60" plasma for movies.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My daughter's not that into console games anyway, but I relegated the Wii to the downstairs CRT set.

4. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Plasma was also hurt by its higher energy consumption and it's failure to be able to meet EU energy standards. When the VT50 or VT60 was released in the UK and Europe people were complaining about how dull the images were but that was because they had been wound right back for sale to meet the requisite energy standards. The inability to be able to produce a 4k model that wouldn't heat your house was pretty much the end.

I have seen a DLP chip with a Fox Sports logo embedded into it many years ago. Someone from Australia took it with him to a trade show in the USA to show Texas Instruments that their claim that DLP didn't suffer from burn in to be not quite true.

And contrary to belief, OLED does suffer from burn in. Now that the technology has been available for a couple of years, the feedback is coming in that OLED is prone this phenomena. One of the first cases was the demonstration set in Harrods London that LG insisted they display the on-screen menu , suffered from severe burn in. Videophiles going in to look at the set were stunned by the visible amount of burn in on the set. And owners are now coming forward with their own tales of burn in.

I own a 65" VT60 that has been professionally calibrated and the image on it is utterly stunning. It only displays what is fed into it so bad content has all its flaws exposed whereas good content looks amazing. The black levels are gorgeous and I always watch movies with the lights out. I very occasionally see a very slight degree of image retention but that goes away once the channel or content has been changed.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The last generation of Samsung plasma TVs had much reduced power consumption compared to other plasmas, at calibrated settings. I don't know how they rated compared with EU standards, but I do know were much better then before.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

My 60" VT60 has calibrated profiles for each Night, Day and 3D. I use the "Day" when there are lights on or natural light. Most of my viewing is at night with no lights. It's great not having a backlight for illumination (as with LCDs). I've never experienced even the slightest fatigue. The gray scale, color accuracy and color saturation are able to be calibrated nearly perfectly on this panel. Quite an experience.

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The answer to all this burn-in is to get dem krazy baldheads at the networks to make their static logos, scrolls, and information boxes to slightly, subtly move. There's something wrong with the picture when the broadcasters actively damage our sets, of every type.

Jimi Bat, chacha and stereoptic like this.
  8. I recently bought a 60" Samsung 3D Plasma and it never seems to have the image retention that my older 50" Samsung Plasma did. I've never had to use the feature to wipe the retention but I had to frequently with the old TV. The picture quality (or maybe it's the bigger size or both) is such that I can now see that my satellite "high def" is noticeably not as high def as my blu ray player is. I can now see the difference between 1080p and 1080i.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think that's true. California had very tight energy restrictions as well, and somehow Panasonic was able to meet those by the time of the deadline. I really and truly believe that the reason for the end of plasma was that Panasonic would never have been able to make one that could sell for $10 per inch, which LCDs are routinely selling for now.

Eh, but it's not permanent image retention. Not that big a deal. I color-correct on a Panasonic BT300 plasma both at home and at work, and I'm perfectly satisfied with the pictures. We do routinely let the monitor sit on a gray screen for an hour once a week, but other than that we just try not to do anything stupid, like leave the screen up with bright images on it. I concede that cable-channel logos, sports scores, and video game graphics wreak havoc on all kinds of sets. But I think the real-world damage is very minor if you just use a little caution.

10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

That's my experience. I have an older Panasonic 50" circa 2012 that is used exclusively for games by my sons. They use it at normal "cinema" levels with no burn-in and little IR. On my main set, a VT50, the only thing I've ever noticed some IR on is the little "mute" logo from my DVR. It goes away after a few minutes of normal viewing.

John K.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My "ST50" is dark for 3D.
    But even 2D looks stunning, ie; a humble"Missing"DVD.

12. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Is the Panny's built-in horizontal scrolling vertical gray bar worth running or is there a better way?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just get a test pattern of full-screen 40% gray and leave it up for an hour or two and see what happens. But I haven't run into any plasmas with permanent burns. Again, we run ours at 30fL, which is much less bright than most average consumer displays, and I think this helps.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, it is. I run a similar grayscale pattern scan on my Samsung plasma from time to time. It does help if you get logo/score-card impressions from say watching sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.