Panny Plasma Prime Problem possibly procuring Perpetuity (heh heh)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Aug 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Since I know so many of you have at least at one time, owned a Panasonic teevee and perhaps still do, I thought somebody should bring it up here in the Video forum. As with other things that don't last forever, the Amazon Prime app that came with your set, will probably stop working for you as of late September.

My Panny plasma is from waaaay back in 2001 (and I'm keeping it until a 3D option becomes an inexpensive possibility). I've already lost ability to use the YouTube app on it, and there really ain't a helluva lot of other apps worth using on the old VieraCast platform anymore anyway. But I have used that creaky old Amazon Prime app from time to time even this year, and that's about to run out of gas.

Mr. Bezos and company have generously offered a $25 discount on selected FireStick options to help navigate the trauma, and you have probably received an e-mail covering that already if Prime is a part of your life. (Just in case you have not, or don't care to look, there was a code that came with that e-mail. should you choose to take Amazon up on their offer).

Just a friendly heads-up from your neighborhood Sultan Of Snark! :wave:

unclefred and JackBnimble like this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

My cable company allows me to access Amazon Prime through the cable box without hooking up the Firestick hardware. Just connect accounts, which took me about 10 minutes. Check your local cable provider!

stereoptic and audiomixer like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Since we don't use set-top boxes, we access our streaming through the TiVo or other DVR's, which is a pretty ubiquitous choice. But, for people used to using the app on the TV itself, I thought this would be a good place to bring this up.

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive got em both and would go with roku before the firestick....much smoother and easier use (ymmv)

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Give up, drop the Pioneer Plasma off at Goodwill, and buy a new LG OLED.

There are all kinds of players and boxes out there that give you multiple streaming apps very inexpensively. Basically, you can get everything but iTunes in one box... and the Apple TV box does give you Amazon and Netflix as well.

stereoptic, ggergm and Mazzy like this.
  6. Yup. 18 year old TV. Sorry but it’s time to move on. You’ll get more bang for your buck now than back then.

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

In addition to the above recommendations about getting a new set, I think you should use a separate streamer, like the FireStick you mentioned. I still use a Panasonic plasma (not as old as yours), but I've never used the "smart"functions on it. It's always been troublesome - either not connecting at all, or very slow.

I used to use a Sony BD player's apps, but they don't allow us to download additional apps. I've used an AppleTV for several years, and love it.

8. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I get the same message on my 2013 Panasonic P55VT60. To be honest the app's been a pain in the backside for years.

But the TV ain't going nowhere (still a wonderful picture), and Amazon can keep their clunky app.

9. I have the last and greatest 60" Panny Plasma from late 2013. It still looks great. I've never used the included apps. I have an Apple TV which is perfect fir Apple, Netflix, Prime, YouTube and pretty much everything else.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I have the last generation Samsung plasma from the same time, and find that the Prime video app has been acting up on it as well. Apple TV works perfectly for streaming.

11. That's too bad . I have no problems with any if the APPS acting up or stalling out. That seems more of a cable or satellite thing rather than the app

12. Dillydipper

You missed the part where no, I am not going to get rid of the only television in the house I need to watch my 3D blurays.

I also have plenty of my own ways of watching Netflix, Prime and other unconventional video, and use these as well.
    This is just me mentioning for others who use that app, on that brand set, that they too would have to make other arrangements if that is their preferred method.
    You don't need to help correct me for offering up the information.

FWIW, like other people getting on in years, I watched both Mrs. Maisel and High Castle just this year using my app on that set, with no issues, and simply enjoyed having the option of doing it the same way I had done it for several years without incident. I like it when something I pay a lot of money for, continues to work as intended, simply because there is nothing wrong with the device. I don't see a flaw in this logic.

I do see a flaw in a lot of people who didn't pay my money to buy my set, telling me I don't deserve to enjoy it anymore. Would you like to see my receipt?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just be aware that's going away as a future option.

I've spent more money on video screens than you can possibly imagine (I'm guessing north of $50K), but I recognize that after a certain number of years, they wear out and perform badly. If you don't mind looking at a 18-year-old 720P* set that looks like absolute crap, please, go right ahead -- don't let me stop you. Just be aware there is an "expiration date" in the number of hours a tube or a light valve or an LCD or an LED or a plasma light source can perform before it falls apart. As the great Isaac Asimov said more than half a century ago: "entropy cannot be reversed."

I know there are lots of people around here who love vintage gear and enjoy listening to 50- or 60-year-old tube amplifiers and speakers, and I agree that if you can keep them repaired (and if the speaker cones haven't deteriorated), they can sound almost as good as they did the year they were made. But video screens, TV sets, and projectors are not in that category. They get old... they start looking like crap. If you have the courage, hire a calibration guy to come over and he or she can measure it and show you scientifically just how bad it is. It's a sobering experience to go through, lemme tell you.

* I'm assuming by "2001" you mean the Panasonic TH-42PWD3, which was technically 852 x 480, nowhere near 1920 x 1080. We had to use one of those for Michael Mann project back in the day so that he could see the final color close to what we were seeing in the mastering room. Except for the loss of resolution, it wasn't a terrible set 18 years ago. But the panels do burn out over time, and that's the one thing you can't easily replace.

Panasonic Plasma TV Display Monitor - Buying Guide

I think these are wise words. I have to say, I'm shocked with what you can get for $1000 today: a set with half this performance was $7000 ten years ago.

numer9 likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Vidiot, your first response, is the precise reason the further, longer response, is irrelevant to me.

Of course I get there is a shelf-life to everything. I'm fine being another Joan of Arc fighting the Future-Proof War. (Oh, and, TC-P50GT25; 2001 was my misprint, it was 2010)

But, they couldn't take my Beta, because I have a backup. They couldn't take my Videodisc, because I can get another. They couldn't stop me from watching VHS, because nobody's tried to outlaw it. They couldn't even take my DVD...because (those fools-!) they made Blu-Ray backward-compatible. :biglaugh:AND...now I can haz NAS. :wiggle:

But...if they want to take my 3D...well, just like Charlton Heston said..."cold, dead fingers...". :mad:

arley likes this.
  15. arley

arley Forum Resident

Do understand that Panasonic does not support its televisions any more (IIRC, they don't make any televisions any more). I had a terrific 3D Panny plasma of recent vintage (vt60) and loved it--then a board conked out. Panasonic did not stock parts, and the replacement board was $$$ on the used market. Cost about $700 parts and labor to fix it--then the replacement board conked out a few months later. Hindsight is 20/20, and in retrospect it would have been far wiser to take that $700 and apply it toward the purchase of a good LG OLED, which is the only product out there that IMHO is close to the beauty and brilliance of the late, great Panasonic Plasma.

Moral of the story: start saving now for a replacement, and when that Panny conks out give it a good funeral and move on.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Isn't Heston dead?

numer9, ggergm and arley like this.
  17. Dillydipper

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Does any manufacturer still make "new" 3D flatscreens any longer? Dillydip, you may have missed the boat on 3D.

19. I tried the 3d option when I bought my new Panny in early 2014. Not a great gimmick imho. Never used the 3D again.

arley likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I love my 50" Panny plasma. Got it around 2005 and have never had a problem. Didn't come with any apps on it, and I use a Roku for all of those. I will never give this set up until it dies.

Jerry likes this.
  21. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have a 2011 Panasonic Plasma and I got this message recently too. I think the end date is Sept 26th, 2019.

The thing is, my Panasonic's Netflix app has been really annoying for about the past 2 years. About once a month it would freeze on the red loading screen. There was nothing I could do to get past it except to reset the whole TV to its factory settings. And that meant going through and fixing the picture settings again (for each input!). I finally got fed up enough with that and got a separate device to watch Netflix through. It was nice to have everything in one device (and one remote), but only if it works.

My Panasonic Amazon Prime Video app has been flawless though, even as I used it earlier today. I'm sorry that it's going away, but since I have other options to watch because of the Netflix issue, I'm ready to go with that too.

22. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I have the last year 65" VT, and it is not going to goodwill. Never used the apps, a DVR is a necessity, and my TIVO has all the apps I want.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Not to rub it in, but that is exactly what I did. My Panasonic Plasma board got zapped during a lightning storm last year. Unfortunately, I had unplugged it from the surge protector a few weeks before to do some temporary moves, and never plugged it back! Anyway, I researched it, found the part that had to be replaced on a few websites and watched a video on the replace. I actually found someone knowledgeable at Best Buy who told me that they could fix it for $400 or so, but based upon his experience they eventually break down again, as the new board sometimes doesn't play nice with the older parts like the power supply, etc. I bought an LG OLED and the picture is fantastic, especially 4K HDR on amazon and netfix is exquisite. but alas no more 3-D.

arley, Jerry and SamS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.