Parasite (2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by humanbeing, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Handy reference link.
    Thx!:righton:

Bruce Racket likes this.
  2. alexpop

No vanilla, more a killer...movie.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I found nothing about 1917 "boring". "Once Upon a Time" dragged in places for sure. I didn't even bother with "The Irishman". Ain't nobody got time for that.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  4. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I finally got around to watching it on VOD on Saturday/Sunday. Really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but maybe I was overhyped. I thought it was a little heavy-handed. (And one of the big parts was spoiled for me, so I"m wondering how that impacted my enjoyment.) Definitely and definitively not bad, but not for me really. I thought I'd love it. I didn't.

5. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Any ideas as to the stereo systems? Only items I could identify were some Infinity speakers in the master bedroom.. Loved the movie....the best Korean movie I have seen since viewing Hanyo from 1960 on TCM several years ago.

davenav and George P like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

USA 1930s: 1940s : 1950s
    USA 1960s
    USA 1970s, 1980s, 1990s,2000s,2010,2020...

lol

alexpop likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I saw Parasite going in blind before the hype. I actually thought because of the name it was going to be disturbing like The Human Centipede.

EVOLVIST, brownie61 and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Wasn't thinking low life's = ie; scum = parasite.

brownie61 and Brenald79 like this.
  9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

There are so many great Korean films which have appeared over the last few years, and hopefully Parasite will lead to fans of the film seeking out a quite incredible back catalogue from Korea. I haven’t seen the film you mention, but will check it out. For those who enjoyed Parasite, and I thought it was stunning, and fully deserved the win, I recommend Boon’s earlier film, Memories Of Murder. I actually didn’t realise he made this one, but I saw it when it was first released, and it is superb.

Mazzy, alexpop and George P like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I could definitely relate to this movie living and working in the 2nd most expensive city in N.America. You can feel like a parasite next to the immensely wealthy lol.

Bruce Racket and alexpop like this.
  11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Not a chance! :D

George P likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To be fair, "Parasite" really did seem like a longshot to win. "Roma" was probably more acclaimed last year and it didn't win.

Granted, some of that might've been anti-Netflix backlash, but the existence of the Best International Film award generally will make it tougher for one of those flicks to take home BP.

Will "Parasite" open those doors? Maybe, but I wouldn't view it as a sign that non-English-language flicks will suddenly start to take home BP trophies in droves...

GodShifter likes this.
  13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

No, I didn’t think it would win. I thought it would go to something like 1917. I’m pleased it won, because it’s rare I rate a Best Picture winner, and kind of makes up for what I thought was one of the worst Oscar decisions; Rocky winning over Taxi Driver in 1976.

Bruce Racket and Mazzy like this.
  14. Roma just wasn't all that good.

15. Agree that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was only mildly interesting. It felt like Tarantino by numbers to me (and I don't love his films anyway, except for the occasionally witty dialogue).

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Roma was my favorite film last year by a mile. A stunning picture.Beautiful. But I get that it wasn't for everyone.

17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i haven't seen all in the list but...I SAW THE DEVIL is one 'disturbing' movie....if that's your kind of thing then heavily recommended (think i saw it on netflix while back so it may still be on there).

aroney and Bruce Racket like this.
  18. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Roma was excellent, and I notice it’s getting a Criterion release next month.

Yayastone, trumpet sounds and Mazzy like this.
  19. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

No movie is perfect, and I don't expect it. Once I read Parasite is not some evil or monster flick I could not wait to see it. And I liked it a lot, but the naive rich family did get me off track at first. So I had to re-group and try again :cool:

20. humanbeing

humanbeing Forum Resident Thread Starter

21. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I've seen the original "The Handmaiden" and it just didn't move me. I also saw the Park Chan-Wook remake and it was his only movie I didn't absolutely love.
    Now the masterpiece “Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter … and Spring” blew my mind. Simply amazing and very moving.

22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I enjoyed the movie a lot. The dialogue is excellent and the story is very original.

davenav and George P like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:: shrug :::

You can't win them all.

24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm looking forward to seeing it, I've seen a few of Ho's films and enjoyed them. The Korean film industry creates some very intense films. Old Boy, A bittersweet life and I Saw the Devil are favorites.

Bruce Racket and GodShifter like this.
  25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

How long before a Hollywood "Parasite" remake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.